Just over 2 weeks to go

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Christine Nelson
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Just over 2 weeks to go

Post by Christine Nelson »

Well roll on 21st Feb then I will back in Tobago returning to Rex Turtle. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Make sure you let us know how it was!

I go May 17th! (first visit to Tobago and first trip abroad for my 8 year old son!).
Christine Nelson
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Hi

Yes I will let you know I will we taking my Grandchildren age 5 and 18 months with me so I can let you know how it was for children..
I was there this time last year and it was great.
I also returned in July 03 to stay at Birdies Nest that was also geat.

Regards Chris :D :D :D :D
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

All inc or room only?

We went for RO (was £1600 for three of us from Virgin Holidays) but I have some nagging doubts about getting about at night to eat.

Pondering car hire for the two weeks.
Tim Green

Post by Tim Green »

Christine,

Just a word of warning to a fellow repeater to RTB.

I returned on the 1st Jan '04 for 2 weeks and on arrival (you know the feeling bleery eyed etc) I found the once magnificent gardens decimated due to the building of the new pool. Unfortunately, the only access for the plant and heavy machinery to the new pool site was from the other end (the 3 story end) of the hotel. This meant clearing trees and shrubs, lopping branches and creating (through constant use) a mud track either side of the paved path the length of the gardens infront of the hotel! In some places along the mud track and due to the heavy rain during the build, grey coarse loose road chippings were put down to prevent the heavy vehicals from sinking. All in all the gardens are not at all what they once were, nor will they ever be, however, give it 6 months (being in the tropics) there will be little evidence that works have taken place (other than your memories).

In my humble opinion, a rethink of the old pool was necessary for those few that complained about it's size. Myself, I would have build a slightly bigger pool in the same location as the old one. Instead the pool is v-large with an even bigger 'concrete' (paved) surround smack infront of the hotel and where the biggest area of gardens used to be... Was this extreme really necessary especially as again in my humble opinion I got far more enjoyment from the gardens than looking at an "anywhere in the world" swimming pool. Infact, I have never used the pools in all the times I have visited... the caribbean sea, it's right there in front of you!

If I were you I would call the hotel and ask for a room number from 130 onwards (or up to the 3 story bit, dependent on your preference). This will provide you with the most unspoilt aspect, other than the mud track either side of the paved walkway that used to run the length of the hotel (mud track was there 1st - 15th Jan '04).

Despite these changes, and once I had got over my initial shock and jet lag and became resigned to the fact that only time would heal the very angry scar in the gardens, I had a fantastic holiday as I'm sure you will too.

Any questions, just ask.

Regards

Tim
Christine Nelson
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Hi
I am going all inclusive same as last time.

Tim
Thanks for update on gardens.
Yes I loved the garden also.
I have requested 2 rooms close to the pool because of the Grandchildren
but not sure if I have done the right thing incase this is to close.What is your opinion on this.
I liked the way last time you could just go across the gardens to the Beach .I prefer the sea and beach to the pool but I am thinking of the children this time.

chris :D :D :D :D
Tim Green

Post by Tim Green »

Hi Christine,

Your choice is really dependant on how much privacy & quiet you want.

I would say that being close to the pool you are also close to the main reception area, bar (based at the pool), and entertainment area. Because the pool is now in front of the the hotel rather to one side the rooms closest to the pool are somewhat overlooked and therefore the bar is a consideration albeit the opposite side of the pool and a little further away.

Obviously, with the hotel rooms being basically a single long layout, the rooms closest to the reception area have the highest people traffic along the rear corridor/path behind the rooms. This is fine during the day, but after a few drinks at night some people can forget that others are trying to sleep (This can be said for the early birds too). Plus if you enjoy greetings and farewell conversations coupled with engine noise late at night then the arriving and departing taxis & busses will provide plenty (Especially Sunday School night). Not forgetting a conveniently positioned speed bump on the road near to the hotel entrance that all other traffic has to negotiate.

I sound like a grumpy barstuard, but different things are important to different people and it's really up to you to find the right balance for your and your Grand children that you will be comfortable with.

Again, I'd say rooms from 130 (I was in 134) onwards were the best compromise for my requirements. Ground floor rooms 130 toward the reception area views of the sea are either obscured by the new, rather large, watersports hut ([building] now positioned on the old sand volley ball area in the once gardens) or the quite extensive concrete fence between the pool and the beach.

I hope this helps.

Tim
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Tim, any view on a balcony room versus one with a terrace? A previous visitor here mentioned breakfast on their terrace and it sounded neat (was one of the reasons I went RO).

Lastly, being RO will I be in trouble heading out for evening meals with an 8 year old in tow and is a car vital for such ventures?

Thanks for any help.
Tim Green

Post by Tim Green »

Marc,

I'd say a ground floor room is best, simply because it will be much cooler at night. This is because the upstairs rooms have the sun beating down on the roof all day and this affects the rooms at night.

As far as going out, no problem, a car is nice but taxis are as easy.

Regards

Tim
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Excellent. Thanks!

I need to plan when to get a car as I do want to explore beaches. I guess the trick is knowing a taxi can take us off for a meal if we need one!

In your experience is there much by way of "within walking distance" from the RTB at night?
Richard

Post by Richard »

We are back just one week from the Turtle Beach.

There are two schools of thought about the new pool.

We went with our 11 month old and the pool was useful to take him swimming. There is little shade around the pool so aim for 1600 or later when the sun is lower and behind the trees on the beach.

The pool is very large but only some 1m deep. The bottom is a little rough. The swim up bar is very useful when most of the drink ends up down the front.

The pool has though decimated the gardens and thus drastically reduced the bird life. We both prefer swimming in the sea so saw less point in the pool in the first place. There is also often a scum floating on the surface at the west end steps. This is probably muck brought in by people not showering before swimming as requested.

On a quick other note. The balconies in most rooms are NOT child proof. We like the sticky out rooms in the new (3 floor) block and request a king size bed. This year we had a ground floor room and left the glass door open over night and most of the day, locking it only when we went for meals or away other than the beach. (The security hut is very close).
Rory McEvoy

RTB Reported Changes Scare Me!

Post by Rory McEvoy »

Hi Folks,

It's been over ten years since we were at RTB and really want to go back. However, what I'm seeing here scares me more than a little! When we were there construction on the three storey section to the south had just about finished but not yet ready for occupancy.

We were in a second floor room far from the reception area (almost opposite the tennis courts across the road) and one of the greatest pleasures was sitting on the little balcony overlooking the lawn, the coconut trees with their "beware of falling coconuts" signs, and the sea lapping the beach just past the lawns.

Has this all changed and is the tranquil RTB Tobago we remember gone?
Can anyone post some photos to show what it's really like now? Where exactly is the new pool? Sure the old pool was small but who flies for hours just to dunk in a tank of chlorinated water? PLEASE someone post some photos! Perhaps if permitted I can post photos (ex kodachrome!) of the RTB we hope to return to!

One question of recent visitors? Does "Dolphin" still appear on the RTB dinner menu? Back in 1988 we took two small kids there and they were very upset over this! To most North American kids Dophin (a la Flipper!) are something akin to friendly pets!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rory

Fear not. Yes, it has inevitably changed the look of the place but I have to say that the RTB is looking GOOD for the first time in more years than I can think.

I visited the Rex Turtle Beach in early February and had an extensive tour in the capable hands of their very charming new General Manager, Edmund Sidonie. While the pool was being built, they took the opportunity to renovate and paint all the buildings. The place is looking GOOD.

The pool is situated immediately outside the main reception area and borders the lounge, restaurant and bar area, right down to a new low sea wall which separates the hotel from the beach and helps to keep the beach traders out. It all looks really nice. Only the first half-dozen or so rooms are alongside the pool – the gardens remain the same as they were outside the vast majority of rooms.

Like you, I questioned the need for such a large pool. However, from the number of people using it or sitting around it during my tour, I have to say it is obviously highly popular.

I haven’t got any photos, but the two posted in the “Renovation Update” topic at the top of the forum are representative.

I don’t know if dolphin is still on the menu, but I would be surprised if it is not. This is actually dolphinfish – Coryphaenidae hippurus – also more commonly known as dorado or mahi mahi in Tobago. There’s a nice picture of one of these in our fishing article (or click here) pictured with our resident fishing expert, Steve Pitts (The dolphinfish is the one on the left). Absolutely no connection with flipper, I’m glad to say.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mahi-mahi was very occassionally offered. Our local Sainsbury here in the UK also stocks it.

Fish was normally king fish. Grouper once a week and worth it.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”