Guest Report

2-bedroom cottage at Castara (listing)
Kate Collier

Guest Report

Post by Kate Collier »

Before I start this review, I want to make it clear that I did not get chance to raise the issues I had about this accommodation with the owners, due to the circumstances I found myself in, which I will explain. Therefore, it has to be noted that they have not had chance to answer my criticisms. Me and my boyfriend arrived in Castara after a stay in Crown Point, planning to stay for the remaining three days of my holiday in Tobago. Unfortunately, due to family illness, we had to return to Crown Point just hours after our arrival. This is why we did not raise any concerns at the time, as frankly we had other things to worry about!

The major issue we had with this accommodation was that we were not provided with the accommodation that we were reasonably expecting. I booked little House on the Hill through e-mail, enquiring about the property to the owners through the enquiry facility on this website, contained within the accommodation listing. I also researched the property through the owners own website. Consequently, I believed that by enquiring through this channel, and asking for Little House on the Hill, that I was booking the accommodation described in the both the review and description on this website, and the information on the owners website, namely a spacious, airy, two-bed roomed house. This was backed up by the price given through e-mail: 50USD a night, the same as quoted on both websites for the whole house per night.

When we arrived, we were shocked to discover the main house was occupied already, and that we were given a small apartment attached to the side of the house, not mentioned, described, or shown in any pictures, on either this website or the owners own website. The apartment was tiny in comparison to the large house it was attached to, in my estimation no larger then 5m x 5m, including a veranda, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen in this space. To be honest, it was very small for an apartment by any standards. We had to leave, but I think that even if we hadn’t of had to, we would of anyway. There was no way that the owners could of thought that we wanted to book this extra space, as it is not mentioned anywhere!! Compared to the large house, it was simply inadequate. Due to its size, it was not very airy and in the short time we were there was quite uncomfortable and cramped. I cannot believe that they were charging us the same for this as for the large house it was attached to!!!! There was only one small bedroom- I did not state in any correspondence how many people I was travelling with, and we could have arrived with another couple as we legitimately believed that we would have two bedrooms.

Shortly after arriving in Castara we received news that meant we had to return to Crown Point quickly, which mean that when Marguerite arrived, we were too concerned with how we were to get back to complain. To be honest, I had just had two nasty shocks and just wanted to leave as soon as possible. Also, we had just arrived and new no-one, and needed to find a lift to crown point, and so to be frank didn’t want to cause any trouble as the only people we knew were the owners. On Marguerites arrival we explained about having to leave and offered to pay her one nights rent of 50USD for our stay, as we had left no deposit as we booked only weeks before arriving. In the circumstances, I thought that this was more than reasonable. We had only booked to stay for 3 nights, and that was in the already occupied house! However, she insisted that we pay her for our full intended stay, that is three nights rent at 50USD a night, in total 150USD, as this was the deposit she claimed to always ask for. She said this was because she could have rented the house to someone else. At the time, I admit to agreeing without argument, as I just wanted to leave, and had more important things to worry about. However, in retrospect I think that this attitude was unfair for a number of reasons. Firstly the afore mentioned mis-selling of the property and consequently the price agreed. Secondly, the fact that I had paid no deposit for the simple reason that I did book very close to arrival, and so it is doubtful I did block any other possible bookings. Thirdly, that it actually states on the owners websites , as I later discovered, that only 100USD, that is two nights rent, is needed as a deposit, however long the property is booked for, which in my case was only three nights in total!!! In her defence, Marguerite did give us a lift back to Crown Point. However, she charged us 30TT more than the official taxi from Crown Point that dropped us off in the first place!

I do not like leaving such negative feedback, and have to add that from what we saw, and my previous experience, Castara itself is a beautiful place. However, I would not like anyone else to have an experience such as mine, and so feel a duty to pass on the details of this unfortunate occurrence. Please take heed, as I know that when I read such negative reviews that I tend to doubt them, as I think that the writer is probably just a big moaner!!! I have left reviews for the Tropikist Hotel and the Banaquit Apartments in Crown Point, in which we stayed before and after our rather short trip to Castara, and they are infinitely more positive! Please refer to them as proof as my non big moaner status!!!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Kate

I must confess that your report came as a total shock to me.

The first thing I have to say is that I had no knowledge that an annexe had been built onto Little House. I apologise that our information is not accurate. From your description it is clear that instead of being a cottage, the property is now two apartments. I have therefore moved our listing of Little House to the more appropriate Apartments category, modified our description and other details and withdrawn our review and recommendation pending clarification of the situation and investigation of this matter.

The second thing I have to say is that I can't think of a straighter, more honest, couple than Marguarite and Sherwin. I am bound to say that I am sure that they had no intention to mislead you. I cannot say more until I contact them and get the facts of the matter.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I sent a copy of Kate’s report to Marguarite. Understandably, Marguarite and Sherwin were highly upset – upset that they had given Kate such a bad impression.

Shortly after arrival at Little House, Kate received a phone call asking her to return to Crown Point urgently. Her only concern was to get there as quickly as possible. There is no taxi service in Castara and Marguarite seemed the only choice. She felt that it wasn’t appropriate to raise the issues and risk a row. As a result, Marguarite did not know of her concerns.

Knowing Marguarite, I do not believe that there would have been a row if Kate had raised the matter. The fundamental problem here – and I can only hope that readers (particularly those in Castara and Tobago generally) do not think I am being patronising or ‘putting them down’ – is that many local guesthouse/apartment/cottage owners are not business people well-versed in the hospitality, tourism or business world. They have only started to dip their toes in the water in recent years. They sometimes see things very differently to visitors.

Marguarite and Sherwin have just finished the new cottage. It is a separate, fully detached, cottage 1-bedroom cottage, adjacent to the original 2-bedroom unit. They were waiting to get some photographs before updating their website and notifying me for the myTobago listings. Because of Kate’s report, we arranged for a neighbour to take some photos yesterday. I have attached a couple of shots of the new cottage below.

Having received another longer booking for a larger party and knowing that Kate and her boyfriend were just a couple, Marguarite incorrectly assumed that they would not mind the cosier new cottage.

I totally and utterly accept this. However, they were wrong – no question. Kate had every right to expect the 2-bedroom cottage that she believed she was booking. Neither this site nor the Little House website gave any indication that there was a choice, so in no way can any blame be attributed to Kate. It was entirely a problem of a different mindset. Marguarite assumed that because they only needed one bedroom, they would be perfectly happy with the smaller newer cottage. No! I would probably have been equally upset if I had arrived and found I’d been moved to smaller accommodation. It isn’t a question of ‘needing’ extra space. Kate had every right to expect what was advertised and what she rightfully expected to receive.

Anyway, it has been a hard lesson for Marguarite and one that I hope other property owners heed. It is vital to describe your accommodation correctly and never assume that visitors will mind if you change something – always tell everyone concerned at the earliest opportunity.

Maurgarite was unaware that Kate left unhappy with the situation. On hearing that she was, she immediately offered a full refund of all monies paid and the mechanics of this have already been arranged. She required no prompting/suggestion from me to make this offer.

Although I am satisfied that Kate was in no way to blame for any of this, I am equally totally satisfied that Marguarite had absolutely no intention of misleading or short-changing anyone. Yes, she needs some guidance on rates (she was expecting to charge the same for both cottages during the low season) and we shall offer her the benefit of our experience on that. However, whilst they have undoubtedly made a mistake, I am confident that it is one that will not be repeated and it has in no way dented my faith in two of the nicest, straightest and most hospitable people in Castara. I am therefore fully reinstating our review and recommendation of Little House On The Hill.

May I finally make comment about Kate’s unfortunate comment that she was ‘overcharged’ for the airport transfer to Castara. Firstly, there is no such thing as ‘official’ taxi charges in Tobago. Yes, the two largest taxi co-operatives issue a list of standard fares for their drivers and this is often referred to as the ‘official’ rates. However, there IS no proper taxi service in Castara. TT$250 is the standard fare charged by all/most Castara owners who transfer guests. This price is clearly shown on the Little House website and on the websites of other Castara properties.

Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Steve,thanks for that work and reply.I couldn't believe that Sherwin and Marguerite would be like that.So thanks for clearing it up.I only hope now thet the complainants respond.
Castara (and Castarians(?))is a very welcoming village and society,and I am longing to be with them again!!
David(counting down) :D
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

I can only second what David said and add that I was touched and impressed at the level-headed and speedy way you dealt with this matter Steve.

Tony

Return to “Little House On The Hill”