Fishing Report 19 July 2014

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
Sterling
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Fishing Report 19 July 2014

Post by Sterling »

Went out with Kester Hurbert hoping to hit the Grand Slam. Went looking for the tarpon and bonefish early in the morning, hooked up on the Bone on the second cast. Shortly after, we had a 20 minute downpour. We could still see some tarpon rolling, but they kinda settled down after the rain shower.
Ran back to the jetty and snatched up a couple crabs at lunch and then went out to the flats to look for the permits. I didn't bring flats shoes, so we had to hang out in the boat and watch them swim by just out of casting range for about thirty minutes. Luckily, a stingray came within casting distance with 4 or 5 permit following him, and we were hooked up on the second of the Grand Slam. After we took the hero shot and placed Mr. Permit back in the water we both looked at each other and laughed. I asked him if he knew what time it was, and he responded with tarpon time.
We returned to where we started in the morning and drifted with live bait. Had a jumper that spit the hook shortly after getting there, then it died down a bit. We moved in a bit, and then had one roll right by the boat. I had to real in and recast to the area he was in. He eventually came back and hit the bait, and took off! One of the best fighting tarpons I've ever had. He ran and ran, all over the bay. Fought him for a while, got him close to the boat a few times. Right as the fight was over, he was tired, ready to call it a day, the hook tore right out his mouth. Definitely heartbreaking at the end, but certainly a great day on the water.
Thanks Kester! Can't wait to get back out there with you!
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Fishing Report 19 July 2014

Post by Steve Pitts »

Well done Sterling

But for the photo - I think that tarpon should count - likewise the Grand Slam =D>
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.

Return to “Recreational Fishing”