Fruits & Vegetables in Season Feb. & March?

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Patty Hess

Fruits & Vegetables in Season Feb. & March?

Post by Patty Hess »

Hi,

We’ll be staying in Castara for two weeks at the end of Feb/early March and I was wondering what fruits and vegetables will be in season while we’re there. For instance will we be able to get avocados, mangos, pineapple, coconuts? (Do coconuts have a season?)

Patty
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Patty--

You can get pineapples (so juicy that you stand over the sink to eat!), tomatoes, great bananas. No mangos. those are in the summer. Don't be put off by the tomatoes -- they stay greenish/pink in the middle. It's the Caribbean variety, but they taste fabulous. I can't remember what else. We bought from the fruit stand in the village. He restocks on Saturdays. This year, we will stop at the fruit & veggie stand by the Penny Savers near the airport & stock up, so I'm sure there's more variety. Sadly enough, there's very little fresh fruit juice to be had. Most places offer you bottled juices. We were quite disappointed!!

Where are you staying in Castara? We will be there for 9 days starting Feb. 22 & are staying at the Naturalist Beach. We're from Ohio. You can email me. Just check my Profile.

Joanne Green
Patty Hess

Post by Patty Hess »

Hi Joanne,

I would like to e-mail you but when I clicked your profile no e-mail was visible and the contact link isn’t active. Do we need to contact Steve for each other’s e-mails?

We’re staying at the Beach House and arrive on the 23rd and stay until March 10th. I’m sure we’ll run into each other. This is our first trip to Tobago and I can’t wait!

Patty
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Joanne

By default, when you register your user account, email addresses are not made public. If you go into your profile and set the option "Always show my e-mail address" to Yes, your address will show in your Profile and an Email button will appear beneath all your posts, allowing others to contact you.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Patty Hess

Post by Patty Hess »

Thanks Steve!

Joanne, I updated my profile so you can see my e-mail. Send me an e-mail so I have yours - I have a few questions for you. Thanks!

Patty
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Hi Patti,
We're staying in the Palm Corner appartment at the Beach House. We arrive on the 22nd Feb for two weeks. See you soon!
Gill
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Ooops, soory. Spelt your name wrongly. We're counting the days now. We stayed there last April and fell in love with Castara and the Beach House.

Gill
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

you can always have mangos, you just have to find a tree that bears. we have one right beside our house (no, we did not make it to the beach yet, so i'm talking family house up the road) that throws mangos on us like crazy. we share tham with the cockricoos in the tree and the cows, chicken and huge ants on the ground, but we still get our share :wink:

there are many different types of bananas on the island, try as many as you can.

ralph (the veggie-shop-owner in castara) tries to get a nice variety of fruit and veg these days. even tries to always have lettice for the cooking tourists (a nice steam fish with lettice and tomato by the side...yummy).

you can always have cocnut-water and the the jelly that is inside or get dry coconut to eat the white crunchy meat or grind it for cooking. also yummy.

try the melons...so sweet....

ok, have to go to the shop now and get some fruit. worked up an appetite :wink:

enjoy
STEPH
Patty Hess

Post by Patty Hess »

Hi Gill,
We’re staying in Coconut Heights until Mar. 10th. Looking forward to meeting you and we’ll try not to make too much noise above your head while we’re there!

Hi Steph,
Thanks for the veggy info. We will be driving ourselves to Castara from the airport. Can you recommend a fruit & vegetable stand along the way – or even a bit out of the way? We will probably take our time and wander around a bit and do some stocking up.

Thanks! Patty
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Steph--

We'll be in Castara in Feb. Can we come & pick a mango? We had winter mangos on Dominica last year & they were delicious!!

Joanne Green
Patty Hess

Post by Patty Hess »

Hi Joanne,
Did you get my e-mail? If not, check your spam folder. Maybe it was blocked.
Patty
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

best choice for fruits is usually in the market in scarborough, not soo much out of the way, but maybe not open when you arrive.
there are some shope on the way from the airport. just stop at any of them, they don't have tourist-prices beacuse they are in that area. the locals shop in the same places.
since you seem to have a rental car you should not miss out on the market anyway, best on friday or saturday when the fresh stuff arrived...

I doubt that the cows and bird leave any mangos until february (in our tree). but when you drive arround and you see mangos falling on the street it is usually no problem to stop and pick them up, just make sure the skin is not damaged.

good appetite
see you all in little bay
STEPH

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”