Mosquitos and other nasties in March

Your questions on medical and security issues
Romana

Mosquitos and other nasties in March

Post by Romana »

Have been reading about the bug problem and was wondering if this is something to be concerned about year round or during certain times. Visiting in March and was wondering how much bug spray I should bring, if any.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Romana

Bugs are at the worst during the wet season, so March is normally a good time. However, different people react in differenct ways. We are leaving shortly for two months on the island. Jill, my wife, suffers badly from bites. We are taking one can of deterrent, simply to get us going. The local products seem to work better, are freely available and cheaper.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Romana

Post by Romana »

I'm afraid that I am like your wife; moisquitoes love me and my bites get so inflammed. I'll make sure and pack at least one can. Thank you for your help.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Make sure you take plenty of bite cream to put on your bites, I was bitten when i went last Sept but using the bite cream made it all a bit more bearable.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi everybody,well I wasn't going to write this until I returned to UK.I thought I would use myself as a guinea pig and test the various repellants and soothers.Some I found to be terrible,for instant a clear Boots preparation was like nitromors-it even melted the rubber straps on flip flops!
I found the best repellant with 100% success was a home made repellant given to me by the Oldmadhousians viz 10 dops of citronella to 20 ml of almond oil(or any other carrier oil)just rub it over exposed skin,and in the event you did get bitten,just a cheap mild anti-histamine cream.
Be careful with the citronella oil and NEVER use it neat!
David in sunny Castara
:D 8)
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Romana,

As one who is regarded as lunch by any mozzies, sandflies etc. I agree with Steve and recommend "Off" - available widely on the island. It smells awful on first application - but it worked for me!

Jane
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Well,

its good to see that I'm not the only one getting eaten alive :wink: . What helps me all the time ist anti hostamin tabletts (I breing them from Germany) a mosquito net and some mixed lemon oil like David mentioned. And of course, as Jane says, "Off" is keeping your room clean.

Another thing are sandflies. Not everyone is bitten by them but to keep them away you just don't lay on the sand. Most places rent benches what helps a lot.

Anyway, enjoy your holidays and don't let the biting insects spoil it.

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Jean Sampson

mosquito repellant

Post by Jean Sampson »

David's concotion sounds worth trying.
I will be going out in March so would like to know where you get this concotion from in Tobago David? At the end of my stay last year I was given citronella oil and I found citronella oil neat seemed to work for sandflies, which incidentally were at their worse in the grass near a hotel in Speyside, but oddly not in the sand. Perhaps I was lucky but I did not get a reaction to the neat oil, however I would like to try this mixture, where did you get the almond oil? Info appreciated.
Sioned And Tim Sims

Post by Sioned And Tim Sims »

Hi Jean,

Citroella oil seems to be the only thing that works for me, any carrier oil will do, you can buy it from any chemist that sells essential oil in the U.K.
These oils can be very greasy, so I put the citronella into after sun lotion, and it works very well without feeling like an oil slick.

Regards
Sioned
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Any "health"food(I hate oxymorons!)shop should have the oils.All you need is a massage base oil to mix the citronella with.Baby oil will even do.
Jean,I think the citronella oil you used was probably already adulterated,because neat,pure citronella is hotter than deep heat!! :twisted: :wink:
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

mossie bites

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Hi, some people with very severe reactions MIGHT be helped with the addition of a leukotriene antagonist (Singulair) in addition to a good antihistamine. My favourite with my patients is Aerius. It is desloratadine, the stereoisomer of loratadine (Clarityn). Clarityn is basically a molecule and its mirror image bound together where only half is active and the other "weighs it down". Aerius contains only the active molecule. If You tolerate Clarityn, You tolerate Aerius. And if that isn´t enough, do ask Your friendly GP if You may try a leukotriene antagonist. They seem to be ALMOST without side effects. Sorry, but in the world of medicine no guarantees may be given because tomorrow is another day...
Best of luck
Stefan R, MD
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Romana

Thought you may like to try the following string in this forum.

http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopi ... 65&start=0

Hope this helps

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Romana

Post by Romana »

Thanks for the information. . . I ran out and stocked up on the anti-histimines and bought a product that I use here in the States. Repel Sportmans Max Formulas. Mosquitos love me and this product works great for me here on hikes, especially during the wet spring weather. It contains only 40% Deet and I noticed that everyone suggested at least 50%. I'm hoping this does the trick, if not, I do know what products to look for on the island. Thanks again! :D
Wendy G

Post by Wendy G »

Hi,you know the 2 pin plugs for Tobago,are they flat pins or round pins,because i was looking for a plug in Mosquito repellent,and the only ones i've seen are the 2 round pins type! :-k
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Wendy G,flat pins and you can by plug in repellants and refills cheaper here than UK!
David 8) :D
Wendy G

Post by Wendy G »

Thank you David! :wink:
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

We're going to Tobago in June and are concerned about mosquitos as they seem to be particularly keen on my partner. We haven't decided where to stay yet - does anyone know if some places are worse than others? We like the sound of Castara but having already found out on this forum that it could be worse for sandflies, is it also bad for mosquitos?
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

where ever you have sand you will have sandflies, especially at the time of sunset, when it gets cooler... so if you want to avoid them you have to look for a house in bush. but be warned...they have mossies.. :lol:
citronella and a fan should do the trick for the mossies and standing in the water (or sitting on a beachchair in the water) with a rumpunch watching the sunset will do, or relaxing on a balcony far away from the sand...
where ever
ENJOY!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com

Return to “Health & Security”