flying trinidad - tobago & duty free shopping

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
ClareIsaac
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

flying trinidad - tobago & duty free shopping

Post by ClareIsaac »

Hi helpful people!
I get into POS from Gatwick at 17.10pm on Wed 2nd Jan. Should I buy my wine, vodka & cigarettes here or Tobago? If here, do I need to pack my stash in my suitcase before my onward flight?
How long should I give myself to get off the plane, do a quick duty free shop (if doing it here), repack my case (if necessary) & get through customs/whatever to board a flight to Tobago? 2 hours? Longer?

Likewise returning Tobago to Trinidad, to catch the 19.40pm flight from POS back to Gatwick.

Looking very forward to my month on the island. Any help very gratefully received, Clare
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: flying trinidad - tobago & duty free shopping

Post by Carol G »

Hi ClareIssac,
Have gotten mixed answers to the duty free question. Once I was asked by a curious custom official why I had not stopped at duty free. They were having a special sale and everyone else was stocking up for Carnival. I explained I was going on to Tobago and had been told unless I could re-pack it would not be allowed. I have a catch 22 situation....use plastic tie wraps to secure my suitcase locks; can only be cut with a knife or scissors; as we all know a carry on no-no. The official thought that was not true and suggested I should ask Caribbean Airline personnel when I checked my luggage. Their answer, up to the security people at the Tobago check in; they decide if duty free will be allowed in a carry on or in the duty free bag. Have decided not to test it out. I guess, if Caribbean Airlines would like people to shop at their duty free (as they advertise on our flight) they would work out a solution or plan for the international passengers going to Tobago. No sure on the 2 hour time; usually arrive on one of the first flights to POS, so there is not a back up at Immigration and Customs....perhaps someone else can comment on the time factor and their experience with duty free to Tobago.
Cheers, Carol
ClareIsaac
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by ClareIsaac »

thanks carol - appreciate that. I reckon i'll give it a go buying at Trinidad airport, as I've heard it's cheaper - & try getting through with duty free bags. I'll let people know how I get on.
How long should I allow between landing & departing at POS...anyone?
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

Hi Clare,

I travelled through POS last week and used the duty free - I was going on from Tobago to St Lucia and wanted to buy some wine as availability on St Lucia was so so.

Firstly regarding wine - there is a limited selection and it is much more expensive than you would expect to pay in a UK wine merchant - think about twice the price like for like.

Rum is going to be cheaper - as to other spirits - not being a spirit drinker - not sure - except my wife bought a litre of Absolute and I seem to remember it was about £10.

Once you've paid the duty free is sealed and you don't see it again until you are about to board the aircraft.

Also double check the allowances - flying to St Lucia the allowance appears to be just over 1 litre of wine for residents but was a bit ambiguous for foreigners - so you could risk having it confiscated! Never checked what Tobago allowances were.

There are 3 or 4 duty free shops selling alcohol at POS including one just before you go through final security by the departure gates so may be worth checking out the prices if you have time.

Prices generally in US but probably best deal if you pay in TT.

Hope this helps

Julian
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Julian,
I'm a little confused....let me see if I got this right. You shopped at the duty free, did the customs thing, collected your luggage and then checked in for the Caribbean Airline Tobago flight, went through security for the flight ...your duty free was delivered to the Tobago waiting area just as you got on the plane??? have never seen this happen. Would be wonderful!! Please advise for all of us hoping for the same thing to happen.
Cheers, Carol
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

Hi Carol,

Probably what is causing confusion is that I was outbound. I'd flown into POS from Tobago and had gone through outgoing customs (into the duty free area) and was on my way to St Lucia.

I would have thought once you've come through customs arriving at POS then the duty free won't be available to you as there shouldn't be any duty free between POS and Tobago being that they are the same country/tax area.

Julian
ClareIsaac
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by ClareIsaac »

Thanks Julian, for good up-to-date info.

I stillo haven't booked my Trinidad to Tobago (& return) flight. How long did you need between landing at POS & departing for St Lucia? I'm thinking an hour & a half...ish?
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

We booked a through ticket from Tobago to St Lucia (via POS) the only flights the Caribbean Airways booking system allowed involved a wait of 2 hours 15 minutes at POS. Outgoing security at POS involved a 10 minute queue, apart from that you need to allow time to collect baggage and go through immigration (or emigration depending on direction of travel!) and some time for flight delays.

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”