Have a waffle with Carol

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Have a waffle with Carol

Post by Bill B »

Carolnoe,

I have not abandoned you. We spend weekends at our lake cottage and have no internet access. Yesterday my partner took off for the day so I was too busy (gotta earn a living) to do more than read the postings here.

I've never slept on a table but ages ago, in my college days, I vaguely remember spending the night in a bathtub. We gave our old dining room table to our son and daughter-in-law and she later said that our second grandson was conceived on it :shock: :oops:

Gisela,

I don't understand what "asdf jkl" means. Please explain as I'm sure it's funny.

Bill (Athos)
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Hi Athos!
Are you suggesting that some of us do NOT have better things to do than read these postings? :wink:
I think we need to hear some tales from your college days....
As for what occured on your table, I think we have a case of "too much information" here... :lol:
Well, two of you have popped your heads over the parapet. Where's number three?
Cheers me dears
Carolnoe :wink:
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Hi Carolnoe

Don't worry I haven't stopped talking to you. But I was a little worried that I was in your bad books and, if so, that would upset me terribly, (I'm a sensitive soul really). I am the Domestic Alien in our household. Well, I do all the cooking anyway. Janette sorts out all the bill paying and that kind of stuff. Without me she would starve and without her the gas, electric and water would have been cut off ages ago. It all seems to balance out.

I have slept in much worse places than on a table, but that would be a whole new thread.

Can't wait for the boat trip tales.

Tony

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyandjanette
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Ah! Now I have the complete set! :D
Come on Tony, tells us about the places you have slept in, but keep it clean as I'm a sensitive soul too.And innocent. Remind me to tell you about our trip to Denmark in 1986. :wink:
Bye for now,
Domestic Alien :wink:
Hoping Hubby isn't working too hard in Gibraltar :roll:
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Bill (and everyone!),

I think Gisela was referring to falling asleep at the computer and waking up with the imprint of the keyboard across her forehead!! :lol:

As for sleeping in strange places... nope.... never! If it doesn't have pillows and blankets, I can't sleep! I'm too into my creature comforts... Oh, wait... there was a cupboard once, but I was about 3 years old, so I don't think that can be held against me!

Lisa.
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Re: Aboard Ye Goode Shippe Cadley Lock

Post by Carol Townsend »

Well me hearties, the house is still standing and I've almost caught up with the washing, so permit me to tell you about my voyage down Ye Olde Canal, through glorious Berkshire ( pronounced BARKSHEER Bill!)
It may surprise you to know that spending six days on an English canal in the latter part of October bears absolutely no resemblence to a jaunt to Tobago.
For one thing, it's a bit on the chilly side, in fact my feet are still blue.( Unlike the canal, which was green on a good day, sludge grey on a bad day.) The first three nights were frosty, and I was really pleased with myself for bringing my warmest pyjamas; red with tartan trim, and a scotty dog motif on the pocket, plus the dressing gown, of course. :wink:
One thing about frosty weather, you do get lovely blue skies and sunshine during the day, and to be fair to my own country, the scenery was very pretty. Not breathtaking ,but pretty, very English. When not running around (not easy, on a small boat) providing sustenance for the crew ( hubby and friend, who was our skipper) I spent my time lounging about on the "deck", waving to the locals like Cleopatra coming down the Nile on her barge. There was a slight difference between me and Cleo; she was reputed to have been a Great Beauty, and I doubt that she ever stepped outside wearing a man's vest ( for the length, to keep her back warm) tights AND socks, trousers, T shirt, long sleeve shirt, huge woolly cardi, fleece, gloves, but no hat.( though I did take one; woolly of course).I resembled Humpty Dumpty rather than Cleopatra. Mind you, I usually do, being short, top -heavy and short in the leg.
Ours was a (very) Narrowboat; seven feet wide to be precise, with a rather worrying list to port, which I swear got worse as we went along. I know all the nautical terms: port, starboard, rudder, helm, fore, aft, bow, stern, galley, brig, gangplank, look out! pirates!
The men had proper beds in a proper cabin, but myself and Daughter had to share in the galley, living area.This is what you do; there is a long sofa, couch, settee, whatever you call it and a long table. During the day you eat at the table and sit on the sofa, couch etc, but at night, and here's the clever bit; you take the legs off the table, replace them with shorter legs, put a mattress on top and behold! there is your bed. I've never slept on a table, or under one, though I don't know if any of you have.. %*}
It was a bit cramped, but not too bad, apart from that list to port.
Because I needed something to keep me quiet, I noted the names of some of the other boats. The privately owned ones had names like "Dancing Bunny", "Lotus Eater", "Pendragon", " Chough of Kernow","Autumn Sunset","Thomas the Gardener", "Insayne Jayne" (like that one!) Ours was the practical but boring "Cadley Lock", from the Reading Marine Company ( that's pronounced REDDING Bill!)
There is some vital advice I must give you;
Toilets. I am like my mother. Whenever I arrive at any holiday accommodation the first thing I do is inspect the Water Closet. When on a boat, it is particularly important to know how the Neccesarium works, after all, there is no where else to go( if you see what I mean)These are The Rules:
"Only put that which has been eaten and drank down the toilet ( fair enough ).
During the early part of your hire you may find a tendency for solids to build up in the tank under the toilet bowl. However as the liquid level builds up,the sloping floor of the tank combined with the movement of the boat will soon wash these solids to the rear of the tank, out of view."(ew!)
What they don't tell you is, if your boat lists to port, you must ensure the door is securely bolted or it will fly open, usually at the most awkward moment and when there are crowds of people on the bank taking photos of your boat. :oops:
I'm sorry I must have a break now. Do you realise I've spent an hour on this post? Mainly because I make so many mistakes and have to re-type everything!
Back soon me hearties! :wink:
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hey Carolnoe,

and the door swung open .... :oops: uuuh, how horrible...
Longing for the rest!!!!

(this is for Bill a.k.a. Athos)
Yes Lisa, you are perfecty right. "asdf(gh)jklö" (German keybord) are the items in the middle of my computer keybord.

Whish you all a nice day
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

The Goode Shippe Cadley Lock

Post by Carol Townsend »

Ahoy there again me Hearties!
Just got back from Tesco's. They've got a Christmas tree up, :twisted: complete with lights. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but isn't today the 31st of October? Is Christmas in November now then?
Back to business.
I would like to continue with some tips for a happy boating holiday in October:
DO take warm clothes( don't forget the vest)
DO take a torch, so you can see where you're going when you walk the gangplank, and what you are walking IN on the towpath ( very popular place with dogwalkers)
DON'T move a frying pan full of hot fat when the boat is moving
DO take a first aid kit for the resultant blister on your finger
REFRAIN from telling the skipper to get on his bike( or similar) when he is kind enough to bring you a cup of tea and a biscuit at 6a.m.
DON'T panic when your forty-nine year old spouse thinks they are twenty-one again and leaps onto the bank when the boat is moving, or helps your utterly fearless daughter up onto the roof.
DO close the curtains when dressing and undressing; people love photographing boats and think you are some kind of entertainment. Wave at the locals and make them feel embarrassed about staring at you.
Do take a camera for anything interesting that might crop up.
I'm stopping again. Going to try something.
Cheery-bye for now.
Carolnoe
Attachments
cobblers lock.JPG
cobblers lock.JPG (51.7 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

YES! YES! I did it !!!! =D> \:D/
I changed the size of my photo and uploaded it!
Are you there Mr Wooler? I did it!
I am so happy I could hug someone. Any volunteers? No? I'll hug myself then. I'm on my own too much, that's the problem :roll:
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

In case you're wondering, I'd been having trouble uploading this photo, and had been whingeing to The Chief about it!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Oh Noe how your OM must suffer,never mind your youngster!
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Would you mind explaining that remark sir? :wink:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

OM is old man ie,your lord and master,I was just musing what he must feel like living with a slightly deranged Zanussiam :roll:
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

My lord and WHAT?????
You can't upset me today; I'm so pleased with myself about uploading that photo! :lol:
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Ever had to sleep on a table?
Carol

You wouldn't believe the places I have found myself sleeping, I can hardly believe it myself now that I am a (semi) respectable old codger.

When I was younger, (much, much younger and with no responsibilities) I had the notion that it was a romantic thing to do to wander around the planet with little more than a sleeping bag, a toothbrush and a change of clothes. I have slept on tea-house floors in Iran and Turkey, bed-bug infested mattresses in Afghanistan, underneath the seats in 3rd class Indian train carriages, in mud huts full of cockroaches in Nepal and even on a slag-heap outside Barnsley but, to the best of my knowledge, never once on a table.

These days I prefer a little more comfort.

Tony

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

A life of luxury then Tony :wink:
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Not quite mate. But it has left me with a lot of interesting memories.

Tony

Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Tony,
I just knew from looking at your avatar that you're a bit of hippie :lol:
I wish I'd had an interesting life like you. Do you think it's too late to start?
Peace Man
Carolnoe :wink:
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

A word to Mr Watkins

Post by Carol Townsend »

Dear David,
I just know I'm going to regret this, but I can't resist it.
I thought about you this evening ( my hubby's abroad you see :wink: )
Our esteemed friend, the electrician and computerologist Kev, came to give our machine a health check-up. I was in the kitchen when I overheard him talking to Daughter;
" Girl, you're from another planet!" :roll:
Go on then, off you go!
Yours in anticipation
The Zanussusian Ambassador
Oh, and don't think I haven't noticed you're calling me Noe now!
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Carolnoe,

while reading your postings it reminds me on my favourit book. It is a collection of short storys from Paula S. Wall, an American columnist "If I were a man, I'd marry me" . Unfortunately I have the German translation and it is hard to translate humor, so I can't give you any example but she is really great. I read this book about 10 or 12 times and still laugh about it.
It is not you pseudonym??? :shock:

Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de

Return to “General Questions & Comment”