bilharzia, swimming in fresh water

Your questions on medical and security issues
Lily Mel

bilharzia, swimming in fresh water

Post by Lily Mel »

I love the waterfalls, and for sure want to take a dip. :)
Is it safe to swim in open water.
So is there not the so called bilharzia/ Schistosomiasis?

lily
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Lily

You could catch bilharzia or Schistosomiasis in any country in the world. I have no knowledge that you would be at higher risk in Tobago than in ANY other tropical country. With respect, you could probably find thousands of other diseases that you could potentially catch, but the risks are probably a lot less than being involved in a serous motor accident on your wait to Schipol (or any other) airport.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lily Mel

Post by Lily Mel »

Sorry for asking this question. :?
The relevance of my question is in my opinion correct.
I didn't ask if it's possible to catch a flue.

So, you will swim everywhere?

lily
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Yes, my problem is keeping Jill OUT of the water - whether in the sea or in rivers at waterfalls, etc.
Steve Wooler
Lily Mel

Post by Lily Mel »

ok, Thank you. I will take a dip with pleasure. :D

Lily
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

Lily,
Several years ago I went to Maui in the Hawaiian islands and cavorted in a natural stone pool fed by a small waterfall. Later, I learned that some people had contracted this condition at that very pool. I did not. I did some quick Google searching but was not able easily to find out what your risk is. I'd probably still go in that pool, but then I'm probably willing to take more chances as I get older. :D
Lily Mel

Post by Lily Mel »

:lol: Cornelia

tnx, yes, that's true, I'have still no wrinkles :lol:

lily
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

uncle bil

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Hello everyone. Bilharzia is indeed common in many parts of the tropics but not patricularly so in Tobago. It is supposed to exist in all the west indian isles though, and the variant You will get if You are very unfortunate will be Schistosoma mansonii. It is easily cured, though. The cercariae that spread the disease do not like running water so I myself do not hesitate to jump in any stream that beckons. I would not bathe in the freshwater dam, though, but I believe it is both not allowed for sanitary reasons (they drink it) and because of a certain amount of alligators. Correct me, Steve W if I am wrong...
Am looking forward to go down to the emerald isle on december 2. Will You be there then, Steve?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Dr Stefan :lol:

Thanks for that reassurance. Yes, as you say, the cayman in the Hillsborough Dam (even if they did let you in, which they won't) would be a considerably higher risk than any water-borne disease.

No, I'm afraid I won't be there then Stefan. I haven't finalised details yet, but hope it will be six weeks from around late January to mid-March. Its all a bit of a sore point at the moment. Our Golden Retriever, Topza, normally goes and stays with a dog-trainer friend, but she can't have her this year. I just can't put her in a kennel, but equally can't bring her to Tobago. No matter how well-behaved and house-trained, not everyone can, or wants, to look after a fairly large dog for 6 weeks, so its a bit of a problem I'm afraid. Until I sort it, I can't book anything.
Steve Wooler
Sandra Daniel
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Sandra Daniel »

Hi Steve

We could always look after your dog for you, she would be great company for our labrador called Chloe.

Sandra
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Sandra

What a lovely offer - not that I was hinting or anything (what a liar he is!). Perhaps you would be good enough to contact me ([email protected]).

Cheers!
Steve Wooler

Return to “Health & Security”