Castara Banana Boat ferry service put into operation

Transport-related questions and comment
Achim Lewandowski

Castara Banana Boat ferry service put into operation

Post by Achim Lewandowski »

Many of Castara's visitors may have noticed the Banana Boat sporadically connecting Big Bay and Little Bay beginning of March 2007. So far, the time table couldn't be considered as tight and the Banana Boat went on its way only after a telephone call.

Owner Joe Hemster, who arrived in Castara twelve years ago and who is happily married to his Tobagonian wife Estella, explained that due to the increasing demand he plans to set up a regular service starting today. From 11:00 ("earlier, nobody is on the beach") to 23:00 ("later, too many people fell over board during the test phase") the Banana Boat will consistently shuttle between the two beaches. Quite unusual for such kind of a business, he won't charge any fare ("but donations are welcome"). Joe explains his altruistic view:

"People come to Castara to relax and to have a good time. If I can contribute to the relaxed atmosphere, why should I spoil the good mood with outrageously high rates? Smiles are sufficient to me. You know, not everybody wants to climb the steep roads again and again, and Castara's restaurants will also profit from my ferry service", and with a wink he adds "and I will get my money, but not from the tourists."

Questioned about the Quad Taxi service starting last October, which connects the beaches overland and which belongs to an owner who indeed makes a living by transporting passengers, Joe showed his broadest smile and said: "I offered him the night shift, but he refused. If he will change his mind, I am the last one to reject him."
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

early april fool??? :lol:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Ah rekon!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak