Jellyfish

Your questions on medical and security issues
M Smith

Jellyfish

Post by M Smith »

Does anyone know if there is a significant threat as far as jellyfish go? ie are there lots of them.. or poisinous varieties..? We are going in June, and this is the only thing that is making me regard my scuba/snorkelling stuff with some hesitation at the moment... I'm petrified of them!.. Thanks!
M. Smith
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi M

Sorry, but there's no easy answer to your question. As a general rule, they are not the slightest problem. I didn't see any this year or last year, but I remember a few years ago that while staying at the Coco Reef, the lagoon was full of tiny transparent jellyfish. They didn't sting, so weren't a problem - but they looked awful. Like all tropical waters, they come and go, but the 'problem' in Tobago is no worse than anywhere else.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
M Smith

Jellyfish

Post by M Smith »

Thanks Steve, I feel better about this now, I saw a programme about them on Sky Travel a few days ago. Not a very bright idea when we had just brought our scuba stuff!
Cheers for the advice and thanks for a marvellous website! My partner and I are always on this site now, its truly excellent. My partner should know, he designs them!
Best wishes
Madeleine
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi M.
Not so much jellyfish but little buggers that are so small you can't see them. According to the locals they are called sea ants. They seem to be seasonal I had no problems on the last visit but two years ago I was nipped loads of time, it was a very intense sting but faded very quickly with no lasting after effects or marks.

The only seem to be on the surface as I was never stung while diving.

If your worried about jelly fish there is an anti jell sting sun cream from Safe sea

Regards
Kevin
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

There were numbers of jelly fish at Mt Irvin beach around two weeks ago.

I haven't a clue which species they were (about the size of a snooker/ pool ball, purple, with obvious stinging 'tenticles' of half a metre in length).
They had a small air sac along the top edge of the body, so I imagine that these would be found at the surface. I would think that a wet suit would offer a good degree of protection for scuba divers.

A local guy was collecting them in a bag in order to remove them from the beach. He was certain that they would still sting if trodden on or touched. There were none in the water, but it was obvious that they had drifted onto the beach at high tide the previous night.

Given that jellyfish are at the mercy of tides and wind it's best to be aware of these influencing factors if you're looking to avoid them (and who isn't).

Cheers
Steve
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Just returned.

Mount Irvine was clear of jellyfish while we were there.

Canoe Bay had quite a few small clear ones, with brown specks in. They did not sting, they did not appear to have tentacles. The guy at the bar said they were migrating through.

Have had mild stings from jellyfish at Store Bay last year. They were small with a reddish colour and had tentacles.
T Heie

Post by T Heie »

Did some scuba diving off Store Bay and also the Mt. Irvine Extension two weeks ago. Not one jellyfish sighting.

Return to “Health & Security”