a rather large, very flat, green and yellow snake

Your questions on medical and security issues
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

a rather large, very flat, green and yellow snake

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Dear fellow brethren (and sisters) of the Tobagonian Order!
I must say that I have been intrigued for a while about an incident which happened to me on the way to Roxborough. I speeded along from the west coast with my "trusty" Suzuki, and nevertheless managed to hit a snake with a couple of wheels. I KNOW everyone says there are no poisonous snakes on Tobago, except my native friend Brian who is convinced there are lots of poisonous and non-poisonous ones and never enters the woods and is even less happy sitting in the garden. Possibly this snake doesn´t know it´s supposed to be off limits?

It was approximately 150 cm long, british racing green on the back and sides and rater clear yellow on belly with a deeper yellow on its chin. It had two rather large fangs. I am a doctor of medicine and not reptilology, so I can´t help You more. Does ANYONE out there have a clue about this rather fascinating beastie?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stefan

I contacted expert William Trim about your 'incident'. He says that the description fits that of a Leptophis ahaetulla - Parrot Snake. These are not venomous.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

green snakes

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Tks a lot Steve, how fitting! A parrot snake for Parrot Estate....
See You in Paradise and tks again for a wonderful site.

Return to “Health & Security”