Where to Stay for best fishing access.

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Where to Stay for best fishing access.

Post by Ben Meadows »

Hi all,
Thanks for all of y'all's help in the previous posts. I finally have gotten the flights booked for July, after a long struggle over safety, finances, etc.

But, now I'm starting to look into where to stay. Where is the best place to stay on the island, fishing location-wise? Like that is the only thing I care about. It'll all be guys going, so the "resort-ness" of the hotel is not even a consideration.

My top choice is Conrado Beach b/c of its access to pigeon point and bucco. Any thoughts? feel free to shoot me an email as well..

Thanks in advance!

Ben
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Where to Stay for best fishing access.

Post by Robert T »

Hi Ben,

Conrado sounds great as it is very close to some of the best marks. Anyways most of the beaches are just a few minute drive apart so getting from one to another shouldn't be a problem providing you guys rent a car.

Good luck !! (plenty of fish)

Robert
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Robert,
What if I'm not able to hire out a car? haha. I'm crossing my fingers that I can! (or at least a scooter) but being 21 may not get me on wheels. If that is the case, is there someplace else you would suggest?

Thanks again,

Ben
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Ben,

THe trouble is you gotta be 25 to be able to hire a car. (as far as I know). Hopefully somebody in your group is old enough to hit the 25 mark. With or without a car Conrado's still a great choice location wise as you'll find most of the best marks around the Crown Point (airport) area, but a car would definitely give you guys much more freedom. Guess hiring a scooter is a good idea as you only gotta be 18. Taxi could also be a solution.

Robert
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Just to throw another stick on the fire-

Does anyone know anything about bonefishing Canoe Bay Resort? ...from earlier reports, I'm assuming Canoe Bay/Friendship is the place to fish for bonefish, and quite honestly, waking up to tailing fish would be an incredible thing. So between Pigeon Point and that, which is better? (fishing-wise)

Thanks you to any who reply!

Ben
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Ben ,
Be honest , in my opinion you'll have the same chance to catch your fish around whichever you choose if the conditions are right. I only had 4 bonefish during 3 visits so it is hard to give a definite advice.( Hopefully someone else with a wider knowledge is going to fill you in on) Don't forget the far end of Bucco Bay towards P Point can be just as good. I trust that bonefish aren't your only target as you might end up quite disappointed. ( in this case, imo the Bahamas or Cuba shoulda been your chosen destination).

When wading Friendship Flats be careful with the incoming tide as it comes in rapidly.

Robert
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Hello again Robert,

Thanks for all your help, I know I'm probably wearing out my welcome on this forum!
But just in reply, bonefish are not my main target, just a favorite of mine. I picked Tobago just for the reason of variety and shore fishing access. To me, there's nothing like chasing down some tailing bones, buttt I definitely can be convinced otherwise when there's tarpon and jacks in the area!

Ben

PS: I'll gladly help out if anyone has any questions about fishing Belize, Puerto Rico, or the US. There's not enough un-biased information out there, and since i've done it a multiple times, I'll be happy to throw in my 2-cents!
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Ben

I've previously suggested Conrado as a base for a boys only fishing trip, so agree with Robert.
Quick and easy access to Pigeon Point.

Other suitable hotels, close to good beach fishing and within a bike ride of the flats would be Tropikist or Sandy Bay Resort at Crown Point.

The water at Canoe bay is waist deep + at high water, so best fished from low up and you might spot some bonefish tails over on the turtle grass beds by the jetty, but the water also gets murky on an incoming tide, so blind casting is often the only option.

Also be aware of stingrays that like to hang out on the mud to the right side of Canoe bay resort.

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Robert & Steve,

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get closer to take off, but the answers y'all have given have been beyond helpful.

Thanks again!

Ben
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Ben,

Sure thing, you're welcome. My knowledge is limited but i'm very happy to share. Anyway this forum is a mine of info(thanks to all the previous contributors) if you dig deep enough you'll find all the answers you're after.

Robert
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Hello again all,

Had another question to post to the forum- what lures would be best for fishing offshore? The more I read, the more tantalizing the offshore fishing with a local fisherman sounds! I'm thinking trying to request the services of a castara guy for 2-3 days, not sure yet though, but the majority of fishing would be live/dead bait correct?

But for dolphin/small tuna/anything-else-with-fins, what lures are good to use or could be used as barter? :o

Thanks again, and after reading all previous forums i realize the frustration that many forum-ers have felt when people ask a million questions without giving back a decent report. I assure you'all that is not me. I plan to give an in-depth report once I return. Its the LEAST one can do to repay all who have put such great information on this site- for free!

Ben
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Ben,

going fishing with a local fisherman sounds like a good plan. Talk to him if he wants to go trolling or banking.
Banking is ususlly with live bait and hand reels. Slow trolling for king fish as well. Can be very tiring.

Trolling for Mahi Mahi with rod and reel is with dead bait, preferrably with ballyhoo and skirts / squid.
King Fish / Tuna with artificial bait like YOZURI or RAPALA. I have a good collection of different colours
of small to medium YOZURIs which i use according to water quality and day light.
Locals in Tobago often use self made bait as they have the experience what fish in their area like to bite.
I fish mostly in Trinidad waters.

Greetings from Trinidad and good luck

Andy
Frank Butau
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Frank Butau »

Hi Ben

I have only fished tobago waters on two occassions and also took the local fisherman option. If you are going to go trolling then i think Yozuri shallow diving lures are a must in your tackle box. From my experience i have found that the red head yozuri lures get more action.

Left some tackle for the local fisherman (life guard @ crown point) who took me out last time and it sounds like he has been having a blast with a couple of Rapala x-rap saltwater spotted minnows and the redhead yozuri's.Make sure you use some strong wire as you would not want to come back with too many stories about the one that got away. On my next trip (October) i plan to have a go with some yozuri hydro squirt lures as i have heard from a another friend who just got back that they were all broken off whilst trolling (4 in one day).

Have not done much live baiting, so let me know how you get on and what set up worked well.
Do keep us posted with regards to your progress when you get out there. I will be in Tobago in October and cant wait to wet a line. Good luck dude!!!

P.s - make sure you have your sea leggs when you get out there, lets just say that things can get a little bit exciting....hint, hint :mrgreen:

Anybody else over in tobago in OCt/Nov?
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Frank and Andy,

Awesome information, I really appreciate it. For leaders/wire, though, what have y'all used in the past? I had been recommended by a shop owner here to use 100 pound mono, but that's fishing here, not there.

Thanks, and will do!

Ben
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Ben,

most of the fish you want to catch have razer-sharp teeth and will cut your 100 lbs monofilament
like nothing.
I strongly recommend to use wire leaders. I personnaly use about 4 ft of 80 lbs stainless steel wire.
If wou want to hold King Fish with small artificial bait and light tackle, you may want to reduce to 50 lbs
wire or less.
King Fish are very picky and the lighter the tackle the better the results.
Of course all depends on the season, which kind of fish you are likely to catch.
Wahoo and Tuna are hard fighters and a stronger wire is recommended for those fellas.

Reels should retract 2.5 - 3 to 1 or preferrably have 2-speed gears. King Fish likes to follow
the boat and shake off the hook. A fast retracting reel makes it much easier to avoid that.
If you want to spend some money on the "ultimate" King Fish gear, check SHIMANO web site for
SHIMANO "Trinidad" fast retracting reels (6 to 1).

Good luck !
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Ben

I'd certainly go along with the Yo-Zuri and Rapala lures - they are not only tough enough and attractive to most species, but the always work straight out of the box.

I like the Yo-Zuri Tobimaru and Rapala Magnum and red head (white body with red head) seem to out-fish other colours although yellow, green and blue (like a small Mahi-mahi) is also an excellent colour because most predators eat these, including their bigger relatives.
See - http://www.mytobago.info/photos/fishing/dolphin.htm

Another lure that works well for almost everything is a cheap plastic squid imitation - we call them muppets here in the UK. I know that they are widely available in the States, so you shouldn't have much trouble getting hold of some.
They just thread onto your leader line and then you tie on your hook and drop the muppet back down over the hook to resemble a squid. These are then trolled out the back of the boat, say 150 feet behind and they skip across the surface.
Give them a few twitches every few seconds, like your jigging, and the bonito and dorado just love them.
Bst colours are pink, orange and white, but black is very good at dawn or dusk.

http://www.mytobago.info/photos/fishing/albacore.htm

I would be happy using 100lb mono leaders for tuna and dorado (as in photos), but wire is pretty much essential if barracuda are likely, say around rocky headlands and bays, but I haven't had many cuda or kingfish way out where bonito are found.

Wahoo are another matter though and they will make short work of 100lb mono if you're lucky enough to hook one.

Hope this helps

Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Guys,

Thanks so much for all the info (again!)...you cant find this good of information in a book! I went ahead and grabbed some 'muppets' (we call em Octopus Skirts in the states, but they're all the same to me). Also ordered some of the said Yo-zuri's. Really looking forward to the trip.

Just for kicks- has anyone 'ocean fly fished' before? I read somewhere that King David Tours does it for something like, $60us a person..

Thanks as always,

Ben
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Hi Ben, I am pretty sure Curtis at WorkShop Sea Tours in Charlotteville has taken people fly fishing for Tarpon in Man-o-War Bay. One morning last Feb. when I got up eariler than usual I saw him out with a couple of guys who had what looked like fly rods. I don't know what ocean fly fishing is like but the guys were whipping the line back and forth like we fly fish in the streams in Michigan. Phil
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Ben,

Kester Herbert is your man for fly fishing if you'll be staying around Crown Point. He charges 200 USD for 4 hours. Max 4 people I guess so you guys can share.

Robert
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Steve Pitts wrote:Wahoo are another matter though and they will make short work of 100lb mono if you're lucky enough to hook one.
This 35 lbs Wahoo took our cheap ready-made lure with a 6/0 hook, 60 lbs wire, orange squid / yellow feather and ballyhoo.
The lure was mangled in a way that i had to through it away after without a second thought.
But the fish had to come with us :mrgreen:

My preferred weapon for Wahoo is (now) 8/0 hooks, 80 lbs wire, bright orange squid and ballyhoo.
Minus the ballyhoo an Albacore or (most of the time) Bonito will like this lure too.
Attachments
Wahoo 005.jpg
(36.02 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Return to “Recreational Fishing”