Gilpin trail

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
David Evans

Gilpin trail

Post by David Evans »

Going to Arnos Vale next week and am keen to do a rain forest/birding walk with my wife. She would love to go though cannot walk too far because of an arthritic knee;she could manage two hours or so.
Guides recommended on this site seem to do mainly half or full day walks which would be too much. Are there guides who would cater for a more limited programme?
Another day I thought I might get my wife to drop me at the Gilpin trail head and then walk down the trail to meet her at Bloody bay.
Is this feasible;how long might it take;is the trail way marked or would I have to have a guide?
I would welcome any advice
Thanks. David.
PaulineC

Hiking in rainforest

Post by PaulineC »

Hello David

Don't worry about the fact that guides offer half-day or whole day tours - they will be quite happy to give you something a bit shorter. We went on a tour with King David of King David's tours in Castara (he has a website, can't remember the address, but is easy to find). He was very knowledgable and the walking bit of our tour lasted about 2 hours. I suggest you explain the situation and make sure you agree a price beforehand.

An alternative I would definitely recommend is a rainforest hike on Little Tobago, having taken the boat over from Speyside. This is easily done if you have a car, or alternatively you can book through one of the tours. You need to go to the Blue Waters Inn at Speyside, and take Franks glass bottomed boat - it is brilliant and goes in the mornings (9.30 am I think) and again at 2.00 pm. Frank is the original and You get a very knowledgable guide who explains all about the Angel Reef and then about an hour's hike and birdwatching on Little Tobago, which is a bird sanctuary. I should think your wife would manage this and it makes a lovely half day. You can snorkel on the way back. Then you could spoil yourself with lunch at the Blue Waters Inn or Gemma's tree house.

Not sure about walking to Bloody Bay. There is a map of the hiking trails at the trailhead as you enter the forest reserve, but these appear to be mostly through the rainforest itself. I am sure the guides would be able to help.

Have a wonderful time.

Pauline
David Evans

Post by David Evans »

Thanks Pauline,we will certainly follow your suggestion and go to Little Tobago with Frank. I will get advice on the Gilpin trail to Bloody bay trek hopefully at the trail head.
Regards. David.

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”