Tobago Island Suites

21 rooms and apartments overlooking the Mt.Irvine Golf Course
Annika Loigu

Tobago Island Suites

Post by Annika Loigu »

Our family with 3 kids (10, 5 years old and 9 month old infat) are going to stay in Tobago Island Suites that was recomended by our travel agent on detsember 24 for a week - do you have some fresh comments - is it ok with kids? Is that area safe?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Annika

Welcome aboard - especially as you are our first registered user in Estonia. :lol:

The Tobago Island Suites are owned and operated by a well-respected Trinidadian, who is also the Executive Directior in charge of two of the islands most popular hotels. They apartments have been existance for a long time, but previously traded as the Golf View Apartments. Since the change in ownership a year ago, I understand they have been extensively refurbished. Yes, I think your travel agent had every right to recommend them. The hotel and area should be perfectly safe as long as you follow all commonsense precautions.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Annika Loigu

great :)

Post by Annika Loigu »

Thank you for your prompt reply!

It is great to be first registered user in Estonia. :lol: Your site is so magnificent and informative that I am sure, I am not the first Estonian that enjoy this site 8)

Tell the truth -I am a bit less worried about security matters now (I could not sleep last night - yesterday I was reading about all that criminal stuff, if you are traveling with childrens - that is the last thing you want to discover arter booking...) luckyly I found your site...
Camillad

Re: Tobago Island Suites

Post by Camillad »

Annika Loigu wrote:Our family with 3 kids (10, 5 years old and 9 month old infat) are going to stay in Tobago Island Suites that was recomended by our travel agent on detsember 24 for a week - do you have some fresh comments - is it ok with kids? Is that area safe?
Hello Annika! :)
I am Camilla from Sweden :wink:
Have you been to Tobago now? How was it?
We are going to leave for Tobago at marsch 13, if we dare, I am pregnent nog you see!
We are going to stay at Tobago Island Suites, what did you think about it?
Did you have breakfast at the hotel?
Are they some good store near the hotel were you can buy food and that kind of stuff?

Thanking you in advance
Camilla
Camillad

Post by Camillad »

Steve Wooler wrote:Hello Annika

Welcome aboard - especially as you are our first registered user in Estonia. :lol:

The Tobago Island Suites are owned and operated by a well-respected Trinidadian, who is also the Executive Directior in charge of two of the islands most popular hotels. They apartments have been existance for a long time, but previously traded as the Golf View Apartments. Since the change in ownership a year ago, I understand they have been extensively refurbished. Yes, I think your travel agent had every right to recommend them. The hotel and area should be perfectly safe as long as you follow all commonsense precautions.

Hi Steve!!

My name is Camilla and I live in Sweden

Me and my husband are going to leave for Tobago at marsch 13, if we dare, I am pregnent nog you see!
We are going to stay at Tobago Island Suites in Mount Irwin. Do you know if the hotel is very far from eveything?
How long does a walk take to the nearest beach, to restaurants, store where you can bye food?
Do the hotel have restaurant?
We have so many thoughts now because I am pregnant, we are a little bit afraid

Thanks in advance
Camilla
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Tobago Island Suites are located at Buccoo Junction, the crossroads of the main Shirvan (Caribbean coast) Road and the road between Buccoo Village and Carnbee/Scarborough.

The Suites were prevously called the Golf View Apartments - primarily because they overlook the Mount Irvine Golf Course - but were sold and refurbished about a year ago. They are owned by a very well-known and respected local hotelier who is also the Executive Director of two of the island's leading hotels. I think it safe to say that the Apartments will therefore be well run.

The first thing I would say, however, is that like any accommodation in Tobago, you will need to hire a car. It is a 10-15 minutes walk to Buccoo, Grange or Mount Irvine Beaches - (and don't forget that walking in the heat might be a problem). I believe the Apartment may have a small restaurant, but I'm not sure. There is a Chinese restaurant next door. The only other restaurants are a 10-minute walk away - but not recommended in the dark. A car will be essential - but this applies almost everywhere.

I hope this helps.
Steve Wooler
Camillad

Post by Camillad »

Steve Wooler wrote:Tobago Island Suites are located at Buccoo Junction, the crossroads of the main Shirvan (Caribbean coast) Road and the road between Buccoo Village and Carnbee/Scarborough.

The Suites were prevously called the Golf View Apartments - primarily because they overlook the Mount Irvine Golf Course - but were sold and refurbished about a year ago. They are owned by a very well-known and respected local hotelier who is also the Executive Director of two of the island's leading hotels. I think it safe to say that the Apartments will therefore be well run.

The first thing I would say, however, is that like any accommodation in Tobago, you will need to hire a car. It is a 10-15 minutes walk to Buccoo, Grange or Mount Irvine Beaches - (and don't forget that walking in the heat might be a problem). I believe the Apartment may have a small restaurant, but I'm not sure. There is a Chinese restaurant next door. The only other restaurants are a 10-minute walk away - but not recommended in the dark. A car will be essential - but this applies almost everywhere.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very musch for your answer :-)
But we wonder and can´t understand why we need a car?? if there is restaurant near the hotell and the beach is quite near and the hotel have a pool also, if we want to go to Crown Points we can take a taxi?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

The roads in the area are not lit at night and I would therefore recommend that you walk to the nearest restaurants. The Chinese restaurant next door is obviously OK, but the nearest others are further.
Steve Wooler
Camillad

Post by Camillad »

Steve Wooler wrote:The roads in the area are not lit at night and I would therefore recommend that you walk to the nearest restaurants. The Chinese restaurant next door is obviously OK, but the nearest others are further.
Thank you again!
I will clarify that am I going to be just in week 19 and 20 when we are in Tobago, so probably I am not so big then :wink:
We love to walk and if it´s just 10-15 minutes it`s no problem for us. We were to the Dominican Republic 2005 and sometimes we walked about 2 kilometers a day or more :lol:

Maybe we can take a taxi if we want to eat at a restaurant in the evening? :roll:

Maybe we can take a taxi and buy food in some stor in crown point and cook at the hotel?

Is the nearest beach okey ?

Thanks again..
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Camilla, I endorse Steve's recommendation that you get a rental car. Even if you only rent one for just a few days, if you want to see a lot of Tobago it is much better to be able to drive rather than depend on the public taxis. Tobago has much more to offer than just the beaches within walking distance of Tobago Island Suites, and Crown Point.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Camillad

The nearest beach you would use is Grange Beach. See our Review of Grange Cottage for pictures.
Steve Wooler
Camillad

Post by Camillad »

Steve Wooler wrote:Hi Camillad

The nearest beach you would use is Grange Beach. See our Review of Grange Cottage for pictures.
Thank you sooo much, if there is something that come up later you have´t told us, we will be happy if you do :lol:
Annika Loigu

Post by Annika Loigu »

Hello Camilla!!!! :)

We just arrived from Tobago and Barbados :)
It is not easy to be objective - we had several problems. Our baggage came 3 days later and nothing was open because of Christmas. Many thanks to reception lady for asking her relative to open a little store for baby pampers and beach shoes. Thaks to German lady for sunblock too. We had breakfast some mornings but it was relly basic and expensive for this kind of meal. We had 2 rooms: No 205 - water was leaking in WC, floor was wet all the time, they could not fix it within 6 days; conditioner was out of order in living area, same promises; from TV We could watch only Discovery Health :) first 3 days without proper sunny-days things we needed tv...: microwave was new and ok, no phone in this room. Room No 204 - TV did not work at all, no airconditioner in livingroom at all, in beedroom it was wery oldfashioned and noisy, no microwave but WC was OK. Territory was ok, there was a guard 24 h, pool was ok. Hotel looks better from outside than inside. We used a lot chinase restourant next door - sweet and sour pork was excellent :) No good store within walking distance. One was in Buccoo village but no even near food store we have in mind. Best store for food in our opinion was called Penny Saver, they had even youghort. Island in great and people a generally nice. If you have more questions, do not hessitate to ask!
Camillad

Post by Camillad »

Clyde Alleyne wrote:Camilla, I endorse Steve's recommendation that you get a rental car. Even if you only rent one for just a few days, if you want to see a lot of Tobago it is much better to be able to drive rather than depend on the public taxis. Tobago has much more to offer than just the beaches within walking distance of Tobago Island Suites, and Crown Point.
Ever since we booked the trip we have had thoughts of rent a car maybe for one or two days and look around...we love to see new places..we still have those thougts but what WE mean is that we can´t imagine that we need an own car for 15 days?? :roll:
It can´t be possibly do visit Tobago without rent a car?
Now when we waiting a baby we have to be happy to just go away...maybe we can´t do everything w3e had decided from the begining
We just want to have a nice trip with sun, swimming in the pool, see beutiful nature and more....
Camillad

Post by Camillad »

Annika Loigu wrote:Hello Camilla!!!! :)

We just arrived from Tobago and Barbados :)
It is not easy to be objective - we had several problems. Our baggage came 3 days later and nothing was open because of Christmas. Many thanks to reception lady for asking her relative to open a little store for baby pampers and beach shoes. Thaks to German lady for sunblock too. We had breakfast some mornings but it was relly basic and expensive for this kind of meal. We had 2 rooms: No 205 - water was leaking in WC, floor was wet all the time, they could not fix it within 6 days; conditioner was out of order in living area, same promises; from TV We could watch only Discovery Health :) first 3 days without proper sunny-days things we needed tv...: microwave was new and ok, no phone in this room. Room No 204 - TV did not work at all, no airconditioner in livingroom at all, in beedroom it was wery oldfashioned and noisy, no microwave but WC was OK. Territory was ok, there was a guard 24 h, pool was ok. Hotel looks better from outside than inside. We used a lot chinase restourant next door - sweet and sour pork was excellent :) No good store within walking distance. One was in Buccoo village but no even near food store we have in mind. Best store for food in our opinion was called Penny Saver, they had even youghort. Island in great and people a generally nice. If you have more questions, do not hessitate to ask!
Hi Annika!!
Thanks for your answer, I became so happy to hear from you!
Ohh I am sory, it didn´t sound nice about the hotel, I become real nervous now!
Poor you to be with out your baggage, that must have bee so awfull!
Do you remember what the price was for breakfast?
Good that there was a chinase restaurant next door. Was there any other restaurant near the hotel that had good food? Have the hotel any restaurant?
I will remeber Panny Savers So we can by fruit and breakfast. How did you come there, to Panny Savers? Is it hard to come to Crown Point?
Was it near to walk to Buccoo village?
Was there any beach near the hotel? could you walk there?
Where you out any evening, were you afraid then?
Do you recomend us to still go there or to not go?
I am pregnent and going to be in week 19 nad 29 when we are there, do you think there is any problem with that?

Do you think it was very bad to live at the hotel?
What kind of taxi is suitable to use?

Can I use your words about the problems with the hotel when I talk to our travel agency....

MANY MANY thanks Camilla and Daniel
Hugs
Annika Loigu

Post by Annika Loigu »

DEAR CAMILLA AND DANIEL
Do not be nervous! Bright side is - island is really beautiful and if you know what to expect you wont be suprised in bad way... Maybe some other rooms are better..?
We do not knew the price for breakfast, we did not asked directly. They charged for excample 126 tobago money for 1 coffe, 2+2 eggs, 1 becon and 2 orange juice... They ofering dinner too, we did not ate.
We hired a car - Panny Savers has at least 2 locations: from Crowne Point towards to Tobago Island Suites quite soon on your left hand and smaller one was from hotel towards capital city before the mine road.
We tryed taxi too, it is much cheaper and convinient to have a car. One taxi drive all windows open and music loud, our baby was scared, other was so fast and tricky-driving, we fought it was our last trip at all... Rental car was clean and ok, we felt more secure. Buccoo village was really near -5-10 minutes walk, beach was popular within locals that was drinking there, ther are italian restouran we not tryed but other people from our place liked. We liked smal restourant near airport, I cant recall name, they provided pasta and mor like french food and they had birds in eating area.. We allways were back when the sun was down - mostly because our kids. I cant recomend you to go that hotel and we cant say you do not... One more thing - windows had only wooden ribbs no glass and street-noise was quite strong, second room was not that much because extreemly noisy airconditioner. :) And we coud not sleep first nights because of rooster next door was cookeleegu all night long :S. About beeing pregnant - just try to cool down and not to interfere all small unconvient things you have to fase. Please stay out of direct sun and drink lot of water. Watch out when walking around, drivers are sometimes so careles and driving like a hell.
You can use your words about the problems with the hotel. I would like next time some place more near to beach and city or airport-area. Can I tell you more?
Best to you all!!!
Annika
Annika Loigu

Post by Annika Loigu »

You can find some pictures we made:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 2096828051
Regards,
Annika
Camillad

Post by Camillad »

Annika Loigu wrote:DEAR CAMILLA AND DANIEL
Do not be nervous! Bright side is - island is really beautiful and if you know what to expect you wont be suprised in bad way... Maybe some other rooms are better..?
We do not knew the price for breakfast, we did not asked directly. They charged for excample 126 tobago money for 1 coffe, 2+2 eggs, 1 becon and 2 orange juice... They ofering dinner too, we did not ate.
We hired a car - Panny Savers has at least 2 locations: from Crowne Point towards to Tobago Island Suites quite soon on your left hand and smaller one was from hotel towards capital city before the mine road.
We tryed taxi too, it is much cheaper and convinient to have a car. One taxi drive all windows open and music loud, our baby was scared, other was so fast and tricky-driving, we fought it was our last trip at all... Rental car was clean and ok, we felt more secure. Buccoo village was really near -5-10 minutes walk, beach was popular within locals that was drinking there, ther are italian restouran we not tryed but other people from our place liked. We liked smal restourant near airport, I cant recall name, they provided pasta and mor like french food and they had birds in eating area.. We allways were back when the sun was down - mostly because our kids. I cant recomend you to go that hotel and we cant say you do not... One more thing - windows had only wooden ribbs no glass and street-noise was quite strong, second room was not that much because extreemly noisy airconditioner. :) And we coud not sleep first nights because of rooster next door was cookeleegu all night long :S. About beeing pregnant - just try to cool down and not to interfere all small unconvient things you have to fase. Please stay out of direct sun and drink lot of water. Watch out when walking around, drivers are sometimes so careles and driving like a hell.
You can use your words about the problems with the hotel. I would like next time some place more near to beach and city or airport-area. Can I tell you more?
Best to you all!!!
Annika
Hi agian Annika :lol:
Thank you again for all the good information, you are so kind :wink:
We are not nervous about the Island, we have only heard good och nice thing about Tobago and the people there.
What made us little nervous is the standard of the hotel but most of all the
situation of the hotel, distance to beach, to Penny Savers, to restarants etc.
Now we have canceled and booked a new trip to Tobago but another hotel, Surf Side Hotel in Crown Points, it feels much better. In the middle of Crown Point and near everything.
http://www.mytobago.info/accommodation2a.php/24
We can also fly from Sweden Ghotenburg were we live instead of Denmark.
Thank you so musch :wink:
Hugs Camilla

Return to “Tobago Island Suites”