Can't miss restaurants

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Can't miss restaurants

Post by Sharon Keeler »

Hello all. We are returning for our 10th visit to Tobago at the end of February. While we have visited many restaurants, I wanted to get folks' opinions -- what is your absolute favorite and one we cannot miss. I am interested in the whole spectrum, for street side vendors to four star dining. These are the places we HAVE frequented on previous visits -- Bonkers, Shore Things, La Tartaruga, Cafe Iguana, Surf & Turf, Bago's Beach Bar, the Cafe at Sandy Point Beach Club, and Ruby Lou's. Thanks for your recommendations!
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Can't miss restaurants

Post by Andy K »

Sharon,

give "Fish Pot" (Pleasant Prospect) a try. They specialize on sea food,
but the beef tenderloin steak is also very delicious.

I also like the baby back ribs at "Bamboo Mile" (Bon Accord).

For local food i go to "Eddie's Restaurant" or "Flavor Pot" in Scarborough.

If you like spanish tapas, check "Salsa Kitchen" in Scarborough. Rerservation required.
Iain
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Iain »

Hello AndyK thanks for the mention of Salsa Kitchen, but there is just one major correction. We do "Caribbean" Tapas, the idea of Tapas is originally Spanish but Paula has created her own recipes using local herbs and flavours, ie: lots of thyme, basil, shadon beni, garlic, pimento peppers, not to mention Scotch Bonnet if you like it spicy and lime; not one 'patata brava' to be found :shock:! All these in various combinations lend to a flavour and style which has become uniquely her own. Come let us entertain you. Have a good one everyone.
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

Hi Iain and Paula, Next Wednesday we are returning to Tobago for our second visit (and we just can't wait!) :D Somehow missed out on Salsa Kitchen last year but this time you are definetely on our list! All the reviews we have read rate your restaurant so highly and we can't wait to sample some "caribbean tapas" and your hospitality. So, look out for our booking and make sure we get a nice table! Kind Regards Rosy and Alan :)
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Iain,

my apology. Yes of course the tapas is Paula's own style.
I think i wasn't at your place for too long. :oops:
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

We had to chuckle at Iain beng categorised as a 'Newbie Visitor' !!!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well spotted, Frank and Mina - we've soon sorted that! :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Iain
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Iain »

Hello Frank and Mina and RosyV, thanks for watching my back! 8-[ Hve not seen you in a long time F&M and Rosy just you give us a call and your table will be booked. We've got some new Specials on "The Black-Board", come and try them! Hve a good one everyone! Iain
LisaJ
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by LisaJ »

We would love to visit Salsa Kitchen, but will have our young son with. Are children welcome if we arrived for an earlier dinner?
Iain
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Iain »

Hello LisaJ, of course you can come early, only thing is we also have a youngster and Paula needs to feed and water her before she comes down, so the bar opens at 6 but the kitchen opens at 7pm, please ring first to make sure we haven't won the lottery and retired :wink: . Hope we see you soon. Have a good one everyone.
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

Iain wrote:Hello Frank and Mina and RosyV, thanks for watching my back! 8-[ Hve not seen you in a long time F&M ...
We'll be landing back in a weeks time exactly. Staying in the usual corner of Scarborough and lazing on the usual beach most days!

Frank
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Sharon Keeler »

If you are in Tobago and get a chance to go, on Saturdays the Sandy Point Beach Cafe prepares lobster for dinner that is the BEST I have ever had. $300TT for a four course meal of soup, salad, entree, and desert. One of the best meals I have ever had in Tobago. Call ahead to order.

We also went to Bonkers Saturday night and it did not disappoint. I had the fish special, mahi mahi, and it was fantastic. $85TT. Others in our party had the mojo chicken which was great in flavor but a bit over-cooked. If you like your chicken breast on the moister side, ask them to cook it less. I think this was $135TT.
Alex Douglas
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Alex Douglas »

Hello all ,today is my first day in Black Rock, Tobago and I'm having a blast. When I return I will post a complete review of the accommodations ,as I think it will be unfair to start reviewing an accommodation untill the stay is complete. I can ,however post a review of a restaurant that I patronized.

The owner of my guest house recommended ,house of pancakes on milford road, it's sort of hidden away behind another restaurant but seemed to be very popular with visitors and locals alike. My daughter had the pankes which were first rate , my wife had the coconut french toast ,she loved it, I had a saltfish ommlette , and we had coffee and to top it off the service was great.

I took time to point out to the owner that I was impressed with his service. I went in just to look at the menu and he greeted me so warmly that i did'nt need to see the menu I just knew that was where I was eating .I know that some of us in the caribbean seem to miss the concept of customer service ,but not at this place on this day.

The owner was welcoming and friendly and kept checking on all the guest to see if they were ok. They have a very nice fusion of international cusine with a local flair , my daughter had a smoothie made with fresh fruit and milk and fresh fruit was served along with breakfast . The price was affordable ,$198 tt was our bill, with 10% gratuity included in the price . The food is cooked to order so there is a little wait but I don't mind because I once read somewhere , that good food is not fast and fast food is not good :)
Last edited by Alex Douglas on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
GillMathews
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by GillMathews »

I agree with Alex about The House of Pancakes.I love the informality of the place but in particular the warm welcome every time you go there.It is only a short walk away from my usual accomodation so I go there a couple of times each trip. Pancakes with fresh coconut and pineapple,lovely.Look out for the birds taking the lids off the sugar pots for a free meal!!!!
Enjoy the rest of your trip Alex 8)
Gill x
Alex Douglas
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Alex Douglas »

Thank you for your warm regards, Gill. :D

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”