Black rock dreams

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Yavash
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Black rock dreams

Post by Yavash »

Hi, does anyone know which voltage the apartments have i.e 110v or 230v - is it ok to use laptops etc from the U.K?.Thanks in advance.Shaun.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Black rock dreams

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Yavash

I can only speak for the 3 Black Rock Dreams condominiums that I have visited - Mahi Mahi, Flamboyant and Chaconia - but I imagine this is true of all of them...

The apartments have the standard 2-pin (North American) 110v supply. However, every laptop power unit that I've ever come across in the last 10 years will work perfectly. All you need is a plug adapter to convert the UK 3-pin to the local 2-pin.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Yavash
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Yavash »

Great! thanks for the prompt response Steve! Many thanks.Shaun.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Hopefully 3 pin Steve!
Standard US 'U' ground Edison sockets!
I would be wary of a house with 2 pin sockets.......!
Yavash
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Yavash »

?!!!
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Shaun,

Steve's right, all you need is a UK to US plug adapter. We normally take two or three on a trip as they come really handy when you have to charge your phone, electric shaver, laptop etc at the same time. They are pretty cheap.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

You must also ensure that the electrical equipment you take out is adaptable to 50-60hz.

I have fond memories of Ancle, at the Naturalist, coming all the way to the UK to buy a cheap ice machine ... it didn't work because it was 50hz and it cost him a lot to get the thing returned and purchase a more expensive one from the US which is on the same 60hz as Tobago.

OK ... so having had a laugh at Ancle's expense, what do I go and do? ... go to extreme lengths to take a nice Hi Fi system to Tobago on only 50hz without checking it first and Ancle had a big chuckle about that.

There is a sticker on most electrical appliances that tells you what the hz is ... if it is just 50hz it will work in Europe but not on the other side of the Atlantic.

There is a little more to just getting plug adapters.

Hope this helps

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Paul is mistaken there. The hz is the number of cycles the AC the electricity alternates +\- per second.
In Tobago as in the US it alternates at 60hz ie per second. That is the 'hum' you hear from your stereo, in th UK it E a lower note than in the US. 50hz is between a 'G' and a G# 2 octaves below middle 'C' whereas 60hz is between A# and B 2 octaves below middle C
There that has bored the pants off you no doubt!
Appliances such as hair dryers, and presumably Ancles ice maker with a 50hz pump will run a bit faster / wear out a bit quicker but you will not notice.....!
As it will probably have been made in China the shorter life expectancy of the item you will not notice !
My query was with the '2 pin' bit as in no earth, or ground in the USA/Canada.
All electrical outlets should be 3 pin
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Dearie me! :o

The question related to using a UK laptop. Chris is perfectly correct, but I've certainly never seen a laptop (or other low-voltage computer peripheral) provided with a 3-pin US plug. I've checked my stock here and have ten converters from the likes of Dell and Apple, and ALL of them are two-pin flat for the North American market and 3-pin round for the UK. Yes, the sockets in the houses should, and are, invariably fitted with the two-pin flat plus a round earth pin, but within the context of the question, why confuse the reader more than we need to. :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Exactly..Most modern electronic devices such as shavers, cell phones, laptops, cameras etc are designed to function on both electrical standards.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Wow ... Cor ... I am so impressed with the level of rocket science on this forum. :mrgreen:

But please be assured that a 50hz may fail to work ... as per my experience.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

The level of knowledge is somtimes high here, Paul is right about that, but I still have a comment...

For normally common smaller items as shavers, hair driers, cell phones and similars, the comments are correct, if they accept 230/115V and 50/60Hz according their label, than all is well.
And mostly laptops are like that, I´m using my own swedish laptop right now. They have a built-in converter for 230/115V and 50/60Hz. One just need a converter for the plug itself, and such a ones can also be bought here in Tobago.

But if someone are taking a bigger electric unit from Europe to Tobago, than it can be a different story. Because it is not only the volt and frequency which are important, also the power that unit needs to be working correct.
In the electric word we have the Ohm Law, which is valid never mind where you go, and never mind what type of volt and frequecy the lockal net has.

In matematic term it is like that: P (Watt) is the needed electric power; U (V) is the voltage; I (A )is the current.
The electric law say: P = U x I ; or Watt = Volt x Current
And that means if the unit need a specific amount of Watt to be function normally, it also need a specific amount of current, Amps.

In Europe a unit might need 2300W, and that is in Europe with 230V the same as 10A, and each cable area is between 0,75 to 1,5 sqmm depending of the type of unit.
But if that unit is connected to local net in Tobago, which is only 115V, and the unit still take 2300W from the line, than the amps will be twice higher or 20A, and such a high amps will burn the cable quit quickly, as it is twice higher compare what the cable is made for, you might have a fire!
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Adding a note to myself, as I didn´t tell...

We also have the same Ohms Law which say: U (Volt) = I (Current) x R (Resistance)
So if a specific unit has a Resistance of 2300 ohm and is connectet to european volt 230V, than it will use 10A.
If the same unit is connected to 115V, than the result will be 5A as the resistance remain the same.

Therefore smaller houshold items might work in Tobago on 115V, but not providing the same heat or speed.
Yavash
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Yavash »

Oh,my brain hurts! So i need to take two (flat) pin sockets? Thanks guys.Shaun.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Shaun,

UK to US plug adapter.
Attachments
adapter.jpg
adapter.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 9996 times
Yavash
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Yavash »

Great! Thankyou Rob. Shaun. =D>
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Oh Lordy ... I was joking about Rocket Scientists ... hey Ronald, I thought you were a very nice man when I met you ... but you are a true Rocket Scientist as well ... I can't wait to meet you again :wink:

Sheer class.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Paul, would be nice to see you again and that time over a beer or two and not just coffie..

Well, when I left my military service I moved south to Stockholm, I started to work as an electrician suring day time, and during the evening times I study 5 times a week in 5 years become an Electric Engineer, so I know a little bit of each. We were 32 who started but onlý 5 did make it in time..

But even engineers can be nice ones..

Return to “General Questions & Comment”