Living in Tobago

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Christine Pedder

Living in Tobago

Post by Christine Pedder »

Hi, I'm new to this site, but would like any info, advice or experiences about living and working in Tobago...something I will be doing from Sept '06...especially around renting long term accomodation!

Thanks

Christine
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

As a weather forecaster?

Try the Miscellaneous link in this website ... it will lead you to the employment information your need.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Sharon E

Post by Sharon E »

I have been living in Tobago now for 16 months setting up a company. You must ensure before arriving that you have your work permit process started as you will only get 3 months out here before having to go to immigration to justify a longer stay. Work permits are very dependant upon what type of employment you wish to take up or company you want to start. For a work permit once granted you are required to pay $TT450 per month of your work permit up front. You also have to undergo a medical and pay a bond to immigration. It pays to employ a solicitor to do all this for your. Mine took just over 6 months to come throw luckily with no hiccups as a totally new idea and company, you must also state what employees you will employ if setting up your own company and experience you have, also they require a copy of all your qualifications, police report etc. It is very different if you have a job and are going to work for a company already out here, they will do the work and advertise your position to prove there is no one local that can fill your job, then they will apply for your work permit.

Immigration are cracking down very hard now on long term "visitors" and people that may be working illegally, in the last month I know four people that are now required to and have had to leave.

Long term accomodation is very difficult. Most villas will only let at a slightly reduced rental. Your best bet is to go for residential house or apartment it really does depend what you are looking for and where you want to be. These are far cheaper and easy to get long term. Best of luck and hope it works out for you.
Christine Pedder

Thanks Sharon.

I have been offered a job with the Regional Health Authority, based in Scarborough. I was hoping to stay in the Castara area. It all sounds very complicated!! The RGA do not offer any support with regard to accomodation, so it's all down to me and they haven't mentioned work permits or immigration, so I'd better chase that up.

Have a good Christmas

Kind regards

Christine
Christine Pedder

Complications of living in Tobago

Thanks Sharon.

I have been offered a job with the Regional Health Authority, based in Scarborough. I was hoping to stay in the Castara area. It all sounds very complicated!! The RGA do not offer any support with regard to accomodation, so it's all down to me and they haven't mentioned work permits or immigration, so I'd better chase that up.

Have a good Christmas

Kind regards

Christine

Return to “Weather”