Just Home from Rex Turtle Beach

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Debs

Post by Debs »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 03 March 2003

Having returned just yesterday I am still not quite sure which way is up, but will do my best to give my opinion of what I can say was a wonderful island.

The outbound flight was a bit of a 'mix-up'. We flew with Monarch and found the whole thing to be chaotic at best. The check in at Gatwick was somewhat strange with all Monarch flights being checked in together, so there were people with ski's, people with surfboards etc., all due for different flights all at the same place at the same time. After waiting for around 20 minutes someone realises they had booked the wrong person onto the wrong flight and we were told to join another part of the queue losing around 10 places (or another 20 minute wait) Thankfully a Cristal ski rep. saw what was going on and did her best to sort it out, but I have to admit my patience was failing at this point. The flight was via. Grenada, to allow people off and to collect some people returning. The people returning were allocated the same seat numbers of peeople staying on the plane for Tobago, which caused some 'playground' scenes, and 'handbags at dawn' tactics. The flight attendants had quite a job on their hands to sort everyone out and ended up telling people to just sit anywhere until the people staying in Tobago had left the plane and then the seating would be correct. I'm sure there must be a better way of organising this, as some people seemed very upset they couldn't sit at their allocted seats.

When we did arrive, it took over an hour to clear immigration, despite the fact there were only 6 people in front of us, and the last of my patience was truly being tested. As soon as we had cleared the airport any thoughts of stress were quickly removed by the locals waiting outside to offer taxi's to your hotel. They were all so very friendly and treated us like old friends immediately.

We stayed at the Rex Turtle Beach, and I have to agree with most of the other reports posted here regarding the hotel. It is badly in need of refurbishment, but clean and comfortable. Most of the staff were extremely pleasant, with the notable exception of one of the reception staff. There was a problem with the hotel water and a note was posted on the main notice board saying that until the situation had been resolved complimentary bottled water was available from the reception area. When we asked for some the chap told us we had to buy it from the shop. We told him about the note and he shrugged his shoulders and walked away. One of the other guests took the note down and gave it to him, and he promptly screwed it up and put in in the bin. It wasn't the cost of the water, but the whole principal that bothered me. The food was ok, but lacked variation, and I had some concerns as both raw and cooked meats were handled with the same utensils, but it was generally tasty enough and there was plenty of it.

The beach was wonderful and the traders very friendly and not at all pushy. I ended up buying most of my keep sakes from them, and especially one guy called 'Engine Bobb' that carved bird feeders, ashtrays and pen holders. They are stuning. I had a massage from Mary on the beach too, which after a hard days sun bathing (!) is very welcome and wonderful! I also had my nails painted on the beach by a lady called Rachel and would recommend this to any woman staying there!

Although only there for one week we took a total of three trips. We went to the rain forest with a guy called Peter Williams, who is very knowledgable about the local birds and plants. I wouldn't have missed this for the world, and will always remeber being so close to the humming birds. Awesome. We took a half day trip to Buccoo Reef, the Nylon Pool, Pigeon Point and No-Mans Land with 'Stumpy the Tuna Man', who was one of the jolliest people I have ever met. Again I wouldn't have missed this for anything or anybody, and will definately go again when I return. I am not the strongest swimmer in the world and he lent my a rubber ring for snorkelling so that I didn't miss out. I would have liked to spend longer at Pigeon Point as it appeared the tropial ideal, and on my return will spend a day there. Our final trip was with 'Frankies' and we took a days coastal tour past Castara, Enlighmans Bay etc. The sea was very rough on the way there but it was very worthwhile. The snokelling was better than at Buccoo Reef, which is saying something, and again they provide life jackets if you are not a great swimmer. The trip was finished off with a bbq at Paradise Bay, which was desterted apart from our trip (all 10 of us!) All in all it was another fantastic day.

We went to Sunday Scool which was great fun and my favourite evening of the holiday. The bands were great and we danced and partied with the locals as if we had been on the island for years. I am not joking when I say they are some of the friendliest and nicest people I have ever met. Everyone was just great.

A week was just not long enough and I will definately return again and again, although I'm not sure I would go back to the Rex. Whilt it has to have one of the best locations of the island as far as the beach is concerned, and it does offer excellent value for money, I would prefer to be a little closer to a main village/town and stay somehwere aimed at a slightly younger target, as most of the guests at the hotel seemed around retirement age.

Togabo has to be one of the best places I have ever visited for hospitality, beaches and general island beauty. It is just a pity to be home again so soon. Thanks for all the advice before I went and taking time to read this - its a bit long I know but I am so taken with the island, I can't shut up about it!

Debs.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hello again Debs. I am so pleased that you enjoyed Tobago as some of us predicted! In fact, it is intriguing how peoples' perceptions of the same things differ so much (eg the hawkers on the beach) - maybe some of the people who say they hassle too much should try a trip to SE Asia or India to get things into perspective. I agree with your account. Regarding the Rex Water problem you had, I imagine they are being over-cautious with their own supply given that there was a health scare over a different hotel's supply last year, now sorted. The local health inspectors take these hygeine very seriously in the large places, and so will the owners - why not write to the parent company here in the UK to raise the water rudeness and meat handling issues? They may even send you some vouchers, but more importantly - if they know views like yours are being aired on sites like this - might kick some butt! I hope you (and Steve?) don't mind, but I cut/pasted and saved your review to send to curious first timers who email me asking the usual question : "all inclusive or holiday home in a village" . I think your post answers it very well! You are now a Tobago-addict - welcome to the club! Best wishes,
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Debs

Thanks for you detailed and interesting post. I am delighted that you enjoyed Tobago so much – even if the trip started off so poorly.

Your mention of a certain local craftsman brought a big grin to my face. We recently stayed at a villa out in the wilds of Arnos Vale, next door to the said artisans home (let’s call him Rob to avoid embarrassment). Like you, we loved his work and bought tons. My sister used to walk down to his home in the evenings, sit around with Rob and his neighbour “Ancient” and ‘lime’ over a beer and a smoke. This alone says it all about Tobago – a lady in her early fifties wandering down dark and lonely lanes to enjoy an evening chat with locals.

Anyway, Rob is a very colourful Rastafarian. He has what can only be described as the Irish gift of the blarney. “You’re cooking on gas” seems to be his favourite compliment and he is guaranteed to have you in stitches within minutes. He’s a really, really nice guy and highly skilled to boot.

Well, one day we were driving back to the villa when we saw Rob and his youngest son (10 or 11) walking back from school. We stopped and offered a lift. The son jumped in, but Rob was heading elsewhere. Then Rob launched into one of his full-on Rasta discourses. His son, a perfectly ordinary looking and sounding (i.e. non-Rasta) lad dressed in immaculate white school shirt, looked at his father with the widest eyes I have ever seen. His expression said it all. “Dad, you are SO embarrassing”. I really don’t think he had ever seen Rob in full Rasta-jive flow with a tourist. He sat shaking his head all the way back to Arnos Vale. It was absolutely hilarious and showed that kids are the same the world over. Mind you, Jill reckons she still often sees that expression on the face of our kids, even though our youngest is 27.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Debs

Post by Debs »

Hi again, Thanks for the replies and yes you have hit the nail right on the head about now a Tobago addict! And about 'Engine Bobb'! Of course I don't mind you using my comments to help people out - it was only last week that I was needing all the help and info. I could find, so please feel free. I have been busy surfing this site this morning looking for my next accomodation/holiday idea and am thinking of 2 weeks in July, one at the northern end of the island and one at the southern, perhaps at guesthouses this time, so any recommendations are welcome! (The Speyside Inn looks good to me as a starting point). I will write the the owners of the Rex about the water issue as yes, it may help if the same thing happens again. The view out of my window here in London is grey and miserable, but the memory of the palm trees, that lovely blue sea, the glory of the sunshine, the humming birds, the warmth of the locals etc etc etc........................ Roll on July!
John

Post by John »

Hi Debs Pleased to read your report we are going to Rex in May and glad to be flying with Virgin (Direct). We flew out to The Gambia on Monarch A330 A little tight on leg room. As for the hotel it can be no worse than in Gambia,as long as its clean. Glad to see you enjoyed the Bird life we are going A for a holiday and B to do some Bird Watching. Did you arrange your trips with the locals?. Any other tips what are the drinks like at the Rex. Did you go out by taxi if so approx cost. Will maybe ask more question later if you dont mind. Bet your glad to be home to the sunny UK.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Hi John,

I know you will enjoy your stay at the Rex. I will elaborate a little on the hotel for you.

The staff are all excellent (apart from that one chap on reception). The swimming pool is so tiny I thought Charlie Dimmock may have installed a water feature, but you really don't need it as the beach is just wonderful. Our room was clean and confortable with plenty of wardrobe space, a huge mirror, two comfy beds and plenty of 3 pin sockets if just a little tatty. One warning there is no kettle/drink facilities in the room, so if like me you enjoy your early morning cuppa, do take a travel kettle with you. The air conditioning was VERY noisy but worked well enough to leave on whilst you were out and about and switch off at night. The bathroom was the part in need of major refurbishment, and although it was clean the bath was chipped the loo seat discoloured and the grouting needed replacing. There was always plenty of hot water though and it was always cleaned very well.

The restaurant was clean enough and the food always hot and tasty, although the salads did lack imagination and could be repetitive. Both bars were well stocked, and during the day when you fancy a soft drink, the fruit punch is superb. The hotel is in a very quiet location, and there is almost nothing around it, so if you are a bit of an adventurer, do hire a car. Despite my comments about the same utensils being used for raw and cooked meats, I ate everything, and didn't suffer any tummy troubles at all - so maybe I am just being over sensitive about that.

The bar staff are great, especially Jason, Vernon and Dennis (I had an especially soft spot for Vernon, as he made the most wonderful cocktails and if you asked him for a 'surprise' he always managed a different one! ranging from Pina Colada, Tequilla Sunrise and something called a Brown Cow which turned into my favourite)

All our trips were booked o the beach, as the guides do the rounds on Sundays trying to catch the new arrivals! Peter Williams (the guy that took us to the rainforest) was brilliant and I can't sing his praises highly enough. He has on open top jeep and will take just the two of you on a personalised trip (cost is $70.00 per person - excludes lunch, but you can get a packed lunch from the hotel). We set off at 6am and didn't arrive back until 4pm and took in parts of Plymouth, the coastal raod to the rainforest, followed the Gilpin Trace through, stopping regularly to take in the birds/wildlife, stopped for lunch on the way to Castara where we visited some waterfalls for a swim and then back. Nothing was rushed and it was all done at your own pace.

Do take a trip with Stumpy the tuna man - he is a great character and we thoroughly enjoyed the 1/2 day. (cost was $40.00 per person and included an 'open bar' which consisted of beer, 7-up, and bottled water). As far as the birds go, there are loads around the hotel, and all are stunning. The humming birds fed just outside our room early each morning, so we made sure we were up at around 6.30am just for that! I got chatting to one of the security guards at the hotel who was fairly knowlegable about the birds and he told us on our next visit to go to the Grafton Bird Sanctuary. We didn't get there this time, but I bet it is well worth a visit.

Peter Cox, a local wildlife expert, gives lectures at the hotel (ours was on Tuesday at 5.30pm) and he is very interesting and its well worth taking an hour out to listen to him. Also, they give a garden tour one afternoon around the hotel, and this is facsinating as well as informative and again well worthwhile. The gardens are beautiful and well maintained - they are stcoked with lots or orchids amongst other things.

Feel free to ask me about anything else and if I can help I will - have a great time and if you need someone to carry your bags for you, you know where I am!
John

Post by John »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 04 March 2003

Hi Debs Thanks for your info just great getting it all first hand. Did you take US$ or Sterling Cash / TCheques. Plastic is that also OK. Pool sounds POOR never mind will have to make do with the beach enjoy long walks along the sand Ians report gives tips for walking once again very handy. Will keep an eye out for your Man. We are planning to go to Trinidad to Asa Wright Centre they have a web site you may like to look at. Any Photos available if so mail them to me at [email protected] once again thanks for the info, sure to want more.
Jacqui B

Post by Jacqui B »

Debs, was good to hear your comments as we are going in August, with an eleven year old (that should liven the place up) We have decided on Room only as we do like to explore and will be hiring a car for at least one week. Is there anywhere within walking distance to eat/shop for food? Also what were the prices like in the hotel for eating, were you able to get fairly light lunches etc? Will no doubt think of more questions as time goes on! many thanks. Jacqui.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”