Rex Turtle Beach Hotel

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Sharon D.

Rex Turtle Beach Hotel

Post by Sharon D. »

Can anyone help me? We have just booked a late deal to Tobago for late October staying at the Rex Turtle Beach.

We've read mixed reviews about this accommodation but we're not the sort of people to be influenced one way or another. If it is basic, it'll just be a good base point. We do intend to hire a car and would firstly like to know if anyone knows whether this is cheaper to do in advance from the UK or when you get there?

Also are there any eating establishments local to the hotel. We've read somewhere that its quite isolated, but it would be good to know if we can at least get breakfast somewhere closeby if we choose not to eat at the hotel as we're room only.

I'd be glad of any feedback.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Follow the advice here and book in advance with Yes! Tourism.

We did just that (Suzuki Vitara) when we stayed at the Rex in May.

Basic? Yes. Clean? Very. Friendly? I thought so.

It's a great base for getting to Crown Point (lots of restaurants etc that end), Scarborough, Arnos Vale, Englishman's Bay etc.

Ideal if the hotel is somewhere to sleep, grab breakfast and not much more.

We spent a day or two on the beach/pool (I took an 8 year old who couldn't swim well before we went) and it was fine.

We wasn't AI and didn't mind as we wanted to get out and about. Breakfast was well worth having though to set the day up nicely.

My final comment is that we are looking to go back start of december and are almost certain to return to the Rex (price being the main reason). We are yet to decide if AI makes more sense for us as we are going for one week we want to cram the days and maybe not go so far at night for a meal - and can't remember how much the evening buffet/meal costs if you are not AI!

We will almost certainly get a car and I won't look any further than Yes!

Anything else, just ask!
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

PS, the car will be dropped off to you and collected. It couldn't be easier.

:-)
Sharon D.

Thanks

Post by Sharon D. »

Thanks for the speedy response. Its put my mind at rest a little over the location.

It may seem a bit trivial but can you remember whether they provide beach towels or do we need to take our own?
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

When you check in (as a room only guest) they'll take £100 credit card deposit (it won't come off the account).

They'll give you a card that you hand in to get beach towels.

These are changed (by you) daily, ie drop "old towel" and get "new" at the beach hut on the beach - easily found. Best done in the AM.

At the end of the stay - hand the last towel in, and get the card back. Give this in when you check out - and deposit returned.

They also work out what you owe for meals/drinks (as room only you can sign for drinks and meals and pay at the end of the stay) and take that out the 'deposit'.

HTH!
Jenandbob White

re turtle beach

Post by Jenandbob White »

we have just returned from 2 weeks room only at the rex our advice is eat elsewhere (ie Toucan inn at crown point) food at the rex is poor quality for the price charged. Hire you car fron 'lady in red' crown point all taxis know her, good car good price.Take your tours with the A team, Kieth from the A team visits the rex and toucan most mornings.
We enjoyed Tobago despite staying at the Rex!!
Marian Young

Post by Marian Young »

Hi Sharon
I also stayed at Rex two weeks ago - and endorse everything Marc said, ie; it's perfect for a 'base' - but you need a car, and like Marc I hired in advance from 'Yes Tourism' and car was there following morning - an automatic Nissan which was great for 5 days. You simply leave the keys at reception after use & it is collected.

With regards to food there, like Marc again, we had the 'full breakfast', expensive at £9. but it does set you up for the day if you have a good appetite, as you can have as much juice, milk, tea & coffee, toast & jam - also the most wonderful mixed fresh fruit, plus of course - eggs, bacon,sausage, beans,etc.

At £18 per. head, I would not recommend the evening meal.(We tried one.) very expensive & poor quality cooking. We found eating a problem in the evenings as we were so tired after 'filling the days' with our own-made tours (much cheaper if you have hired car.) Also - as two females we were reluctant to drive much after sundown, not so much for safety - more an unfamiliarity with the roads. In the end - we just filled ourselves up with the wonderful Pina Coladas served at the hotel - being so thick, it was like drinking a 'food'. (Plenty of nourishment - I'm sure!)

You can hire a fridge at the hotel(We tried, but none was available during our stay.) We did hire a kettle though - which was invaluable for the 'first thing' cup of tea which I need!

Enjoy your stay.
Marian
Sam Deeks

The Rex TB - trying to be balanced (forgive the length!)

Post by Sam Deeks »

Hi
Have read a whole pile of things positive and negative about the hotel and would like to offer my take if it helps.

My partner and I just came back after two weeks there. I'll say straight away that we spent about 4 days fairly incapacitated through very painful ear infections that I personally feel may have had something to do with the pool.

Now, having said that, I want to make something clear. Despite the efforts of the hotel management, I sense that it is a humungous task to keep a pool that's located right next to a beach clean and healthy when it bakes in the sun at 104 degrees for most of the day. Perhaps - whether or not the pool was to blame for our discomfort - the most sensible advice (which I wish we'd had) would be to avoid swimming underwater in ANY caribbean hotel pool. Have you ever looked underwater through goggles HERE in the UK at a public pool / leisure centre? If you have, you'll see sights you wish you hadn't... corn plasters, pubic hairs, snot (sorry) and all manner of other things floating about. Are we surprised? Not really.

So I want to be fair about the caution WE need to exercise in bathing in what must be a pretty biologically active soup in a pool in the caribbean.

Now to the hotel in general and its people. Sadly, we heard (around the pool on the few days we were 'trapped' there when we didn't have transport) so much grumbling about this hotel. We went Room Only and the grumbling was loudest from the all inclusive guests (understandably) but not exclusive to them.

The MAIN grumbles were the following - which (your patience permitting) I'd like to address in the same order.

1) Staff Attitude
2) Promises not kept / material things not right
3) Quality of food / cost of 'hotel' arranged things

1) Staff attitude
I was born in Trinidad and I understand perhaps better than some visitors the Trinbagonian character... To a first time visitor, the T&T attitude can seem perplexing; a confusing mix of great warmth and scathing disdain - often experienced from the same person in the space of a single hour. At risk (throughout this report!!) of making massive and unforgivable generalisations, T&T people are (in my experience) not 'natural' service type people. They love to be treated with respect - and our 'european customer - always- right' ethos is not the Trinbagonian paradigm... never was. Dealing with T&T staff involves the kind of interpersonal negotiation that while for some expecting AI 'service' is deeply unsatisfactory, can also - if you approach it from the right mindset - be deeply rewarding.

Perhaps the single most noticeable thing is that if your request is outside of the narrow normal machinations of things (i.e. can we have a pot of coffee for two, NOT in there, out here, NOT on room tab but for cash please) it easily becomes a major kerfuffle (as Lou would say in Little Britain). If you want a TV in your room that requires that someone stop what they're doing (the normal, relaxed, sticking to the regular way of things) and get into a whole set of moving things around from here to there, it will become a major problem. From a UK perspective, it is all too easy to read this as a rejection of our request - a failure in customer service. But if you don't approach it from this angle, you'll find the process of negotiating what you want with these proud (sometimes aloof and surly) people almost charming. If you come expecting 'Moathouse' robotic UK efficiency there is only one possible outcome; you will be upset, indignant, enraged even. And if there's one thing that a Trinbagonian will not respond to (other than in kind) it's you doing your outraged, rich whitey thing on their heads :-)

2) Promises not kept / material things not right
Whether we like it or not (and I suspect we do, since we seek it out as an antidote to our stressed first world lives), T&T is a hot, developing country. For those reasons, for reasons of general 'small island' inefficiency and because of the characteristics I've described above, things are HARD to get done. If you want to know what the General Manager of the Rex has to put up with, try building your dream house in Tobago and I guarantee that you'll either have gone grey or lost your hair years before it's completed... and it WILL be years before it's completed. :-) The things that are 'grubby' - the details in the rooms, the sun parasols on the pool deck, the fact that your water didn't work for a few days here and there are - and be warned if you CANNOT tolerate this - a fact of life. The General Manager's biggest problem is that he cannot find staff who will work to the European mindset (he's in Tobago, for God's sake where if you're lucky enough to earn the minumum wage of £1.00 and hour you're doing extremely well.) Those smart security guards employed to look after your white ass (and I mean that in the sense of the colour of your sun-starved butt :-)) are on £1.20 per hour. Keep that in mind to keep a sense of perspective on this.

3) Quality of food / cost of hotel arranged things
The hotel has two motivations for positioning itself as a middle man between you and your money and the real world outside its doors waiting to take that money off you. One is genuinely your safety. Unless you are a robust individual capable of dealing positively and cheerfully with unexpected and strident interactions with local people, your experience WILL often be better if you pay a bit through the nose for the hotel food, the hotel-arranged taxis, the hotel-arranged tours, the hotel-arranged car hire. Its more expensive but EASIER for those who aren't sure how to interact with the local T&T character.
The second motivation is that, of course, the hotel makes a little more money if you stay in and eat its food (less interesting and often less delicious than, say, Pepi's roti in Scarborough). And of course, there is a sealed-in relationship that it has with it's approved 'vendors'. Face it, you'd probably do the same for much the same reasons if you ran the hotel.

Overall, if / when you develop an open understanding of the local community and way of life, sure, get out and take the cheaper taxis, eat the great home-made food, find the colour of the local supermarkets. But don't be offended that the hotel anticipates that you DON'T have that local experience / understanding. Judging by my experience, most visitors don't.

A sure fire recipe for disaster during your holiday (or for rubbishing your memories of it later) is to go to Tobago UNWILLING to understand the essential differences that exist - and that, let's face it, truly give your experience its richness and colour.

Go with an open mind, smile a lot - YOU MIGHT AS WELL COS YOU'RE IN A BEAUTIFUL PLACE :-) - and don't take how the locals are personally. If you can get past that - even the psssssssst! Dahlin' fired at your girlfriend as you pass - you'll have a great time.

Hope this was worth the effort to read. :-)
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Sam,I agree with most(but not all) that you have said.The main point,however,is that we,the guests to the Island,must make the first approach--a cheerful good morning with a genuine smile will,in my experience,always be returned in triplicate.Well I'm off on Monday to the land of 'Ya Welcum'!Yahoo!!!! David :D :D :D
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Sam,

Like David - I agree with almost everything you say (and it's inteesting to get a Trinibagonian view).

Doesn't it really boil down to the fact that if you, the visitor, are nice and friendly to people in the country you're visiting, 99 times out of a hundred they will be nice and friendly to you.

That and not going with unreal expectations - and remembering that we in Europe are used to a high speed pressured existence - and somewhere like Tobago thankfully has not yet succumbed to this yet (and hopefully never will).

Jane (16 and a bit weeks and counting!)

PS David - have a great time (and stop gloating)!!
Sam Deeks

sure thing

Post by Sam Deeks »

Hi Jane + David

You're right - but it would seem that 90% of the people staying at RTB last couple of weeks were *somehow* not party to that same bit of common sense and courtesy we're talking about...

Weird, that. I think that expectations are too high - what I tried to say in my long post was something about the difference between expectation and reality (as I understand it).

Anyway, I'll be back again in the not too distant future - whether at RTB or not.. There's nowhere I enjoy swimming more than in that deep, clear water at Store Bay. Being lifted and cooled in those swells (with a rum or two whenever the mood strikes!) is worth the airfare and the accommodation price alone.

Hope you all enjoy your trips

Best wishes
Sam
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Sam

Actually, I do think that the holiday companies and their brochures have a lot to answer for. Many people rely completely on these when making their choice of destination, location and accommodation - and, lets face it, tour companies want to sell their allocated rooms at the top price possible (discountng only if it becomes a choice between some cash or empty rooms), so they're not going to present "their" hotels in a negative light. This means that tourists who have done no other research on their destination do run the risk of finding that it is not what they expected. This is particularly true for somewhere like the Rex.

As everyone keeps saying - you pays your money and you takes your chance! Go with reasonable expections and no preconceptions - and, chances are, you will be agreeably surprised and have a great holiday. Go expecting perfection - and you won't get it, so will be disappointed.

Gosh this is all getting very philosophical for a Saturday morning!

The main thing is - go with an open mind, and Tobago will work it's magic!

Jane
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Haven't posted (or read) much here since returning as I'm Jonesin' for Tobago badly and needed to get rid of the cold (literally) turkey for Tobago!

I just want to add that I found the staff at worst a bit stand-offish but never enough to bother me. I merely carried on being blissfully happy that I was back in Tobago and tried my best to cheer them up.

Few seem to appreciate they may be having a bad day, I made certain all my family said thanks for even the smallest effort on our behalf, and I made sure I left a decent tip for the maid (sounds like I left at least a day's pay and possibly more).

The Rex wasn't brilliant by European standards, but I only slept there to be honest.

I had an upper floor and much preferred it to a ground floor (I had last time).

As for the pool, the two pool attendants cleaned and scrubbed it daily when I was there, sure a few dead flies and gunk end up there by 6pm, but my son was in it almost daily (mostly before we went out or went we got in, only the last "check in chill out day" did we stay there all day) and no ear infections happened. I get them a lot at home, none experienced in 3 weeks (in total this year) in the pool.

The pool is a great feature if you have kids. My son loves the sea, but it's nice to be able to mellow out with a book and the iPod and not worry about him in there - besides which he met a friend and had fun with him in there. We didn't miss a beach for the pool (ie swap) but we did use it and it was VERY hard to get my 9 year old out.

I appreciate someone wanted full-on AI and no exploration would be miffed at the Rex, but as a base, room only (with the buffet breakfast daily) I could wish for little more.

I wish I was at the Rex right now. I wonder how much a residency would be? ;-)
Richard

Post by Richard »

My wife and I have been 3 times to the Rex, the last time with our then 10 month old son.

We have never had any problems with any of the staff. May be it's because our attitude even here in the UK is so relaxed to be almost horizontal. When I fell ill on the first visit (nothing to do with Tobago or the hotel) they were extremely concerned and helpful and with Yanni on our last visit, well he got his own fan club.

We didn't want over attentive staff, that's one of the reasons we chose the Rex. The main reason is the location and the fact that all the rooms face the sea (no supplements for sea view rooms here.)

On a down note, the food was discernable worse on each visit. Especially the soups which changed from a range of consitencies, flavours, ingredients to a nasty, grey paste each time. (Maybe the fishermen could use it to seal their boats?).

Wish I was going back sooner. Maybe in 2006.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”