Just back from the Rex Turtle Beach Hotel

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Anna M

Just back from the Rex Turtle Beach Hotel

Post by Anna M »

Just returned from 2 glorious weeks at the Rex. I found the hotel very nice and clean and spacious. (If you are looking for luxury this hotel is probably not for you but it is only a 3 star hotel and you get what you pay for!)All the staff and locals were very friendly and helpful.
The beach is great.Very long and sandy but be careful of the big waves.Not a good beach for children. Take some 50%Deet insect repellant as i got bitten before i slapped it on.The pool is very nice and big. I went room only but found the meals in the hotel expensive (£18 for dinner. £9 for breakfast)so i would go AI next time. I am a veggie and found plenty to eat in the hotel and enjoyed the food very much.There are very few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.I emailed the hotel with my room requests and got exactly what i wanted. A very big,quiet room with an amazing sea view (room 355).I would recommend Peter Cox tours if you want to see the island and its wildlife.You can book them at the hotel.Peter Cox is a great guy and devoted to conserving the wildlife on Tobago. Shame the government isn't! I was lucky to see a nesting turtle on Turtle beach! I got no trouble from beach vendors and felt very safe at all times on the island-even wallking at night on turtle beach.
There are 4 stray dogs that live on the beach at the hotel.Please be kind to them as they are very friendly and like to be taken for walks.Please also try and explain to them not to dig up turtle nests!Tobago needs to neuter its stray dogs and cats and do more to protect its endangered leatherback turtles.Only 100,000 left.
I would like to thank this website for all the useful advice and help i found on it.
Dave Martin

Post by Dave Martin »

Just caught up on your trip report. Really glad you had an enjoyable time.
Dave
Anne Sykes

Rex Turtle Beach

Post by Anne Sykes »

I have been viewing this wonderful website for some time and thought it would now be a good idea to actually register and use it properly!

We returned from our second trip to Tobago this week. We were there the first time in June 2003 and even though it rained for nearly the whole two weeks we were there we loved the RTB so much we thought we'd go back again. We were not dissappointed. And the weather was FAB this time too!!!

Having read so many mixed reviews about the RTB, (most of them negative) I was dubious about going a second time. The place was basic the first time and many reviews suggested this hadn't changed. Yes, it's still shabby, BUT, what a location!!!

Being repeaters on an AI package, we were looked after very well. It was nice to see some of the waiting and bar staff still there, and they remembered us, which was wonderful!

We hired a car from Michael (Frankies) and attempted to go see places but the next morning, the car wouldn't start. A quick phone call to Frankies and 10 minutes later the car was sorted. The battery lead had come off!!! What a laff! Anyway, we set off to Castara where we were personally serenaded on the beach by a solo steel drummer! Then off to Englishmans Bay for lunch and Chris did some fishing - didn't catch anything though, those fish see him coming!!

After that, a trip to the Rain Forest and our day was complete. That night we saw yet another huge Leatherback Turtle come onto the beach to lay her eggs. Magical end to a lovely day!

While the new pool is great, I do think that it has changed the atmosphere of the hotel. During the second week of our stay the pool was inundated by shreiking kids dive bombing off the Jacuzzi and spoiling the peace, quiet and relaxation for the other guests. Very little was done to control these kids by either their parents or the staff, so this spoilt it somewhat. It might be a good idea to put some kind of decorative topping to the Jacuzzi to stop kids standing on it?

Oh and those dogs. What little cuties they are. All they want is some fuss and companionship. We were on a ground floor room and because Chris had walked them to the jetty when he had gone fishing on a number of occasions, we woke to find a couple of them curled up asleep on the patio on a few mornings!!!

Anyway, we will most likely have a third trip to Tobago at some time in the future. It's a wonderful place that captures your heart and we love it!
Sandra Daniel
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Just back from Rex Turtle Beach too

Post by Sandra Daniel »

Hi all

Well, we returned from the Rex Turtle Beach on Tuesday and I must say that we had a great holiday.

We were greeted on arrival with cold towels and rum or fruit punches. I think that all the people on our mini-bus were, "repeaters", as we seemed to be walking into a family reunion, with kisses from staff and huge smiles all round.

As I said in my previous post, my husband and I stayed at Turtle Beach 13 years ago - before kids and before Rex had taken over - but we were given a repeaters wrist band as we had stayed at the Rex Grenadian last year. As we were told during our stay,the Manager is very keen on repeaters. Even the beach sellers looked at our wrists and said,"Ah repeaters". It made you feel quite important!

Our two inter-connecting rooms were ground floor at the beginning of the newer block, numbers 143 + 144. My heart did sink a little when we got to the rooms. They were large and clean, but very brown - dark wood everywhere. I think that some of the rooms had been brightened by large blue lamps - but ours were cream and had seen better days. Also the black out lining on the curtain was peeling off which didn't look too pleasant. However the whole hotel had such a lovely atmosphere that we soon felt at home. The maid would knock early evening to turn down the beds and she usually left a small posy of flowers on the sheets.

The air conditioning in the boys room broke down one morning. By the time we had reported it at the front desk and walked back to our room there was a man waiting by our door to fix it, which he did quickly and efficiently.

On reading your review Anne - it seems funny that we said,"Good morning", for two weeks and now we are home I know your name! - yes the children on the second week were pretty horrific - and I speak with three boys of my own - they were the nice, well mannered ones! I think that the problem was there were two single parent families each with three boys and putting a couple more families in to the equasion with two boys each really added up into a bit of a riot to put it mildly. The security guard did tell them not to jump off the jacuzzi, he also explained to the parents that there was a step at the base of the jacuzzi and if they misjudged their jump they could injure themselves. I really don't think that the parents were in control - it was their holiday and they intended to enjoy themselves - which I hear one of them did - very much!!!!!!!!!

The new sunbeds, tables, chairs and sun shades had arrived. Bright yellow and green - very smart. Still not enough shade for everyone though.

I found the food lovely. I did hear people complaining about the sameness - but then I feel the same when I wander round Sainsburys - same old, same old. As long as I didn't have to cook it - it was lovely!

We went fishing with Stumpy the Tuna Man. He wanted to take us snorkelling and show us the sights for two hours or more, but we said that the boys really wanted to fish - so he took us for one hour which was plenty. He let all three fish with rods and they caught 12 tuna between them. They were so excited and what a nice man he was.

We saw 3 turtles laying their eggs. I do wish that people would respect them more and the people from SOS who are trying so hard to protect them. Apparently one evening a turtle had come onto the beach quite early. Lots of guests rushed out from the bar - some a little worse for wear - an SOS lady was pushed out of the way to enable guests to touch the turtle and flash their cameras in her face. The turtle became very distressed as did the SOS lady.

We met some lovely people - one couple flew out a couple of days before us and had put a post on the website. It was nice to put faces to names.

We will definately return to the Rex Turtle Beach. We are looking into staying for 3 weeks next time, but I think we will definately be avoiding school holidays!!!!
Anne Sykes

Post by Anne Sykes »

Hello Sandra and family

Yes, I remember you too and can now put a name to your face! AND, your three boys behaviour was exemplary, you must be so proud of them!! By the way, how is the pool coming on in the back garden for your youngest?!?!
Sue Kirby

Just got back to Uk

Post by Sue Kirby »

We got back from the Rex last week, had a great time and met a lot of nice people.The hotel is a bit tatty in places the room that we stayed in was comfortable, had a great view of the beach and was equiped to a good standard but it really does need refurbishing soon.The warmth of greeting you got from 99% of the staff was very refreshing and it seemed as if nothing was to much trouble if they could help you. :)

I do feel that the management is letting its self down by allowing people to go into dinner in short,s footballshirts and flip flop,s (the dress code is long trousers and collard shirts) this was not just on one night it was the same people every night from the day thay arrived untill we left. :?

We count ourselves very lucky to have watched seven turtles lay their egg,s during our two week stay and saw Ellie from SOS swim out to sea with a torch over her head to help the poor turtle that Sandra was talking about back to the sea, 8) this is the one that the hotel night duty manager who encouraged people to stand right next to the turtle, touch the turtle shone torches at her before SOS arrived, :( the managers should be made aware that it is the Turtles and its position on turle beach that are its main attraction, maybe a little more training is required for the managment team I am sure Ellie would be more than happy to provide it!. :wink:
Hi Sandra how are the boys ( Hope thay are still eating soup).
We hope to go back to the Rex and Turtle beach next year at about the same time. :D

Return to “Starfish Tobago”