Quick Reataurant Review

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Richard M

Quick Reataurant Review

Post by Richard M »

Here's a quick review of the restaurants we visited last week

Bonkers: Good food, but I thought a bit expensive for quite small portions, would recommend visiting for the great breakfasts or cocktail hour (5-6) rather than for dinner.

Marcia's: (pronounced Mar See Ah's if you're asking for directions!)The local food here was the best that we had on our stay! Delicious and very reasonable, the only down side was that we were the only people in the restaurant for a good while and it was a bit like eating in a neighbours living room. :lol: Definitely worth a visit for the food though!!!

Me-Shells: Great food, great menu choice and lovely atmosphere on the patio with the gardens lit up with different coloured fairy lights. The service was top notch also, relatively expensive but not compared to similar quality at home . I recommend the sea food pasta (called The Crown Point madness or similaron the menu) it had a mixture of fish, lobster and prawns in a creamy sauce with coconut and parmesan which was a whole new taste experience for me!

Pelican Reef: I tried the callaloo soup here which was a bit bland (don't know if it always tastes like that) , I had the reef shark with chips and it was very tasty. You pick your dessert from the cakes in the Deli inside and they were the real highlight. Service was good with drinks topped up regularly. The waiters/waitresses wear t-shirts with I thought CREW on them and there was a bit of an american franchise vibe to the place (my girlfriend Monica disagreed) but overall the food was good and reasonably priced and there was a good atmosphere.

Melange(upstairs): New restaurant upstairs doing Indian and local food, small area on an upstairs porch and the tables are squashed too close together so you're sitting practically on the other people in the restaurant. I had a fish and prawn mousse to start followed by the catch of the day, the word to describe both is bland. The catch of the day was Dolphin (a fish not the mammal) and it was cooked in the local style with a coating which in this case was bland and soggy instead of spicy and crispy. We asked for dessert and they only had fruit and yoghurt or fruit and ice cream so we decided to skip it. Wouldn't go again if you paid me!

Ru-B-Lou's: This was our favourite, lovely setting on a wooden porch with hanging fairy lights, small menu but the food was great, we both had the salad then red snapper and an amazing chocolate cake for dessert. Everything was really well cooked and the service was great. The chef came out and asked everyone if they enjoyed the meal.
It was closed on Wednesday, don't know if it's closed every Wednesday. Bring plenty of anti mosquito spray!

Kariwak Village: Reviewed this elsewhere in the forum great food but awful service wouldn't go again.

Miss Jean's (store bay): Great lunches, huge portions, very tasty and very cheap!

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”