restuarant reviews from trip

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Jo Ringer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

restuarant reviews from trip

Post by Jo Ringer »

As I found the site so helpful before our trip thought I would add my thoughts on restaurants.

Overall everywhere was really quite so suffered from lack of atmosphere.

Best Meals

Panache Creole - currently being run by a german chef while the pancake house people have a break. Normally does I think 3 nights a week. It was excellent, short menu with no prices which might put people off. Dont take credit cards. Excellent international food but no puddings.

Bamboo mile - next to busy road so not the best setting but friendly staff who had a great laugh at our expense as we werent sure where to park. good cocktails. Just overall nice place

Taratuga - lovely italian food. quite expensive but nice setting.

Worst meals

Pelican Reef - luke warm , uninspiring, expensive, listed prices dont include VAT or service charge and despite being known for its desserts they only had coconut ice cream of the night we went. Entertainment was OK!

Ru B Lous apparently under new ownership ( according to Nigel at Sherwood Apartments) but food really nothing special and I really dont think they should serve frozen peas.

Mot Mot - think we caught them on a bad night, it was good value but just very boring!

Other places which were OK inc iguana cafe ( v good cuba libre!) meshells, coco cafe ( good value)
Lunchtime

Shorethings - really nice lunchplace a great place to wander round and then have lunch or cake. Portions of cake was enormous!!

Breakfast

House of Panckaes - excellent and the only busy eatery we went to in the whole fortnight!

Overall prices compared to UK prices , The most we paid was 800 TT dollars and the least about 350 but it depends a lot what you pick. Overall we found it quite expensive compared with other holidays.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Wow! How many were there of you for a TT$800 meal?That's fourty quid a head if there were just two of you .......or did you include drinks?
David :?:
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

David,

How much would you expect to pay per person for a meal?

4 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Nisha,I would not pay ay more than about TT$250 per person anywhere on the island. Eat in a normal restuarant you can cut that by a third.
Mot-Mot(imo) one of the best on th island I did a dinner fosix forTT$1200 including copiuos quantities of liquid refreshments!
In the good local(ie not tourist) eateries,you can have "cutter" from about $22 to a lobster at $150 dollars (TT)
David :D
Jo Ringer
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

cost of food

Post by Jo Ringer »

Hi

I was including drinks and just checked my visa bill and the Taratuga came out at £71 so slightly less than I said. I did have the crayfish which I guess pushed the price up but it was a special that day and they did fail to tell me the price was a lot more.

I honestly dont think we drank that much in the restuarants although did have 3 courses quite often. Well my husband did.

We struggled to find many main courses under 100$TT and many were much nearer 20$TT add starter /pud and 2 glasses of beer each and we were well over 400$TT a night.

Honestly not complaining though all the restaurants seemed about the same prices and we had a great time

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”