Shopping at Crown Point

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Aileen Higgins

Shopping at Crown Point

Post by Aileen Higgins »

Am I correct in thinking there is a Supermarket called Pennysavers in the Crown Point area ? Can anyone tell me the opening/shutting times of it and also can we get everything there, meaning food and drink etc. Someone has told me champagne is very expensive to purchase in Tobago and as we are coming for a wedding it might be an idea to bring it in from USA (we are coming via Las Vegas). We are happy enough with white sparkling wine, not necessarily champagne - can we buy this in Tobago ?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Aileen

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Full details, including a location map and opening hours, are given in our Shopping article (See the Odds & Sods/Shopping menu at the top of any page).

You will get most things in PennySavers although fruit and veg are generally better/cheaper from the roadside stalls.

Can't say I have ever bought champagne or sparkling wine on Tobago so have no comment on the prices. Whilst you can slip a bottle or two of champagne in your luggage, you will hit all sorts of complications (delays and taxes) if you try to bring anything in by the caseload, so don't even think about it. You can certainly buy champagne/sparkling wine in Tobago - in fact there is a very good wine merchant in the small mall almost directly opposite the Canaan PennySavers, but I have no idea how to contact them. One thought: you could email Gabriele de Gaetano of La Tartaruga Restaurant. He has a wine wholesale business, but they do supply to the public. Trouble is, I think they only stock Italian wine so don't know whether that would be of use. No harm in asking. You can get him at [email protected]

Good hunting!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Phil Dean

Post by Phil Dean »

If they can get farari they do a range of sparklings that are very pleasant italian sparkling wines, in a similar style to champagne but significantly cheaper.
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Its a couple of years since we were there, but Coco Reef used to sell really cheap Tattinger Champagne (about £12 per bottle if I remember correctly)... I don't know if that is still the case or if they would sell for take-out.
Phil Dean

Post by Phil Dean »

that's a shock, when I was last there (which was 5 years ago) the champagne was expensive, from £50 per bottle if I remember right, though we drank an american fizz they did.
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

We have just returned from Tobago - also had a wedding there. We asked all guests to bring a bottle of champagne and were glad we had as it was about £30 a bottle in Pennysavers.
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

I bought Lanson Champagne in Gourmet foods on the Buccoo Road 2 weeks ago and it was $290 TT ,around the £28 mark. :)

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”