Please help a Yank with some info

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Please help a Yank with some info

Post by Bill B »

I just read a book that had some of the action taking place in England. At a pub in a small country town they refer to two seperate rooms; the public bar and the saloon bar. What are they and why would there be two seperate bar areas in an English pub? I'm taking a real flyer here that some of the regular posters just 'might' be familar with drinking establishments :lol:

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Bill,

When I was very small, I remember going to a pub and being told that I couldn't go into one of the bars as it was 'grown ups' only... the other being a more family-oriented atmosphere. I think that was the general thing back then, although in all honesty I can't remember which way round it was!. I'm probably completely wrong (mostly due to spending too much time in pubs AS a grown up (well, over the age of 18 anyway... I'd probably be sued for libel for saying I'm a grown-up! :D ) .

I'd be interested myself to find out the answer!!

Best regards,
Lisa.
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Lisa,

Age is a physical fact. Old is a state of mind.

I don't plan on ever getting old \:D/

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Bill,

Good philosophy! I think I may adopt that one!!

Lisa.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Bill

It's a pity that our resident booze expert is currently sunning his unworthy bottom in Tobago, or I'm sure you would have had a full explanation by now. I am no expert and have never been a "pub" person, but here goes...

Although its becoming less common nowadays, British pubs would invariably have two or three bars. The most common were the "Public" bar, for the working classes, and the "Saloon" bar for the gentry. Many pubs would also have a third small bar - a Snug Bar - for ladies, the elderly or for private groups. The basic mix still exists today. The Public bar is still very much for serious drinking, playing darts and dominos, etc. while the Saloon Bar will be a little more "up-market", quiet and serve food, etc.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Bill,

As a general rule, in an old fashioned British pub the saloon bar is the "posh" one (somewhere that one might take a lady as she would not be offended by coarse behaviour of other patrons!) often typified by carpet and fancy curtains (generally not matching!), whereas the public bar is much more basic - in both decor and ambience (the "mens" bar - although discrimination law prevents it being labelled as "men only" these days!). A public bar is sometimes referred to as a "spit and sawdust" bar - get the picture? Generally an establishment with bars designated like this will not serve food (other than maybe snacks).

These days there are considerably fewer pubs with this distinction between the drinking areas. Many pubs have been opened up into one large bar; food is frequently served in pubs nowadays (often absolutely excellent like "The Chequers" in Churchill, my village) and family areas are also common.

Any more questions on British pubs - just ask!

Jane
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Bill,as previously answered,the public bar was mainly formen(and "loose"ladies)the saloon for the gentry and the snug for grannies.A "lady" would never go into a public house,if she went for a drink-always in male company it would be to an hotel lounge.Another room that was aften found in pubs and hotels was the Smoking Room.
David,limin'n'laxin in da sun :D 8)
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Thanks one and all.

Here in the States bars range from those you wouldn't want to be caught dead in to high end cocktail lounges, but few if any offer various rooms catering to different levels. I suppose that goes back to England being a very class conscious society at one time and the U.S. being an egalitarian or classless society (or in the eyes of some as having no class at all :lol: ).

Bill

P.S. Steve, we desperately need a drinking emoticon to adorn our posts. I have no doubt it would become the most frequently used.
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

%*} %*} %*} %*}

No sooner said than done, Sir!

Without getting into delicate areas, pubs apply their 'segregation' in exactly the same way that they do in the States and elsewhere - by price. You pay a bit more and you get nicer surroundings and (hopefully) a 'nicer' set of drinking companions. The only difference is that we apply labels to the process and everyone knows where they stand.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Wow, what service !

If only I could get service like that here. One of the computers in my shop went belly up and I've been trying for two days to get the fellow who does my IT work out to take a look at it. Do you make house calls :?: Oh well, if he doesn't show up who cares %*}

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
Tony Gibson

I T

Post by Tony Gibson »

Bill, I work for a large multinational defence company, I pray for IT service like Steve, we have 6 printers, only one working because we are waiting for IT to fix the rest (4 weeks now ) sorry Steve for getting off the string I am just trying to give an example of how great the site is, please keep it up, it keeps me entertained and dreeming every lunch break.
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Tony,

As long as your internet connection stays up and you can get on this site who cares if IT let's the rest of it go to hell :lol: In fact the more the rest of the system is down the more time you have to surf 8)

Bill
Tony Gibson

Surfing the site

Post by Tony Gibson »

Bill, we are not going to Tobago until April, although our extremes of weather are not as bad as yours, the 4-5 months of gloom are killing me.
We are only going for a fortnight; I could do with a month at least.
PS, Where I live we still have public bars where woman do not go, however that is because woman know their station in life, chained to the kitchen sink!
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Wow, Tony :shock:

I hope you're not hoping for me to throw you a life preserver. I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you sink or swim on your own. :roll:

Good luck,

Bill
Tony Gibson

Post by Tony Gibson »

just kidding about the kitchen sink.
Hope you enjoy Tobago
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Eh Tony, bonny lad!

Ah hope ye are just jokin' aboot that kitchen sink mind, pet!

Ah'd not laike te think ye maight be serioos!

Ha'way the lads!

Jane (with fond memories of the North-east!)

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”