Water Temperature + bugs

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Liz W

Water Temperature + bugs

Post by Liz W »

Hi everybody!

We're finally off to Tobago in a couple of weeks - staying at BWI. Two questions :

1. Does anyone have an idea of what the water temperature will be? Apparently it will affect the "gear" our American friends will bring.

2. This isn't strictly weather related, and I know Tobago is a wonderful place, but even wonderful places sometimes have bugs! Any tried and tested suggestions as to how to prevent them eating you alive!

All suggestions welcome!

Liz W
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

The water temperature is about 30 degrees Centigrade ... you often get some warm currents when excited children are nearby where it rises to about 40 degrees Centigrade :shock:

Anyway, joking aside, the seawater is warmer than the rain when it falls and there is nothing quite like swimming in the rain with the cold needles on your back.

As for bugs ... I already have egg on my face regarding citronella etc and perhaps a better qualified member of the forum would be able to help you with medication.

I would say, however, that mossies have never seemed a problem although they would certainly have potential if you go wandering around inland in the rainforest.

Sandflies are the big problem on rainforest beaches, they bite everyone ... some people get nasty reactions to the bites and some people don't ... that's where the medication comes in.

If medication fails, I can certainly recommend a soothing tube of Lanacane which is available in UK Chemists and I saw it available in Tobago Chemists too.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Liz W

Water temperature + bugs

Post by Liz W »

Hi Paul

Many thanks for the prompt reply - I look forward to "swimming in the rain"!!

Will wait to see if any other "My Tobago" visitors have suggestions of miracle preventative measures/cures for bug bites. I've met sand flies before and they aren't nice! I'll definitely take the Lanacane.

Many thanks for all your great weather info!

Regards

Liz W
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

I've stayed at the BWI twice at about the same time of the year you are. During neither stay were we bugged by sandflies or mosquitoes at the hotel. There's always a seabreeze, which seems to keep the mossies at bay.

The water temp is just right at the beach. Not too warm and not too cool...
Liz W

Post by Liz W »

Great - let's hope the sea breeze doesn't fail!!

Water sounds just perfect.

Thanks

Liz W
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Quite true Cornelia.

Never come across the blighters at the BWI ... that place is paradise ... the snorkelling is superb.

Cheers
Paul Tallet
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Paul,

So you didn't go to "Brown Waters" about 3 weeks ago then? I must send you a photo!

Steve F. 8)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Erm ... it was OK in Feb 2004.

No foreign objects sighted in the water ... but, oh of course Steve ... you must be referring to the bad weather you experienced ... :wink:

Cheers
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”