Have a waffle with Carol

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Re: Have a waffle with Carol

Post by Carol Townsend »

Gisella,
Oh no I've been found out! :wink: I wish! Did she make a lot of money?
I am a little concerned that I'm losing my touch though.Earthling Watkins has not taken up my invitation to indulge in a little badinage about remarks made about my daughter being from another planet( I suppose he is too busy packing and running around getting excited)and Tony seems to be sulking since I "outed" him as a hippie, and of course Athos Poyap is chugging around in his boat at his weekend retreat.
Thank goodness I have you my Sister in Madness! :lol:
Sister Carolnoe :wink:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

My Dear Ms Townsend,now that I am not the only one to have recognised your origins,I fear for my safety and sanity in having outed you!Tony is also now living in fear,the poor young chap.
Your humble servant,
Watkins.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

I am guessuing tony and bill have problems with their own extraterrestials... :wink:
over and out
steph

PS: noe... maybe we should not have a secret handshake but a "mind-shake" beeing so special and not out of this world and all.... :wink:
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

I don't know where to start... firstly, Carolnoe it's never too late for anything. And I have no problem being outed as an old hippie or ex-hippie. These days I actually manage to hold down a fairly respectable job working with people with learning difficulties and having to deal with social workers and service providers and various besuited young people in positions of what they think is authority, (even psychiatric nurses!!!!!!!!!). Peace & Love sister.

Secondly, David, don't worry, as an elderly Tobagonian gentleman once said to me as he gave me an unexpected gift of three oranges, "Fear no evil". And thank you for calling me a young chap, though it has been quite a while since I have been one. Young, that is.

Thirdly, Ms Wafflemaker, no I'm certainly not sulking. It takes up far much too much energy to sulk. I have been doing an early spring-clean of the kitchen though, (this being my territory).

Fourthly, (can you say fourthly, it sounds a bit odd?), Steph. No I am not having any problems with Janette and I wouldn't dare call her an extra terrestrial. She is much saner and more organazised than I could ever hope to be.

OK, I think that's covered everything.

Until the next time...

Tony

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyandjanette
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Bless you Brother Tony!
First of all, I note you have spring cleaned your kitchen. Would you like to earn some pocket money and come and clean mine? If I was rich I wouldn't buy a yacht, I would employ a cook and housekeeper! Then I could spend all day writing and publish it and become even richer! :lol:
Actually, I need to clean my patio door. Last night a firework whizzed across my nieghbour's garden from the fields opposite, narrowly missing his head, came into our garden, hit the patio door and exploded! There is now a trail of sulphur across the glass. My neighbour's nerves are now shattered, as are mine, which is why I'm talking to my brethren as therapy(instead of doing the ironing).If the door had been open, it would have come into the house :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm just glad it stopped with us, instead of the elderly couple on the other side, who would have been terrified. And it's not November 5th yet!
Tonight I'm going out with friends for sausage and mash and mulled wine. No hubby (still "working" in Gibraltar)and no offspring \:D/ But I will be phoning home at regular intervals.
Brother dear ( I'm an only child, probably explains a lot ) we have something in common, well almost, in our working lives. I work in a lowly position in a school for children and teenagers with physical and learning difficulties; some of which are described as "profound and multiple", but I don't have to deal with "authority" thank goodness! I just attend to the youngsters' welfare needs and assist the teachers.
It is a job I came into almost by chance six years ago, and it is both joyful and heartbreaking, as I'm sure your's must be too. Remind me to have a rant on behalf of "my " youngsters at some time will you?
Must go
Peace and Love Brother :D
XXXX
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Sorry Sister, but I will have to decline your kind offer of employment. Tiny though our own house is I find it impossible to keep up with the 'domestics'. The windows on the outside are now so dirty that we live in perpetual twighlight and I am much too mean to pay a window cleaner. I have better things to do with my money, like saving it up to return to Castara, and better things to do with my time, like visiting the myTobago forum. One has to get one's priorities right. And I believe that I have.

I too fell into my job almost by chance after doing voluntary work with a newly set up Advocacy organisation, though I work with adults rather than children. It just felt right and I slipped painlessly from being a volunteer to being an employee. I love it. You are right, it is both joyful and heartbreaking, but then, isn't that a fair description of life in general?

I have just evicted nine ladybirds from my bathroom.

Keep the faith.

Tony

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Noe and Tony(poetic anit),I understand what you mean by "falling into a job you love".I was a fast jet flyer in th RAF and then worked as a weapons inspector for HMG,maiinly overseas trying to find out how British made equipment got into unfriendly hands.
In 1984,having experienced some(!) unpleasant episodes I decided to quit and concentrate on my then hobby...........COOKING.Which I absolutely adore,and am quite good at.
So that Lady called fate is waiting for us all sometime.
David
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

did not mean any offense to your janette (especially not even knowing her) just tyhought thta the female species was being acused of beeing from planet I don't know what....so you could have copunted me in there... :wink: ...by the way, most women are more organized, but men just don't bother to see that :wink: :wink: :wink: hope I did not hurt your (or especially her) felings...

steph (from planet tobago, which is going mad today with political ralleys, having election day tomorrow)
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

David and Tony,
Thanks for telling me about your careers chaps.
David, what a contrast; fast jet flyer to chef! I spent nine years at home with my nippers and then became a school dinner lady at a mainstream school, then the school I am at now, through being told about it by a friend, and then into the classroom.
Tony, I'm worried about your ladybirds (I bet you've never had that said to you before)
I hope they're not those Harlequin ones that have been in the news recently. They're from Asia, breed in their thousands, infest your home, eat our nice friendly ladybirds and bite people :shock:
My children tell me it's my bed time (they do look after me) so off I go.
Night Night
Don't let the ladybirds bite
Sister Carolnoe of Zanussi :wink:
XXXXXXXX
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Hi Y'all

Steph, don't worry, no offence was taken. I just didn't want you laydeez to think that I was a misogynist.

As for the ladybirds, well they didn't bite me but I will check out what kind they are. They did appear a little more spotty than the usual ones.

Tony

Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Morning Tony
My we are up and online bright and early this morning!
Of course you're not a misogynist; you're a hippy (hippie?).How could you be? :lol:
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Um, David (bit scared here)
I hope you're not one of those shouting, swearing, screaming chefs [-o<
What reminded me is that I had to record Gordon Ramsey for hubby when he was away "working". I've just remembered I should have recorded Top Gear too, but forgot, so I'm in the.....
I did remember Coronation Street, though, which was an achievement as I can't stand soaps!
Must go and do something costructive, like tidying up...
Bless you Brothers and Sisters
Carolnoe :wink:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Noe,I am definitely not a swearing,shouting chef a la Ramsey,although at times do lose my patience -usually with me!
David(23d22h11m) :D
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Hi Carolnoe!

Have checked on the internet and it looks like I am being invaded by Harlequin Ladybirds. There doesn't appear to be anything I can do about it. At present there is only one, lurking in a corner of the bathroom where the wall meets the ceiling. I will keep you posted on the situation. Am working from home today. Paperwork - I hate it. Waiting for the double glazing repair man to come and look at the non-functioning catches on my living -room windows. No doubt he will tut and sigh and tell me that it will cost an arm and leg to replace them.

Back to work

Tony

Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Oooooh Tony,
Now I am worried about you 8-[ .
I hope you can get rid of those little so and so's. Our poor wildlife is always under threat from alien invaders: Chinese Mitten Crabs, American crayfish, New Zealand worms, terrapins let loose in rivers, mink that some idiots let loose in the countryside, these ladybirds, and as for GREY SQUIRRELS :twisted: :twisted:
They have driven out just about all the red ones from England, they destroy trees and they keep getting onto my bird feeders!!!! And in this area we now have ring necked parakeets :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Grrrrrrr!!!!
And cats lurk near my nestbox in the Spring.I have been known to run into the garden in my famous pyjamas to chase off a cat that was terrorising some nesting Great Tits, much to the amusement of eighty year old Mr A. who offered to stand guard whilst I was at work. The babies did survive. Hooray!
I hope you get on OK with the double glazing man. You know what he'll do, don't you? He'll shake his head, suck in breath through his teeth, and say " That's the worst job I've ever seen. Who did that?" They spend two weeks in college learning how to do that, you know.
I actually logged on to contact Nationwide Building Society to register my protest about their closing of my local sub branch.
I'm nicely wound up for it now! :lol:
See ya!
Carolnoe
Not abbreviating it to Noe, so there!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Noe,I totaly agree with you.Exterminate the tree rat(aka grey squirrel) and all the other critters you mentioned--------------including double glazing salespersons(trying to be PC Oh Zanussi Majesty).
David
(A thought,I wonder if the thoughts in Tobago are similar about us??????????)
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

was that a rhethorical question, david :lol: :lol: :lol:

steph
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Here on the Isle of Wight is one of the last domains of the red squirrel. We have NO greys. They're not allowed on the ferries. So that's good, but still a shame about the ladybirds.

The double glazing man came, took a digital photo, told me it would be about £60 (for two new locking mechanisms) and left, saying he would return in about a week. He didn't say, "That's the worse job I've ever seen", 'cos it was his company who fitted the damned catches last time. He did say, "They don't make 'em like that anymore", which is another one of those phrases that they learn at college.

Tony

Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Tony - I had a broken hinge on my double glazing. The first company said they would only charge me £75 to replace it :o The second company wanted to charge me £150 !!!!! :shock: so I went on ebay and managed to get the hinge for £3.75 and I have to fit it myself. Fortunately the first company that came showed me exactly how it fitted and it is 6 screws !!!!

Noe (sorry - I kinda like that name - it suits you :) ) - have you not got Sky + you can set the recorder to record the whole series of Coronation Street, Top Gear etc. Failing that I am sure that Top Gear is repeated on BBC 3 at some point this week. You could always check the BBC website as you can download the program and watch it online - just like if you were downloading music.

Jill
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Good afternoon Everyone,

It's easy to tell that the weather is turning cold (everyone's inside posting here instead of being out and about). Unfortunately I was not out on my boat this weekend. In fact it's been winterized and shut down for the season. We didn't even go to our cottage as my ET had numerous chores lined up for me at home. :cry:

We were invaded by the Asian ladybugs about ten years ago and since then every fall and spring we have hundreds in the house as they prepare for their migration to and from the yard. We keep our vacuum cleaner out and ready and just suck them up as we see them :mrgreen: We were told by our nursery that they can't survive the frost so they come indoors to over-winter. I'm afraid to think what the spaces between our walls must look like :shock: Once they are outside for the summer they're not a problem, in fact they are like the domestic ones we used to have in that they eat aphids and other pests that attack our plants and flowers.

Carol and Tony you both deserve special thanks for working with those who need our help.

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/

Return to “General Questions & Comment”