That new pool

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Barry

That new pool

Post by Barry »

Has anyone heard whether the pool upgrade went ahead and, if so, when it is likely to be completed? Is it beng built to the tempo of the Caribbean clock? Just wondered as I was contemplating the Rex for June next year. Surely by then? Would appreciate any info that anyone can provide.
Steve, you were right, after Tobago there is nowhere else to compare. As ever, great site.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Barry

The pool builder is the guy who built our pool at Carlyn Lodge and he is due to complete the pool at Canoe Bay Beach Resort - when his boys have finished the Rex. Work is very much live, from all I have heard - including from four guests who drove past the Rex yesterday and said that it was a building site.

If I have reason to go up that way I shall report here, but at the end of the day a huge, efficient company such as the Rex corporation would not leave one of its earners out of action for long.

If you are worried, try diversifying? There is more to life than all-inclusive hotels (my opinion/policy!).

Have fun whatever
Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Barry

Rex

Post by Barry »

Thanks Glyn. We are planning room only at the Rex. All inclusive is not for us. Far too restrictive - especially on Tobago. Reviews on the food at the Rex seem pretty mixed so I certainly don't fancy being shackled to their restaurants for two weeks. The room only prices seem unbeatable - unless you know better of course.

All the best
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

I have posted this elsewhere but thought it would help to cross-post...

After seeing on tripadvisor.com that the pool work would be done by the end of December but that the Rex would be shutting in May for further work I rang Virgin Holidays (I've just booked RO at the Rex).

"Got through to Virgin. Hmm, get this...

They were told late that the Rex TB is being "renovated" between November 2nd and December 12th.

They suspect May 2004 will be free from works but in this instance they was not informed "timely" by the Hotel. They moved people. If I end up in a similar situation, I will be moved. Sounds like the only logical step doesn't it? Until I asked "where did you move people to"...

"The Rex Grenadian or the Rex Turtle Grenada".

Er, "What if I don't want to go to Grenada?"

"you can pick somewhere else in the brochure or lose your deposit".

It seems this happened because they was informed late and the rest of the island was "full". "
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

The latest I have is this...

"Dear Mr Jones,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Please be advised that we have almost completed our building work - a new pool, therefore, by May 2004, there will be no building work going on."

And relax.

(I hope).
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thamks Marc
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Dear Rex Turtle Beach lovers

Popped up there today, and initially thought it was still a building site, only to be told by security that it was open.

Made it to reception past wires, builders and cordoned areas and met with the "management" who showed me the new pool plus told me that the hotel had reopened - by coincidence today (and late by a few days).

The pool is lovely - huge and impressive, made of various circles with a bridge across it, a large central jacuzzi and swim-up bar. It will now rank right up there with the Hilton and Tropikist as one of Tobago's finest hotel pools (although wouln't cause much of a ripple internationally since Tobago pools are hardly world-beaters).

If nothing else looked totally complete (rooms refurbishment is an ongoing process I was told) then the pool is at least finished.

Hope this helps
Glyn Kirpalani
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks for the update Glyn. Truth is, we are almost certainly going to forego the pleasures of the Rex for Canoe Bay but it's good to know that the Rex have responded to the critisism - much of it from this site. Well done Steve and contributors.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Barry

They might have been influenced by the criticism, but they still show total contempt for our site. I wrote their manager a nice email saying that our reader's were obviously concerned about the work and asking if they would like to give interested parties an update. Needless to say, given their past attitude, they have failed to reply. I think we can safely say that illustrates their attitude.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Steve, I did get a reply, and when I thanked them I got

"Dear Mr Jones,

Looking forward to welcoming you to the Rex Turtle Beach Hotel, where we do hope you will have an enjoyable stay.

Best regards,

Thora John"

Rex Turtle Beach Hotel
[email protected]
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Steve and others

I reckon some service providers resent you because of this site's power and ability to rapidly take them to task for inadequate service.

In the old days, a spilt cup of coffee in someone's lap followed by a rude waiter/ess and nasty managers would be seen by just those guests in the immediate vicinity, plus the efficaciousness (is this a word?) of follow up written complaints kept to those involved.

Nowadays, such an ficticious incident could be circulated on the internet within hours or days, potentially slashing a resort's independent bookings - albeit barely touching the High St travel agents' package purchasers.

Is it any wonder that some establishments resent and fear you Steve, for exposing past misdemeanours as serious as criminal assaults on cutomers (NOT Rex) whilst others do all in their power to suck up to you?

(I have that Rolls Royce ready to collect you from the airport by the way).

Seriously, inevitably one day I too will be criticised. I expect this - noone can get it right all the time. But, unlike the sulkers I shall exercise my right in this forum to explain/defend, and if necessary publicly apologise - treat others as you would wish to be treated. The next generation of managers will, I have no doubt, received internet forum training as part of their travel and tourism studies.

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well said, that man!!!

(please remember to have the bottle of chilled champagne available in the Roller)
Steve Wooler
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

That new pool

Post by James Blackshaw »

Hi Steve,

Just got back from what was a wonderful wonderful holiday. It is in most ways thanks to you and the website. I would add to what Glyn has said in that all the people we dealt with, because of this site, could not have been more helpful and particularly praise the good work you are doing.

The CD was terrifically helpful out there and there will be plenty of forum reports to follow.

If we get the chance to meet up someday out there I will be more than happy to provide you with the chilled champagne (Dom P no less, same as we drank on Back Bay to watch the sunset (flash g#t))

Very best regards
James :lol:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

James

I was thinking of you just the other day and wondering how you were getting on. I’m really, really delighted that everything came up to expectation and that the site helped. The effort is more than worthwhile when you know that it is working. To be honest, I always get a little nervous recommending places/establishments – one man’s meat and all that jazz. Anyway, if you get the chance, please post some detailed reports – accommodation, restaurants, tours, car hire, etc., etc.

Living with Jill is like being permanently intoxicated and I’m a man of simple tastes, so I’ll pass on the Dom P, but more than gladly share a bottle or two of Stag with you. I certainly hope we get the chance to meet, particularly after your wonderful support for Andy Harries (who’s hanging on and still hoping to make it. Fingers crossed.)
Steve Wooler
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

that new pool

Post by James Blackshaw »

Steve,

Just as happy to share a Stag or Carib or two. Patrick from Yes-Tourism kept me in touch re Andy and fingers crossed I gather thankfully he is having a better patch.

I will post separate item on Patrick, Tanja and Yes Tourism, who needless to say were unbelievably helpful and delightful throughout.

Plenty of posts to follow and hopefully a few pics for you too Steve

Regards
James
Tim Green

Post by Tim Green »

Hi all,

I'm repeating myself as I've posted this elsewhere within the Forum but hey it's relevant to this string... :)

I'm due to stay at Rex Turtle Beach on the 1st Jan '04 so was as concerned as anyone with regard the building of a new swimming pool and refurb.

I sent a mail direct to Rex Resorts in London expressing these concerns and asking whether I would be staying at the Rex with 'work in progress' with the associated workmen and tools. I had this reply yesterday (18th Dec '03 @ 16:00Hrs):

Quote: "I am glad to say that all renovations at the Turtle Beach are complete and the new swimming pool is looking fantastic with its swim up bar and Jacuzzi."

(Romoved name for privacy)
Sales Support Manager
MRI / Rex Resorts
9 Galena Road
Hammersmith
London
W6 0LT
United Kingdom

Tel: + 44 (20) 87415333

So here's hoping...

Regards

Tim
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Tim

Keep an open mind is my advice. I saw the incomplete roofs, lots of trailing wires, builders, mud, cordoned areas etc, and was actually told by the manager's secretary that refurbishment will be going on for quite some time - on a room by room basis.

Hopefully this will not impede your enjoyment, but the beauty of the situation is, now you have them by the short and curlies with their written claim that work is over - you will have a good claim to compensation if you decide to take the matter further upon your return.

And for my next free tip: she also told me that due to the closure for refurbishment, they have a policy of putting unaccommodatable arriving guests in hotels of a higher grade (Le Grand Courlan, Coco Reef, Grafton Beach, Hilton etc) so why not kick up at the fron desk if you are genuinely unhappy (assuming work is in progress), wave that email under the managers' noses and wait/ask for an upgrade?

Hope it works out well anyway - if nothing else you will enjoy the pool
Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
Richard

Post by Richard »

Nice to hear that guests are now upgraded where they can't be accommodated at the Rex but we are returning to the Rex because it is the Rex. We honeymooned there and returned the following year. We really don't want to be else where especially the Hilton. We took a local pastor and his wife out there on 2002 and the food is good but the hotel could have been anywhere. One of the charms of the Rex is that it is definitely Caribbean and it has that wonderful location.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Glyn, what are the chances of work still going on in May 04?

(and boy do I wish I was going tonight...)
Joanne

Excellent pool renovations

Post by Joanne »

Hi Everyone

I keep checking this site, prior to my visit to the RTB in May. I am delighted by the pictures of the new pool - I can't wait to get there! :lol:

Have the bedrooms and public areas (restaurant / bars) been renovated too? Are there any pictures? Is the 'famous' air-conditioning less noisy in the bedrooms?

Also, just wondering what the Virgin Lounge is like at Gatwick; has anyone used it? Which terminal is it in?

Return to “Starfish Tobago”