Eating out - personal reviews

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Linda Wright

Eating out - personal reviews

Post by Linda Wright »

In Tobago from 22/5 to 5/6 and staying in Castara we mostly self-catered, but these are our comments on places we did try:-

Clay Kitchen, Castara - Attractive setting, good food, if a little pricey we thought.

Jemma's Treehouse, Speyside - Great. Excellent food, lovely setting right by the sea and good value considering it's such a tourist trap. Just don't go if you don't like the idea of birds hopping about the tables and clearing up the leftovers! Also, closed Friday evening and all day Saturday and no alcohol.

Riverside Juice Bar, Roxborough - Freshly made mixed fruit juice. Delicious - about TT$10 each.

Birdwatcher's Restaurant, Speyside - Near to Jemma's and a good alternative to Jemma's if you visit Speyside on a Saturday. Very nice meal at a good price; the macaroni pie was the best I had in Tobago.

Sharon and Pheeb's, Charlotteville - Very light, bright and spotlessly clean restaurant. I chose shrimps here and they were bigger than the king prawns we get in UK. Lovely meal, but I don't know what the prices are like as this lunch was included in a tour from Castara to Little Tobago.

Apia's Roti - Mason Hall (Northside Road). Had the channa roti which was delicious and big enough to share between two.

While we were in Castara a new eating place opened right by the bridge. It hasn't got a name yet, but the lady who runs it is very nice and puts out a blackboard with the day's menu. Local dishes, but she also does fish and chips and pizza and chips. Also for takeaway (just make sure you tell her if you don't want tomato ketchup on your chips). TT$20 for takeaway fish and chips. She doesn't have a licence for alcohol yet.
HelenH

Eating out-personal reviews

Post by HelenH »

Thanks for your tips. We are off to castara next easter so those places will be really useful to know about
helen
Frank Tettemer

eating out-personal reviews

Post by Frank Tettemer »

Thanks, Linda, for your reviews. I've stayed in Castara on two different occasions, and loved it there. However, I found that the choices became somewhat the same, from place to place ... So I am encouraged to hear that a fresh kitchen has opened. Near the bridge, you say? I assume that you mean the bridge on the main road, not too far from the public school, or from King David's tours. (Is it "King David"? ... my apologies to him, he's actually a fine person to talk with ... I just am not sure of his name anymore)

I agree ... Clay Citchen WAS over-priced, but attractive setting.

The Boathouse, on the eastern, smaller beach was fine, good setting, and reasonable prices.

And I've also forgotten the name of the upstairs restaurant, (Do you remember it?), above a small grocery store, right next to the fishing co-op, and next to the entrance to Cascreole restaurant .... It was actually my favorite foods!
Similar menu as other places in the village, but the very lowest prices.

However, nothing came close to the fresh silver fish or Jacks that we bought from the daily seine fishermen, and cooked at our room with lime juice, green thyme sauce, garlic, and chilis! Recipe inspiration from Maryanne, who works for Ancle George at The Naturalist Resort, right at the eastern end of the main beach.

Thanks so much for your Castara memories ... Share any more that you may have, please!

Frank

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”