Personal Security Devices - Allowed in T & T?

Your questions on medical and security issues
Lars P.

Post by Lars P. »

Hello -

Does anyone know if carrying personal security devices such as shriek alarms in checked baggage will be a problem entering Trinidad & Tobago? Do we need to do anything special to declare them? How about pepper spray? Most of the airline websites seem to indicate these items are OK if kept in checked baggage. I can't seem to find any info on the T&T government websites, however.

I don't want to dwell on personal safety, but it would be nice to know what is allowed, as I will be travelling with a wife and two daughters. Advice would be appreciated.

Take care everyone - greetings from Minnesota. A wierd winter here - rode my motorcycle yesterday on February 12- earliest date in years. Today freezing rain and snow - can't wait for Tobago in March!!

Lars P.
Bryn

Shriek alarms and Pepper Spray

Post by Bryn »

Can be left home in the US Lars. You won't need them in Tobago.

Bryn
Vancouver, BC
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

What a sad world we live in.

John
Mariann G.

Post by Mariann G. »

Lars,

Although I have only been to Tobago once, I can tell you that I have never felt so safe in any other place where I went on vacation (OK, true that my previous trips included Rio de Janeiro and South Africa). And I am a relatively "delicate" and defenceless woman.

I think that to even ask such a question indicates that you do have some misconceptions about Tobago and to suggest that you would need any such devices can be a bit offensive not only to Tobagonians but also to us who are great fans of this wonderful and safe place.

Mariann

8)
Lars P.

Sorry everyone

Post by Lars P. »

Thanks for the replies. I meant no offense to any Tobago lovers - perhaps I should explain where I am coming from. We will be spending two nights in Trinidad, and our security concern is there, although we are not too worried. My wife and I lived in Trinidad for a year in 1982-83, and she was robbed at knifepoint while we lived there. So I think we are allowed a little bit of worry when we return to an island that we have not been on for 22 years.

I do understand that Tobago is a wonderful, carefree place 99% of the time, and that is why we are spending a huge sum to get back there. My wife, daughters, and I are looking forward to it immensely and hopefully we may meet some of the good people on this forum when we are there at the end of March.

Lars P.
Louise W

Post by Louise W »

I didn't know carrying pepper spray was legal! I'm sure it's not allowed in the UK.
Bob White
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Usual precautions

Post by Bob White »

Lars,

Have been a regular visitor to the island for nearly ten years. I have travelled with a young (now older!) family including wife plus two daughters and son and never encountered a problem. However not to say that visitors should leave all common sense at home but never felt a need to carry alarms et al. There will always be the odd unfortunate incident whatever region of the world. My observations are that most of these could have been prevented with the usual precautions.

It would indeed be a sad world if visitors felt unsafe in Tobago.

I'm sure you will have a great time.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

If in doubt ask a policeman-so I did.It is illegal to have mace,pepper spray or other"personal security"devices in T&T.You are in Trini for 2 days then I doubt if you will be ventuting anywhere dangerous.In Tobago the only danger is that of a rum punch hangover.Chill man you and yours will be safe.
David
Lars P.

Post by Lars P. »

OK folks, I understand; we will not worry one bit more about things like this. Don't want you all to think we are some kind of nervous, paranoid types here; it was just a question that came up that I wanted to get answered.

Actually David is probably quite correct, the rum punches will likely be the biggest hazard we face!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Lars P.
Bryn

Re: personal safety

Post by Bryn »

I can see how you would be nervous going to Trinidad again. I'm sure you will take every precaution. Make sure to stay in a good hotel (ie Hilton) there. Tobago is not at all like Trinidad though. I can honestly say I don't feel very safe in Trinidad when there but feel very safe in Tobago. Common sense is, of course, always necessary....no flashy jewels or material items.

I hope you will enjoy this trip.

Bryn
Vancouver, BC
Dave

Post by Dave »

When I was checked by security in Tobago airport (before leaving home) one officer found my pepper spray. I told him this is against dangerous dogs. He told me that those things are illegal but let me give it back in my suitcase ...

I think that is reasonable to have those security devices when traveling.

Dave

Return to “Health & Security”