Mozzies and other biting nasties.

Your questions on medical and security issues
T Heie

Post by T Heie »

Thanks for the info.
We invested in some Deep Woodsman's OFF! sold in the U.S. that is 100 percent DEET.
Probably not biologically the best thing to spray on one's self, but most likely effective, eh?

WE DEPART IN FIVE DAYS! 8)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi T

I don't mean to be pedantic, but DEET is not actually a repellent. It is an ingredient IN repellents to guard against insect borne diseases such as West Nile Virus, meningitis and malaria. In itself, it neither attracts or repels insects, but it certainly helps to prevent getting any illness as a result.

Fortunately, the T&T mossies and insects don't carry the same diseases as in many other countries. This can be seen in the best local repellents, Off! and Go! which both carry remarkably low DEET content (8-15%, depending upon the brand/type).

The point I'm making is that you have no need to choose repellent by DEET content. Tobago is not the Congo and high-DEET content repellents generally cost a lot more.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Just got back and the Jungle formula spray was OK, but I still got bitten. The Ultrasun roll-on worked best for me - but it was a pain to put on I ended up just rolling it on my legs and feet and not bothering to rub it in and didn't bother with all other exposed bits (arms etc). It seems that OFF is the most popular - and I will try that next time. The Zanza Click is still working a treat after the event !

Return to “Health & Security”