Change of visa rules from 15th January to 15th May 2007

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Johanna Y.
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Johanna Y. »

Maja,

The following sentence is from http://www.caricomimpacs.org/

Nationals of all countries require the CARICOM Special Visa to enter the Single Domestic Space during the period 1st February to 15th May 2007

...you are entering before February 1st so in my opinion you don't need it. But remember, you are talking to a Finnish blonde :wink: . I may be also wrong.

-J-
Maja M

Post by Maja M »

Thanks Johanna.

I felt insecure when reading the FAQ's on Caricoms site.

"5. I am not coming to see the games but for another purpose, do I need a CARICOM Special Visa?

Answer: Yes. If you are travelling to or in the region during the period 1st February and May 15th and are a national of one of the countries which requires a visa (Appendix 1), you will require a CARICOM Special Visa."

I'm guessing in could mean inside the area but I wasn't sure.
I'm still going to contact authorities in Sweden to be positive.

15 days to go.... 8)
Jarl Kure

Post by Jarl Kure »

The TT Consulate in Copenhagen has informed today that a Visa could be purchased in Tobago Airport for travel before February 10. However, arrival Mid February does not help our Scandinavian visitors but perhaps other readers may be able to use that information or get any written confirmation?

A similar request to the TT Consulate in Norway today did not reveal any information.

If anyone knows if these 10 days is going to be extended and it can be confirmed I would appreciate the information.

A friend of mine also contacted the Immigration Authorities in Trinidad. They claim that the estimated time for purchasing a Visa in the Barbados High Commission is about 1 week and not the 3 weeks mentioned in the CARICOM guidelines. However, no guarantees are issued!
Lina Mallon

Post by Lina Mallon »

Thanks for that information Jarl, that makes me feel a lot better!
Belqaid K

Post by Belqaid K »

Jarl Kure wrote:The TT Consulate in Copenhagen has informed today that a Visa could be purchased in Tobago Airport for travel before February 10.
This contradicts what mr wooler quoted earlier :?

Let´s hope that visas are needed for people who enter the caribbean after first of february
(2 weeks left!) \:D/
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Belqaid

The bottom line is that nobody knows what the hell is going on and don't expect that to change - this is the Caribbean, remember, and things don't happen with the efficiency we would expect anywhere else in the world. All I would say is relax and go - you will not be turned away. The airlines would be the first to warn you if passengers were not being accepted because they didn't have the right visa. It will all be sorted on arrival - I will put money on that. Knowing Tobago, the Immigration Officers won't hear about it until after the whole situation has ended anyway.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jarl Kure

Post by Jarl Kure »

Perhaps you're right, Steve Wooler. However, it is not much help to be denied access to the flights from a European airport at check in because of the uncertainty of the Visa requirement and purchase precedures. I wonder what Martinair and other flight operators are going to accept ?
Jarl Kure

Post by Jarl Kure »

Hi Lina and other early February arrivers.

Today, I got written confirmation from the TT Consulate in Copenhagen, quoting the Barbados Embassy in London that if you arrive between January 15th and February 10th, a Visa could be purchased in Tobago Airport.

However, I tried to verify that by the TT Immigration Authorities. They are claiming that no such special arrangements for arrival early February are in place and that a Visa from London is the only way to go.

Hence Lina, your better make your own judgement!
Lina Mallon

Post by Lina Mallon »

Thanks Jarl,

I have now been talking to EVERYBODY and I have to have the Visa before I go. It will take 7 working days and cost $100 plus the courier fees to and from London.
Kizzann L

CARICOM Visa

Post by Kizzann L »

The blond Finnish person is right, the site says the visa is only for Feb 1 to the 15 may, gives it a sort of mini Schengen feel since you can roam around the other islands. wish I was in Tobago right now though, Trinidad only has rain!!
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Johanna Y. wrote:...told me to contact High Commision of T&T in London which I did. There I found very specific information who will need a visa and how to get. And Finnish citizens don't need it. They also advised to get information from the following website http://www.immigration.gov.tt/.
This does not affect me (T&T/UK national) but out of curiosity I just had a good check on the T&T immigration website and cannot find any mention of the Caricom Special Visas. I did find it on Virgin Atlantic's website 'tucked away' in the Visa/travel documents section.

Under 'normal circumstances' it would appear that Finnish and many other EU nationals would not need a visa. However, we are not talking about 'normal circumstances'. :(
Johanna Y. wrote:In addition, those who already enjoy a form of status granted by any of the immigration authorities of the 10 countries, valid until May 15, will not require the Special Visa."

Could please "translate" what is the meaning of the last chapter?
I am not an immigration expert so please check with the relevant authorities. My best guess is that status applies to any other form of 'visa' condition eg. residency, work permit, student, missionary. If you look at this page on the T&T Immigration website, the word status is used there http://immigration.gov.tt/applicationlo ... les&id=700 If you already have such 'status', it makes sense that you would not have to apply for the special visa - you would have jumped through the hoops already once. :-#

As obviously seen by the various postings (and no doubt countless phone calls/emails) to find out what is going, there is a lot of confusion. I shared on a similar thread in one of the subforums that in my experiences of getting visas for myself and colleagues, explaining your situation (eg. flight leaves in 10 days time, just heard about this etc) and saying something along the lines of "Can you help me? Could you tell me what may be possible?" has worked wonders. Perhaps offering suggestions yourself eg.

- if I faxed/sent a pdf of a copy of my passport and the form, would it be possible, for the process to be started and then once my passport arrives, the visa is inserted?

I do not know if the above will/could work. But, I believe in this state of confusion, everything including asking if you could drop it off at the Barbados Embassy yourself (if you happen to be coming to London) is worth a try, just to narrow that 7 business days + courier time (48 hrs return?).
Paul Mallon

Post by Paul Mallon »

If you are applying for a Visa, dont get UPS to pick it up for you :(
Sabin

Courier

Post by Sabin »

It don't need to order a courier for the visa! I just enclosed 10 £ and they sendet back to me with post. I claimed because the courier are so expensive...
Lina Mallon

Post by Lina Mallon »

Yeah that would have worked fine if we didn't live in Ireland.
We are lucky if we get any post at all within a week of it being sent and we just didn't have the time to wait. We had so much problems with that visa it's redicolous but I have it now and I can't wait to go on Thursday!
Rebecca Thorpe

caricom visa

Post by Rebecca Thorpe »

hi guys. Just to let you know I am in london briefly for work and
popped into the barbados embassy in london to get a caricom
visa. I paid the fee online and they issued the visa in 2 working
days. The process was efficent and easy. If sending it in Id
recommend including an asap note asking politely for them to
speed it up!
Goodluck and enjoy your holidays
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Hang on! If you're a UK national and passport holder i didnt think you needed a visa? Can anyone verify this please?
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I beleive that is true,it does exempt UK,NI and any dependant countries,states.
We automatically qualify for three month visa although it is not a right and can be shortened or refused(crims,etc)
David
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: caricom visa

Post by Andy D »

Thought so,just wondered what Rebecca's post was all about. :?
Rebecca Thorpe wrote:hi guys. Just to let you know I am in london briefly for work and
popped into the barbados embassy in london to get a caricom
visa. I paid the fee online and they issued the visa in 2 working
days. The process was efficent and easy. If sending it in Id
recommend including an asap note asking politely for them to
speed it up!
Goodluck and enjoy your holidays
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Andy

Very confusing, I know. Threw me for a minute, but when I check back on Rebecca's posts I see that she is "on a New Zealand" passport but currently lives in Jordan. Don't quite know where the English flag/location springs from on her profile - but it does confuse the situation.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Ahh i see,thanks Steve. :D

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”