Back Bay

Your questions on medical and security issues
Steve Andrews

Back Bay

Post by Steve Andrews »

On perusing various websites there is a great deal of consistency about warning people not to go to Back Bay unless in a group. The beach looks fabulous so was wondering how serious these warnings are if my girlfriend and I were to go there by ourselves
Thanks
Mariann G.

Post by Mariann G. »

Hi Steve,

I have been to Back Bay about 4 times and nothing happened with me despite the fact that we were 3 of us.

BUT: I can tell you, though, that it is a bit scary, mainly because there is a narrow and very steep path leading down there so escape would be very hard. And there are no people around to hear your cries for help.

I have been warned by the lifeguards on neighbouring Mt. Irvine and I think that it is to be taken seriously. So if you are new to Tobago and you only want to go with your girlfriend, try to take some precautions like don't go when the tide is high and do not take any valuables with you. Or just try to hook up with other people and go in a larger group.

Have fun,

Mariann
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Steve,

I fished Back Bay several times in April last year with my wife and son without incident but did feel that it was somewhat isolated - part of the attraction of course. Where on the web did you pick up the warnings about it?

Regards

Barry
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

I think that this reputation has stemmed from The Rough Guide to T&T.

On page 244 of my well-worn 1998 edition is says
''Back Bay manages an uncanny remoteness, despite its central location.........however this remoteness demands caution as rumours of robberies are rife''

I have been to Back Bay many times and the only other people I have ever seen there are local guys fishing on the rocks or courting couples or tourists looking for privacy :wink:

If you prefer crowds or would feel uncomfortable on your own, then I would suggest you avoid the bay. The same would apply if you don't relish a scamble down to the beach.

There is a brief description on myTobago here
http://www.mytobago.info/beaches02.php

or a stunning arial photo (courtesy of Mr Wooler) of the whole bay, its relationship to Mt Irvin (to the extreme right of shot), the coast road and the track here http://www.mytobago.info/photos/aerial/IMG_4580.htm

I cannot recommend it for fishing however - rarely caught a thing apart from small grouper and snapper. One day I'll hook a monster jack though - I just know it!

Cheers
Steve
Steve Andrews

Post by Steve Andrews »

Yes I have seen variances from this narrative from the mytobago site that Steve refers to
"Back Bay
A small, quiet secluded beach with good bodysurfing waves. Access to the beach involves a bit of a scramble down the cliffs. It is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful beaches on Tobago, but due to the isolated nature of the beach, its best to go in a group"

To explain further I am a photographer and my girlfriend is a model so whilst the quietness and the aesthetic beauty of the beach have appeal we do not wish to be on edge whilst doing a shoot
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Steve

If it's a venue for a photo shoot you're looking for then Back Bay is heaven sent !!!!!
It does feel isolated - like you are the only people on Tobago, but that really is part of the attraction.

I cannot write you out a guarantee, but I would have no worries about going there early in the morning, say between 06:30 and 09:00. I have NEVER seen anyone else there at that time of the day. Come to that, I have no worries about Back Bay anyway. I think that if there are any would-be thieves around, they are more likely to be in the more populated areas, looking for an easy lift, rather than hiking to Back Bay, just on the off chance that someone will be there.

If you still have concerns, why not call in to see Rodney at Iguana Villa (It's the small white building on the promentory between Back Bay and Stone Haven bay http://www.mytobago.info/photos/aerial/IMG_4580.htm
- turn back down the track opposite Pizza Boys in Pleasant Prospect). Have a chat with him and he'll show you his secret path down to the Northern end of the beach.

It is a beautiful spot, spoiled by its notoriety - which I think is over-hyped (which I don't mind, 'cause it means hordes of tourists steer clear)

Having said all that, there are other areas / beaches that are also photogenic, but that's not to say that you'll be 100% safe from an opportunistic scallywag who takes a fancy to an unattended camera - I speak from experience.

I would avoid Buccoo beach - now that is a dodgey venue.

Cheers
Steve

PS - To view a crowd at Back Bay visit - http://static.flickr.com/53/106212528_f38e48cef4_o.jpg

Return to “Health & Security”