Chinese, curry & roti

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Gary F

Chinese, curry & roti

Post by Gary F »

Can anyone recommend good Chinese and a UK-style curry house?

We're looking forward to trying local food - rotis sound wonderful for a lunch (any top recommendations for them too?) - but it would be nice to have a fall back!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gary

The local saying is "if you want a good Chinese restaurant, go to Trinidad". The only 'good' Chinese, the Red Crab, closed sadly and was replaced by the Flaming Dragon. Different management. Different menu and prices. Different food hygeine standards allegedly. All other Chinese restaurants are poor by British standards.

There are only two Indian restaurants, again both poor by British standards. Mumtaz in Crown Point is apparently indifferent, although I've never tried it myself. The other is Caribbean Choula above the Melange restaurant on the Shirvan Road. Have heard absolutely no reports about this. If its anything like Melange, it will try too hard, be rather pretentious and over-priced.

The stalls at Store Bay are a very good choice for roti at lunchtime. Try Miss Esmie's and Miss Jean's (either end of the terrace of food stalls) are reckoned to be the best.

See our Restaurants listings for full details of all restaurants.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Gary F

Chinese. curry & roti

Post by Gary F »

Looks like we're going to get acquainted with rotis!

Once again many thanks for your advice.
Mary Black
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

roti's!!!

Post by Mary Black »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
the WATERFRONT at mount irvine-a locally run bar -sometimes hasgreat goat/chicken roti's at lunchtime-and i can highly recomend Earls rum punch and the view- they also do sunday bbq's and really good local food-the caribs cold and cheap and its great for really chilling out and getting into tobago rhythm.
you can also book to have a meal upstairs-local food served by lovely local people-helps to keep the island for them steering away from big all inc. hotels.
having visited the island 9 times always staying in private villas i will always recommend small local bars and restaurants i really feel people staying in hotels miss the true essance of tobago
Henry Prempeh

Local food

Post by Henry Prempeh »

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where to get good 'oil-down' in Tobago?

We arrive on July 30 \:D/ and I can't wait to try some of this coconut milk dish.

Henry
C Phillips

Roti :)

Post by C Phillips »

For some roti, try Lal's Roti Shop. It's in Dutch Fort, Scarborough. If you like to play pool, they have a pool table there also. I eat there all the time when I go down to visit my dad. There are some others in Scarborough that my dad takes me to but my mind is foggy right now.
Carla C

Lal's

Post by Carla C »

I SECOND Lal's! :D I also eat there when i visit Tobago. I am originally from Central Trinidad and was pretty much raised on roti, curry, doubles ect. I believe I have eaten enough East Indian food to be able to say that Lal's is very, VERY good! =D> The "roti skins" have always been soft, curry piping hot and very flavourful! Very flavourful!!! Every time I've visited , the place has always been clean- and I have never (not even once!) gotten sick after having eaten roti at Lal's.

There was a hole-in-the-wall place obliquely opposite KFC in Scarborough, though... :? :-# :( . Roaches.... need I say more?

I'd like to take this opportunity to warn the roti newbies :-

NEVER buy a roti in the morning, set it down, and warm it up in the evening and then eat it. (unless you PLAN on staying in the bathroom for 2 days of your vacation)

NEVER! eat curry and consume any food or beverage that is milk based at the same time. 2b safe, not even on the same day! (again... bathroom? 2days?)
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Carla,i have to agree about Lal's,i've had Roti from there and as you say, it was fab! I was also advised to only eat Roti at lunchtime otherwise you could find that it has been sat around for a while and wont be very good for the digestive system.Lal's comes highly recommended though and i'm looking forward to my next visit. :D
CliveL

Chinese

Post by CliveL »

We went to a Chinese at the upper end of Scarborough - the East Ocean. Certainly nothing to look at , and very basic inside. Our first visit was good for all three of us - excellent quality food cooked fresh in full view. Even better was teh cost - under TT$100 for the food and drink.

However, the second time we went wasn't as good. My wife and daughter still appreciated their meals, but my "Special" tasted bland, and the vegetables were overcooked and too much salt had been added overall. I ended up having to leave it. It must be down to the chef on duty - but at teh rpices, I'd recommen it to anyone wanting a quick meal.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Another vote for Lal's from us.

We especially like the veggy versions, buy a couple (one each that is), head up to the old fort and sit on one of the benches up there looking over Scarborough bay.

My mouth waters as I think of it.

Manfred.
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

i get very good takeaways from mumtaz. cant really recommend dining in though, quite basic decor,furniture etc and never very busy so no ambience.

paul

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”