Tipping at Coco Reef?

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Kate C.

Tipping at Coco Reef?

Post by Kate C. »

Hello!

we are going to Coco Reef October 7- October 16 for a stay and a wedding. I am not sure how to tip the hotel staff. Typically, at a 4 star hotel in the U.S. I would put out $5 a day. Should I do the same here?

Also, is it appropriate to tip the Social Director's office or anyone involved in the wedding? (Just the Director, a "pan man", photographer, and Minister?) How much?

Thanks!
Kate
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Kate

You might care to have a look at our article on the subject, available through menu: Odds & Sods/Money Matters/Tipping & Gratuities.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kate C.

Post by Kate C. »

Thank you, Steve. I did read the article, but it does not directly address tipping the hotel staff....any advice?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kate

Sorry, I hesitate to do so because British/European/World attitudes towards tipping are somewhat different to the norm in America and the last thing I want to do is to cause offence to you or other American readers.

Who can say what the value of a "gratuity" should be? Frankly, my attitude is that it should be directly related to the quality of service and STRICTLY limited to junior staff who are paid very little. So, speaking personally, whist I would tip the pan player I would never even dream of tipping the Social Director, photographer (assuming he is self-employed and not an employee) or, God forbid, the Minister (except as a very clear contribution towards his church).
Steve Wooler
Kate C.

Post by Kate C. »

Than you, Steve. I appreicate that. Is it your personal policy to leave a tip in the hotel room?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kate

I have no hard and fast rule because a lot depends upon circumstances, how well we know the individuals concerned and their work pattern. If we find that we have only one maid servicing our room, then yes, I have often left a small envelope in a side drawer (and even put some money in it sometimes) and then mentioned it when saying goodbye to ensure that they look there. If there's more than one maid servicing the room, I tend to see them individually, before we leave, because naturally one may have made more of an impression than the other.

The most vital part, in my thinking, is that it must be done highly discreetly and in no way be a demeaning act that gives that impression so beloved of "big tippers" - i.e. "look how succesful I am; I can buy you or anybody else".
Steve Wooler
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Further to Steve's answers,another thing to be wary of is overtipping.Remember that the average wage in Tobago is about TT$10 per hour(about$1.70US)so tip accordingly
David(55dtg :D )
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

To be honest I try to avoid hotels that attract clients from the US as they seem to want to tip everyone for everything which makes me feel an inferior guest as I only tip after receiving exceptional service and that is once only at the end of my holiday.
Why go all inclusive if you need to carry cash to tip everyone.
John

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”