Holiday Reps

Your questions on medical and security issues
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Holiday Reps

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 15 February 2003

Since Gill & Doug Ruff posted their message (Inn On The Bay, 7 Feb 03) saying that their Kuoni representative had warned them that Tobago was unsafe and that they should not go out alone, I have received a surprising number of emails saying they had been told the same. The reps are doing this simply to 'frighten' visitors into buying guided tours. I would like to try to evaluate how widespread this problem is so that we can name and shame the representatives concerned and make formal complaint to the tour companies involved. May I urge every visitor who has been given this sort of advice, either by tour reps or by their hotel/guesthouse to contact me, in the very strictest of confidence, at [email protected]. Thank you.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ian R

Holiday Reps

Post by Ian R »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 17 February 2003

In my experience holiday reps will use any trick avaialable to maximise their income including generally unfounded security concerns this is due to the parlous way in which the firms they represent pay them. They get a very low basic salary and are encouraged and expected to sell,sell, sell - round island jeep trips, car hire, sailing excursions, beach bar-b-q's, you name it they will attempt to earn commission on it. Our very worst expereience was oddly enough with Kuoni in St Lucia in 2001. Absolutely anything the rep proposed I could get for 25 to30 percent less for the cost of a local phone call and five minutes reading the a local guide book and that is without even haggling!! I can assure you all that we will never travel in the Caribbean using a tour operator again. I would rather do the research myself in advance and ensure the money we spend is maximising the benefit to both parties and the local economy than pay thru' the nose for a service that is unecessary.
Steve Wooler

Holiday Reps

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 18 February 2003

Hi Ian

Thanks for your input. You are exactly right, of course. Some people like the convenience of using a tour operator and don't want the hassle of research and organisation, so good luck to them. However, its intolerable when people are frightened to go out of their hotel because the rep has told them it isn't safe to do so. All of us who have visited Tobago know how untrue this is - I bet 99% of us are SAFER in Tobago than at home. In practise most of the tour reps on Tobago are actually provided by local DMS firms, not directly by the tour company themselves. A pattern is appearing, but I would hope for more input from readers before naming and shaming the reps concerned. If I can get enough evidence, I will write to the tour operators direct and hope that they bring pressure to bear on the reps to stop this shameful practice which gives people a totally wrong and untrue impression of Tobago. Readers - please contact me ([email protected]) in the strictest confidence if your holiday rep has told you that it is not safe to go out and about on your own in Tobago.
Steve Wooler
Gill & Doug Ruff

Holiday Reps

Post by Gill & Doug Ruff »

Just to let you know Steve that we took your advice and made a complaint to Kuoini about this subject. Don't know if it will help but we felt it was important as you say. Hope you can improve this situation.
Steve Wooler

Holiday Reps

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks, Gill & Doug.

I'm pretty sure that the reps are not employed by Kuoni. I've been in touch with Kuoni today and hopefully will have an official statement within a few days. Please keep contacting me, folks - we really need to out the cowboys that are misleading visitors like this.
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Holiday Reps

Post by Steve Wooler »

Whilst re-creating the forum here, I came across this topic and realised that I hadn't posted an update.

Kuoni confirmed to me that this sort of action was not official policy. They also confirmed that, as expected, their Tobago representation is handled by a local DMS firm, not by direct employees of Kuoni. They have written to this firm about the issue. I see no reason to name the firm concerned, unless and until, we receive further reports that they continue this shameful practice.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Health & Security”