La Terrazza - Hilton Plantations - Restaurants from hell ?

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Richard Watson

La Terrazza - Hilton Plantations - Restaurants from hell ?

Post by Richard Watson »

I dined here last week with my wife and a friend. This is the Hilton's fine dining restaurant, £50 a head. We ate here last year a couple of times and it was good. But as ever, good restaurants can go bad so easily. The former waiting staff have all changed, and the current ones just have no idea what constitutes good service. A complaint to the manageress Keisha, merely resulted in an argument and a scene. The bill arrived and was challenged for the 'extra starter' - you need to watch that here, and I refused to pay the service charge - they hadn't earned it. Two armed police were then summoned to stand over me, fingering their guns, while I was made to pay up. If this is the way the best restaurant in Tobago treats it's customers they dont deserve to be in business. I heard recently the Hilton is in Administration so maybe they won't be in business much longer.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Richard

I have to confess to total astonishment by your post. You are naturally entitled to your views, but claims about police "fingering their guns" rather lead me do think you were dining with the fairies.

May I correct two factual points. Firstly, La Terrazza has no connection with the Hilton Hotel and they are certainly not the hotel's "fine dining restaurant - the 'Coral Reef' restaurant fills that role. Secondly, £50 a head at La Terrazza? Just what had you been drinking? I can honestly say that I've never even approached half that figure.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Richard Watson

Post by Richard Watson »

Hi Steve,

I have often been referred to this restaurant as the fine dining restaurant at the Hilton, particularly by those frequenting the golf club. The fois gras is a $155 starter and filet mignon $250, plus service charge, before you have even thought of ordering a bottle. Our bill for three was $1500 (plus the 'extra' fois gras).As far as the police are concerned I have told it as it was. The chef wanted to settle quietly but no, his wife Keisha insisted on calling the police. So she did. There was no reasoning with her. Her attitude was not what one expects in a decent restaurant. She said 'if they dont pay the service, the staff dont get paid.' The service charge was $150 when, as I expect you already know, the average wage in Tobago is just $10 an hour. I had already offered to gladly pay for what we had consumed but was subsequently told, by the police 'thats not how we do it in Tobago, you pay the bill then take it up with the management.' I was taking it up with the management. Have you ever had two armed police called just because you had the audacity to complain? I suspect not. They were there in an instant. Stood by the table where we sat, hands resting on their holsters. They wanted to know where we were staying and hung around after we left. On the way out the Hilton security guard asked what was going on. When we explained he apologised profusely. Figure that one.
La Terrazza

Post by La Terrazza »

As the owner of La Terrazza I thought I should address Mr. Watson’s comments. Patrick Dankou a very good customer brought the post to light this afternoon
I should probably name this reply “CUSTOMER FROM HELL”. Mr. Richard Watson arrived with his two guests at our restaurant 20 minutes late for his reservation and despite his continued rudeness and foul language he was kindly served. In my haste to have him pay and leave I did make an error which I corrected immediately. Mr. Watson decided to up the ante by refusing to pay service charge but after all my guests, my staff and my husband had endured that night with this man I decided that I would not let him leave until he paid his bill in full. Mr. Watson was charged only for the meal that he and his guests enjoyed.
Let this be a warning to all those who will come to instigate trouble that we will not condone it. La Terrazza is what many call the best restaurant in Tobago because we the owners are always there. We work hard at it and we treat our guests well. I will not get into verbal battles with anyone but you can verify all the events with the police who have taken statements from guests and staff.
This is the second such unfortunate incident in our four years of running La Terrazza and we do believe that these persons are quite accustomed to trying this trick in restaurants. Their problem at La Terrazza is that we are always here monitoring the situation with our combined expertise of 25 years in the industry
If you wish you can read a detailed account below.
Mr. Richard Watson has forgotten to inform the forum that when he came to the restaurant last year he was served by myself, Kisha Monti, the owner, exclusively because he is what we characterized a "difficult” customer who was trying to instigate trouble by using the "F" word and being difficult. All my staff are instructed to inform me of difficult customers so we do not have any emotions flying. I try to deal with them as quickly and kindly as possible feed them well and send them off peacefully. My approach is “kill them with kindness” As much as he tried to cause trouble he was unable to.
This year when he arrived 20 minutes late for his reservation I recognized him immediately, but he obviously did not recognize me as the exact same person who served him last year. You see at La Terrazza the owners (myself and my husband Stefano) are always there on the floor with our guests. Throughout the night despite the best efforts of the other two staff members in the dining room and myself Mr. Watson continued to be difficult and used the “F” word on several occasions. Several guests came to me personally to ask if I was alright and asked why I did not kick him out. I kindly apologized to them for his unseemly behaviour and allowed him to continue his night at my restaurant.
When he asked for the bill we were all relieved. I do admit to being wrong on the bill this time around and I corrected the error immediately without any argument because I did make a mistake. He was rude about it I apologized again. He seemed soothed and then the waiter came to tell me that he was not going to pay the service charge which is part of the bill. On all our menu pages we have plainly printed that the prices include 15% VAT but exclude the 10% service charge which is added later.
I informed Mr. Watson that not paying the bill in full constituted theft and if he decided to do so I would have to call the police. I retreated to my corner since by that time I was fed up of his foul mouth and rudeness.
He and his wife then addressed my husband Stefano insulting the restaurant, Stefano remained calm, his wife used some port authority language and Stefano asked her to please disappear which she kindly did.
Mr. Watson then began to calm a bit, still throwing insults but without the foul language, since the security officer from Tobago Plantations had arrived. He became even more gentlemanly when the police patrol arrived informing him that if as he had enjoyed a good meal served to him in a timely manner he should pay the bill.
Gill M

Post by Gill M »

Hello Kisha

I must say this is a very unfortunate episode that is best smoothed over and quickly. You did allow Mr Watson and his party to remain at your restaurant, albeit that you and other diners were not happy with the language. Perhaps not so wise?

Frankly, I don't feel that it is too much of a sin to arrive 20 minutes late at a restaurant although it is something that I would try to personally avoid myself. Mr Watson is not to be condoned for his bad manners/language, however you did say:-

"Mr. Watson decided to up the ante by refusing to pay service charge but after all my guests, my staff and my husband had endured that night with this man I decided that I would not let him leave until he paid his bill in full."

You are quite correct in that your wonderful menu clearly states a 10% service charge BUT in the UK (and I suspect Malta) the customer can legally refuse to pay this charge under certain circumstances so perhaps this is why your customer felt justified in doing so?

My husband and I will be visiting Tobago shortly for the very first time and your restaurant was on our "must visit list". However, it is of concern to me that the police were involved and the matter treated as "theft". Surely things could have been agreed more subtely and amicably with your 25 years experience and bearing in mind the European version of "Service Charge"?

You also say "Let this be a warning to all those who will come to instigate trouble that we will not condone it". I must say this comes across as a rather frightening message!!! Guns/police!!!! Not what I would expect from a top Tobago restaurant - in fact any restaurant.

With apologies for my frankness and let us hope that this very unfortunate problem does not occur again.
Richard Watson

Post by Richard Watson »

Steve,

Just what constitutes being a ‘difficult’ customer nowadays, one who complains when the service is bad, or should one just quietly pay up when it’s obvious the bill has been jacked up? Maybe I became classified as a ‘difficult’ customer on our last visit simply because I just didn’t tip enough, who knows, but as I recall back then they had a very charming young Italian waiter who was well tipped and deserved it.
Yes we were a little late but the place was half empty. As far as the other accusations are concerned they are all unfounded, I was certainly critical but not foul, and those comments directed at my wife are particularly hurtful and have no place in a public forum such as this. Their attitude is clear and anyone reading this can form their own opinions.
La Terrazza

Post by La Terrazza »

Mr. Watson,
This will be my last post. You know what you are and what you did. I need not prove anything to you because all the witnesses have made reports to the police about your attitude throughout the night since the restaurant was full that night. Other restaurateurs on the island have stories to tell as well.
I wish that you will learn that even though people are in place to serve you that you must also treat others with respect.
Please stop trying to decredit my establishment because of your bad behaviour. One can disagree without being rude and using foul words.
Please note that it is an offence to use foul language in this country.
All God’s best wishes to you and yours.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I think to prevent any escalation of this dispute both parties should now let the matter drop.Mr Watson don't eat there agin and Keish ,if he tries refuse service.
David :cry:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Without in any way wishing to open this debate, from which neither party has come out smelling of roses, I need to comment on Mr Watson's comment that ...
the Hilton is in Administration
Whilst I was 99.999% sure of the answer, I felt it only responsible to get an offical response before making comment. I am now delighted to report that this allegation has absolutely no foundation in fact. Both the Hilton (who hold the management contract) and the company that actually owns the Hilton are alive and well.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”