Hurricane ?

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks Roger.

It is a relief to hear that evacuations are in progress. Flora in 1963 was only Category 2 ... that was bad enough.

No further updates from NOAA at this stage and all the news (even for the Caribbean) is well out of date and still predicting a hit on Barbados !!
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Tony J
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Tony J »

What a shock to have this happen?

I have been watching Ivan for days and felt this was going to head towards the island of Tobago. I have a property down there, luckily undergoing renovation..all we can do is wait and see how everyone is after the storm goes through.

I spoke to some friends of mine in Tobago yesterday and they all seemed relaxed and ready to accept what was coming, after all you cannot change the weather. I am pleased that they have now announced evacuation of homes etc. Luckily the storm seems to be moving fairly quickly so lets keep our fingers crossed for everyone.

I pass on my thoughts and best wishes to all residents in the islands and especially the islanders of Tobago.

If anyone receives any news can they post it on the site for us?

Sara
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

There is nothing yet new from the NOAA apart from intensification of the hurricane ... category 4 within 12 hours apparently.

But I was pleased to get a reply from Ancle at the Naturalist in Castara who says that the electricity has been off and on ... they have been up most of the night preparing ... they are now taking this seriously.

I have suggested he finds shelter because I believe that Castara village will be washed out by the storm surge.

This is now very worrying.
Paul Tallet
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Hope everyone stays safe.

We have property in Lowlands.

Going out on the 16th, fingers crossed that the roof is still on. :(
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

At 6am this morning (Tuesday), the centre of Hurricane Ivan was located just 185 miles due west of Tobago and heading towards the island at about 21mph. So as I write, it should be within 120 miles of the Atlantic coast. The hurricane force winds extend outwards from the centre for up to 70 miles and tropical storm force winds for up to 160 miles, so Tobago will now be feeling the effects of the beast.

Not having suffered a hurricane for 41 years, the authorities seem to have been slow to react. In truth, most of the regional hurricanes start in the Atlantic and move across the Caribbean in a generally north-westerly direction, so Tobago is used to seeing them start and pass well to the north. It was just unfortunate that Ivan decided to track differently to others.

I can confirm that the island is now on high alert. All schools have been closed. The ferry service likewise. All flights to the island have been cancelled for the moment. Penny Savers in Canaan have boarded up their windows and many others are doing the same. My last contact with anyone on the island was 03:45 hrs local time, so a lot could have changed since then. However, that contact said that the Tobago Hare Krishna crowd had come over to their neighbour's to do a few prayers and songs, so they were all feeling a little more confident.

Our fingers are crossed for you, Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

The last I heard from anyone in Tobago was at 0615 GMT this morning although I was told the power supplies were on and off.

I have not had any replies since so I assume that everyone has 'run to the hills'.

Has anyone had any contact from Tobago in the last few hours ?

I am really worried as this is a particularly vicious hurricane verging on category 4 and the damned thing is slowing down.

The satellite loop shows Tobago to be well under the shroud of the hurricane so I think the real business is starting now.
Paul Tallet
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

I have e.mailed friends but have received no replies. :(
Will try and phone tonight.
Wonder if the phone lines are open?

Your information is much appreciated Paul.
If I find out anything I will post.

Good luck to everyone.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks Terence

I have just seen a hurricane warning issued for Trinidad.

I just wish there could be something positive to say.

I am now keeping a constant vigil on my PC.
Paul Tallet
Mark Muncaster

Post by Mark Muncaster »

This is bad news. I hope all are safe.
We were supposed to fly out on Thursday morning from Gatwick. We will have to wait and see. :?

Some one up stairs does not want me to go on Holiday. Monday £30000 of equipment is stolen from my work shop. I had a blow out on the motorway this morning and the only Hurrican to Hit Tobago in 40+ years goes in when I want to go :(

Well at least I am safe unlike the unlucky ones over there.
God Bless them all.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

hope thursday everything is forgotten already!
we are all still here, even have phone line and current at this time....
experience rain and high waves (luckily just from the window) and waiting for the big thing to come....
cell lines are mostly down, but the rest is working at this time.
keep all your fingers crossed for us (and toes if possible)
read you later

steph&ali

ps: you know murphys law, mark, do you... hope you are able to get your holiday to relax from the rest of your mess....
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Mark Muncaster

Post by Mark Muncaster »

I got more than my finger and toes crossed for you. :oops:
Keep your chin up.
All the best we are all thicking of you :wink:
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Great to hear from you Steph/Ali.

I have everything crossed for you and everyone in Castara.
Paul Tallet
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Hurricane

Post by Paul Williams »

I have not yet had the privelige to visit Tobago but as some of you know I am planning my first visit to Castara in October with my wife.
I have found only positive things with regard to my booking both with the people on the island and also those in on the forum who have helped.
The only thing that matters to us now is that all of the people on the island get through the next 24 hours.
Our thoughts are with them.
Arianne

Post by Arianne »

Brian, Steph and everybody else in Tobago,

we will keep our finger, toes, arms and legs crossed for you.
Hang in there and hope to hear some news soon!!!!!
K. Boone

hurricane

Post by K. Boone »

There is a detailed, onsite discussion of Ivan (including someone located in Charlotteville) at this link: http://www.stormcarib.com/reports/2004/trinidad.shtml
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks K.Boone - a very useful link

I've lost all contact with Tobago. In fairness, everyone must be far too busy to be answering emails. Having said that, as I write there is an unregistered user located somewhere near Scarborough in Tobago browsing the Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities forum. How calm and collected can you get!

The NOAA issued a regional image of Ivan at 1245GMT - so just 2½ hours ago. This showed the epicentre of the hurrican just 70mls east-northeast of Tobago, so Charlotteville and the northern end of the island must now be feeling the full brunt of the hurricane, with the rest of the island suffering only slightly less. Needless to say, the power and telephone systems are bound to fail.

Oh, that Tobago surfer has gone off line. Hopefully they may just have finished surfing, but realistically I imagine the power's gone. It could be some days before we manage to make contact with anyone. I don't want to try ringing people - they've got far too much to worry about - but if anyone does manage to make any contact or have any news of any nature, please, please post it here.

God be with you, Tobago!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
K. Boone

Post by K. Boone »

Just got this email message about 10:15 AST from Glyn Kirpalani in
Carnbee:

"Nothing much has happened so far so we are praying that latest
reports of a sudden last minute shift north are true."
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Received from a friend, located in Carnbee at 15.01 GMT.

"Some meteorologist just came on telly to say it has veered north at the last minute - we hope it is true and if so it means just high winds. Mind you, he did not seem too sure!

It is now one hour after the predicted start of the terrible winds and they have not yet come - just strange humidity an high pressure combined with off gusts and rain. Let's hope he was right."

Fingers crossed.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi K Boone

It may be calm at the moment ... if you take a close look at the latest satellite you can see that Tobago is in a break in the circulation of the storm.

We also need to appreciate that some quadrants of the storms may be calm and that other quadrants have high winds, this is typical of developing hurricanes ... hence their unpredictability.

Tobago is right on the edge of the hurricane force winds as Steve has pointed out and has so far escaped Storm force winds.

The hurricane is just about to hit ... it has not turned North.
Paul Tallet
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

There is a good satellite photo on this site, scroll down a little bit, its after the map. Its not too slow on dial up.

[Editor: broken link removed]

Its on page 10 of the thread.

Return to “Weather”