Renting Private Cars

Transport-related questions and comment
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Renting Private Cars

Post by Steve Wooler »

I’ve received details of an incident that took place on Tobago yesterday and which readers should take careful note of.

As in most countries, vehicles on Tobago are taxed and licensed for a specific usage. The difference is that in Tobago, the licensed category is clearly indicated by the first letter on the vehicle’s registration number plate, as follows:
  • H = taxi or “private hire” vehicle
    R = rental vehicle
    P = private/domestic
    T = commercial vehicle/truck.
For your own safety, it is obvious that you should never hail or use a “taxi” that does not carry an “H” plate.

However, I admit that I didn’t know until today that some car rental agencies engage in the dubious process of running “P”-plate cars among their rental fleet. The police have tended to take a less-than-strict view, as long as the operator can prove that the vehicle is covered by valid “rental” insurance. It all depends upon who stops the vehicle and who the supplier knows at the licensing office!!!

The police appear to be cracking down. I think this is probably because a number of smaller establishments and villa owners have adopted the practice of "renting" private vehicles to guest visitors without the proper (and expensive) insurance cover. Fine until something goes wrong. However, a myTobago reader was stopped yesterday at a police road check. The police impounded the car when they discovered that the visitor was renting a private “P”-plated car. There was some additional minor concern about the tint of the Nissan Serena’s windows.

Although the police knew that the party of visitors were not to blame and sympathised with their predicament, the party nonetheless had to spend several hours making statements at the police station. They then had to take taxis back to their villa. The delays meant that they missed a tour aboard Natural Mystic (with loss of US$82 deposit/cancellation fee). The rental agency concerned had no other large vehicles available and offered two smaller cars as a replacement. However, when they arrived an hour later, they only brought one car, totally inadequate (and illegal) for six passengers.

Now the moral of the story is obviously to check the registration plate on the front/back of the vehicle when your rental is delivered and to ensure that the number starts with an “R”. If not, you too stand the chance of having a precious day of your holiday ruined, wasting time in the police station and waiting for replacement cars, etc – not to mention the loss of deposit on tours, etc. If hiring from a smaller, less well-known, or private source, the “P” plate may also indicate that the vehicle is not a genuine “rental” car and may possibly therefore not carry the appropriate insurance so essential for your protection – so be warned! It’s all very well wanting to save cost, or saying that you didn’t know – but if you are involved in an accident – and particularly if it was your fault – you could really find yourself in deep s….!

There is one good side to this story and one that I make no apology for mentioning as it simply endorses my recommendations on the subject.

The party booked their car through the online services of a certain well-know Tobago tour operator/accommodation/car rental brokerage service. No prizes for guessing who! This firm act as the visitor’s representative, not simply as an agent for the car rental agency. As soon as they were notified of the situation, they arranged appropriate transport with an alternative rental agency. Bearing in mind that booking a car through them costs no more than booking directly with the car rental agency (they simply take a commission fee from the rental agency), it was way beyond the call of duty to hear that they personally absorbed the US$300 cost of the higher-quality replacement and cancellation fees of the Natural Mystic tour in a valiant attempt to compensate the customer and restore confidence.

As Patrick says (well - you're bound to have guessed), this practise by the rental agencies is totally unacceptable. As far as his own services are concerned, he has promised to contact every rental agency that they deal with and get them to agree, in writing, that Yes Tourism clients will only ever be supplied with “R”-plated vehicles. If they are unwilling or unable to guarantee this, you can expect to see some changes to the list of agencies available through the YT online reservation pages.

This site is not here to promote Yes Tourism, but credit where credit is due. All I can say is that I hear more horror stories about car rental on Tobago than any other subject. Cock-ups and breakdowns will occur, even when you use YT, but at least knowing that you’ve got a good and caring local firm fighting your corner counts for a hell of a lot as far as I’m concerned.

So, drive carefully and only EVER accept a rental vehicle with a registration number starting with an "R".
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Car Hire

Post by Steve Pitts »

Just to mention that you should carry suitable photo ID with you whilst driving on the Island. If your UK licence doesn't have a photo, then your passport and old style licence is the obvious alternative.

Last year I was pulled in by the local police in Scarborough, whilst circling the block outside the KFC whilst my family were inside for a take-away (maybe the police thought that I was after something else). I didn't have suitable ID on me and the car hire agreement was deemed unsuitable evidence. I was invited to sample some 'alternative accomodation' for the night, or untill my ID was produced.
Luckily my obvious charm and good looks prevailed and I was let off with a warning.

Just one thing to add to Steve's advice on only accepting cars with an R prefix in their reg. plate - don't take the P.

Safe driving

Steve
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steve

Nice to hear from you again and thanks for your input.

That's a nice slogan for visitors to remember when hiring a car on Tobago - Don't take the "P"
Steve Wooler
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Private rental

Post by James Blackshaw »

Hi Steve,
This is gratefully received advice. It is ironic that we have just received confirmation of our Villa rental (you know which one) which included a recommendation to contact the caretaker regarding car rental. Of course I have no desire to suggest that there would be anything other than correct procedure in this case, but I think from reading others input it would be prudent to go direct to the extremly helpful Yes Tourism
Thanks
James
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

The said caretaker is extremely helpful. He runs a small tour/accommodation/car-rental service just up the road from the villa. I believe he only has a couple of rental vehicles, but have no knowledge of their type/age.

It turns out that this “P” plate business is a fairly commonplace, particularly among the smaller agencies, and largely because the police have shown a certain laxity until now. However, this seems to be changing and from my point of view, as a visitor, I want to be assured that I am hiring a fully legal vehicle. I don’t want to waste precious holiday time at the cop shop making statements about issues that don’t directly concern me. Equally, if and when an accident or damage to the vehicle occurs, I don’t want to find out that I’m illegally hiring a “private” car and that the insurance is therefore null and void.

I would not for a minute suggest that the source you have been referred to is anything but kosher. I guess you have the option of taking the easy route by using an established reliable source who takes these matters seriously, or shopping around to try - which is fine, as long as you insist upon a written guarantee that you will only be supplied a fully legal "R"-registered and insured vehicle.
Steve Wooler
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Renting Private Cars

This is very helpful and I get your drift. I get so little time away as it is, Iam keen to see that the well oiled cogs are moving smoothly.

It does lead to another question in that while I am away I like to enter into the local spirit or should that be enter some of the local spirit into me. I am not a great believer in designated drivers ( i know the muggins that will end up being it) and given that on many tours transport is catered for, do we need a car at all?

This is not a money thing just practicality. If the answer is 'strongly advised', its the Mitsubishi Spacewagon for me then...
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I don't know about 'strongly advised' - but certainly 'strongly recommended'. Sorry, you'll just have to take it in turns to drive. One of the beauties of Tobago is that development is so low density. The disadvantage of that is that is nowhere has more than a couple of restaurants/bars/shops within walking distance - and believe you me, you won't want to be walking long distances either in the heat of the day, or on unlit roads at night.
Steve Wooler
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

One for the road?

Post by Steve Pitts »

I echo Steve's last remark - especially if you've had a few shandys before your excursion as a pedestrian.
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Renting Private Cars

Thanks guys for the advise and points gratefully taken.

Experienced teetotal wheels person required for weak willed rum punch drinkers :!: :!: R plated car available :!:
Simon

My car rental experience

Post by Simon »

Hello Steve
Patrick from Yes Tourism told me that you had posted an article about my little experience with the police and having returned from the most fantastic holiday we have ever had as a family I thought it a good idea to supply a blow by blow account for others edification.

I had hired a Nissan Serena from KCNN rental (there were six of us), the vehicle was well maintained very smart and in good condition. The car was delivered to our villa on our second day, we were not shown how to operate any of its buttons or given a run around it to look or agree about any dings or dents etc.

Five days into its use I went to fill up at the nearest petrol station in Plymouth prior to our going out for the day on the Natural Mystic trimarin. Turning out of our road I went straight into a police road check and when looking at the standard of cars they were stopping was surprised when they pulled me over.

The car had mirror tinted windows around the passenger area and they told me this was illegal, they then asked for my rental details and took my papers to to their supervising officer. My drivers licence was then requested, which I didn't have in the car, I was then permitted to return to the villa - all drivers, as in most foreign countries must have their licence in the vehicle.

Upon returning, the police were satisfied I was not the car's owner and they then explained the problem with the registration plates, as you have already detailed. Despite being told I had a boat trip booked and that I had my 11 year old son with me and accepting that I was the innocent party they insisted I follow the inspector in his car to the licencing office at Scarborough. It was amusing to follow a police car with defective brake lights, that smoked like an old chimney and which used no traffic signals - however I didn't think any helpful comments would be appreciated!

At the licensing office again the police officer restated their concerns and was informed the car had been impounded. The rental company was informed, but had not arrived by the time I caught a taxi back to the villa.

I must say that at all times the police were polite and courteous and booked the taxi for me, they never asked me to make or sign a statement. This whole incident took about 2 hours, in which time my wife and Yes Tourism were endeavouring to find out where myself and my son had gone.

The vehicle was immediately returned to the KCNN's representative when they arrived at the licensing office, no fine or statement was asked for - which begs the question why was it seized? However this problem was previously known to KCNN, so why were P reg cars with mirror tints in their fleet?

Having arrived back at the villa, KCNN promised 2 replacement vehicles within half an hour (they had no larger cars available), one arrived about an hour and a half later - the other one never did. We never received an apology from them for this episode.

Yes Tourism organised a bigger and better vehicle from Thifty - which arrived within 15 minutes, it was explained to us and we were shown around it in a very professional and friendly manner.

The morals of this tale - always take your drivers licence with you and your rental papers, make sure the rental company's insurance documents are in the glove box. Don't hire a car with mirror or very dark tinted windows and use Thrifty, they are professional. Never hire a vehicle with 'P' reg plates.

Also I must mention Yes Tourism, their care was impeccable, they also made sure that the trimarin's cancellation fee and taxi fares were paid for by KCNN. We were treated very much as friends in difficulty rather than just another client with a problem.

Finally, do not let this episode dissuade you from hiring a car and seeing Tobago for yourselves, it really was only a very small blip in our holiday experience, I believe more pain was felt by the locals out there who felt embarassement at this whole incident.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Simon

Thanks for confirming the details. I am just so glad that the incident did not spoil your holiday. The message for everyone is "Don't take the P". I gather Patrick at Yes Tourism has taken a very strong line to the matter and is now refusing to deal with any rental agency that does not agree, in writing, to NOT supply YT clients with P-registered vehicles. It will be interesting to see if any names drop from the list of suppliers on their on-line reservation service.

I am currently in final draft of an article on car hire on Tobago. Based upon my own experiences, I have to say that I agree with you about Thrifty. They may be more expensive, but they are undoubtedly the most professional car rental agency on the island. In fairness, you pays your money and takes your choice. KCNN are one of the best smaller operators, so it came as no surprise to see them on the Yes Tourism list. However, like all the smaller operators, their vehicles are older and when thing go wrong, they seldom have the same resources and backup of the "big boys" like Thrifty.

Anyway, I'm just glad that you had a great holiday and can laugh about the incident. I loved the bit about the police car's defective brake lights, etc.
Steve Wooler
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Car hire; To 'P' or not to 'P'. That is the question.

Post by Steve Pitts »

Dear Steve and James

I and my friends have used the rental cars from Sunshine tours (Gus Andrews), based in Pleasant Prospect, several times now.
He is one of the smaller operators, but his vehicles are roadworthy, reliable and, shall we say, 'lived in'. His service, by the way, is exemplary.

I checked my last rental agreement, from April 03, and found that our Nissan Sendra had an 'R' (for rental) prefix.
We have booked a car for a week in 2 weeks time.

If I were advising 'the more seasoned traveller', I would not hesitate to recommend Gus, his charming wife and their business. Look out for the little yellow office, opposite the steps to 'INDIGO' resturant (also another highly recommended establishment).

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”