Tobago with Children...

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
David Morton

Tobago with Children...

Post by David Morton »

I am getting a head start on a dream trip to tobago. My wife and I plan on going to Tobago with our 5 yr. old daughter for a 2 week trip (last of Feb. & first of March '04) next year. There are so many options for accommodations that my head is spinning. Any kid friendly recommendations? We are not into the huge resorts. Small, affordable and friendly would be great.

Also, Am I nuts to be considering the ferry ride from Trinidad? I hear a lot about the flights and nothing about the ferry.

Any input would be helpful.

Dave.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi David, my wife and I stayed at the Sherwood Park Apartments a few years ago and enjoyed the smaller resort feel (10 s/c units I think), plus it is very good value as it is not by the beach (but has lovely pool and gardens). Email Nigel there and ask him about if he can bring in a child bed or rollaway - I think they do but someone else may know. Failing that you might wish to try the local cottage or villa/apartment route - see the listings on this site for loads of places where you can see the real Tobago. Have fun, Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Tobago with Children ....

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Dave

I know what you mean. It’s the same if you gather too many tour operator brochures. You get so confused about which destination/hotel to choose that you just feel like staying at home. Anyway, we’re here to help, no confuse so let’s see what everyone can come up with.

Without knowing your budget or preferences, it is hard to know what to suggest. One place springs to mind though – Bijou Des Caraibes. This is a luxury villa on Mount Irvine with five self-contained apartments. They have a lovely two-bedroom apartment that would be ideal with a 5-year old. You would be together, but private. As everywhere, you would need a car, but the wonderfully friendly and hospitable owner’s of Bijou have a jeep that guests can hire. You don’t need to self-cater – there are lots of good restaurants within a few minutes drive. The villa is not beach-side, but has a nice pool and you are only 5 minutes drive from Buccoo Beach and various others.

Try this for starters. Bijou Des Caraibes are listed on our main Accommodation pages and all contact information is shown.

If this is not the sort of place you are looking for, please don’t hesitate to come back to me.

Many Regards
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Mon May 29, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Steve & Glyn - Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for something close to the sea (walking distance). I plan on renting a car for part of the trip to explore the island, but I don't think I will for he whole stay. Therefore, I want to be close to the beach to recharge the batteries. A cottage sounds great but my budget is max US$100/night. I don't mind a little rustic, in fact, a little rustic close to a small coastal village would be great (again, walking distance would be great).

How much can I expect to pay (all Incl.) for a rental? I'm looking for a basicly clean and sound car, older models are OK.

Steve - How about the ferry?

Thanks for your help.

Dave.
Roel le Pair
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Roel le Pair »

Hi Glyn, I confirm your description of Sherwood Park Apartments, just a small supplementory remark: Indeed a 3rd bed (normal sized) is no problem to add in the studio apartments. It is done regularly for both adults and children. Up to 12 years of age, the kid stays for free. (Above 12 years of age the extra fee is USD 10,= per night)

David, enjoy your stay, from your words I get the impression it will be your first visit to Tobago. Other impressions from both this Mytobago-website/forum and from elsewhere indicate that it won't be your last visit ! Enjoy and relax !

Kind regards,
Roel le Pair
Sherwood Park Apartments
www.sherwood-park.com

My photos: http://gallery.mac.com/roellepair
HelenH

tobago with children

Post by HelenH »

Hi we had the same sort of dilemma. We have two children. in the end we decided on castara retreats. It is a newly built lodge with 3 independent appartments overlooking the sea. the english family who own them were very helpful. Unfortunately we dont go until next april. I think there are some people going with children on this site soon. I think their website is http://www.tobago-retreats.com. It will also be our first trip to tobago
helen
Steve Wooler

Tobago with Children ....

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi David

The only place I have personal knowledge of which might fit the bill, is Seagrape Villa which is located within the grounds of the Inn On The Bay at Little Rockley Bay. You can see details in our main Accommodation section.

For full details of car rentals, I strongly suggest that your have a look at the Yes Tourism site ( http://www.yes-tourism.com ).

Forget the ferry. It’s a long arduous journey with absolutely no merit. The airbridge only costs TT$200 p/p return (£20 / US$33) when booked more than 7 days in advance.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “General Accommodation”