Spiders

Your questions on medical and security issues
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Manicoo? what's a manicoo? Should we be worried?

Jane
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

The manicou (opossum) is the western hemisphere's only marsupial. There's also a Tobago crab called a manicou crab that carries its young in a belly pounch, as a marsupial does. I've read that it feeds on snakes.

My favorite animal that I've encountered on Tobago is the tree duck. We saw a group of them in Speyside, right where the road turns to the Blue Waters Inn. At first, I didn't notice that several of them were perched in the trees! I'd never have thought that ducks, with their webbed feet, could do that. They were very cute.

On our next trip to Speyside .... no more ducks. I asked our taxi driver about them and he said that the villagers decided that because some dogs had killed some ducks that the villagers might as well kill the ducks themselves for food.
:cry:
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Manicoo

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Jane

I may have spelt it wrong and I am not sure if it is a marsupial ... I didn't stay around to check.

Having related this to locals I am told that I have been privileged to have had a manicoo experience.

Going down road to Bloody Bay and thingy appears by side of road with big sense of humour failure and ugly expression on face ... I stop car ... It turns ... raises tail ... pees in our general direction and sods off back into the depths of the rainforest ... we all sit in car saying 'what was that all about' ... and then ...

... there follows the most awesome stench that could easily floor a square mile of human habitation.

I managed to struggle with the controls of my car and my senses and get my family to the Sunshine Resturant ...

The owners were sure we had seen this manicoo ...the rest is the stuff of legend ... but if that was truly a manicoo and you meet a manicoo like this one ... and know it ... take a deep breath, put the trainers on ... and give it some !!!!

Phew !
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Paul

OK - so if we see a manicou, we have to bear in mind that it may not be pleased to see us, and is not guaranteed to give us a typical Tobago welcome!

Having done some digging on the net, did you realise that manicou is regarded as a delicacy - so you could have extracted the ultimate revenge? (Personally, I'd much rather leave the wildlife where it is especially wildlife with attitude. I think this is one to avoid on the menu!)

Jane
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Its amazing how a string about Spiders can get to being one about sheep and goats????

African Short Haired sheep is what we were told they were... on our last day!! Kinda explained the absence of goats cheese on the island eh :lol:

getting back to the topic

SPIDERS

we had only one encounter with a spider, and it was the strangest looking thing... it was see through with the biggest eyes you have ever seen. It was only the size of a normal house spider but freaky as!! For all the world it was like a tiny jelly fish with legs!!

That was it though, just one little eight legged freak!!
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

seems I'm always in the "wrong" places. came here since 96 (twice every year) and live here since two years now.... no spiders in sight, exept the small ones that you have all over the world, mostly eaten by woodslaves... anyone want to talk about woodslaves?

but honestly, no saucer-spiders where I am, who ever started this thread should stick with me for the holiday. no danger here.... :wink:

STEPH
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Mmmm.

If this 'spider' really was as big as a saucer, then it could have been a tarrantula, or a bird-eating spider. They are not unknown in Trinidad and Tobago and are quite common in Venezuela.

It could also have been a whip scorpion, which is not really a scorpion, although it is a member of the Arachnid family.

A friend of mine who accompanies ecology student to Tobago revels in the reaction of his students, when they find a whip scorpion out in the forest. One actually managed to jump on the face of one poor lad.

Don't know about the pong from a manicoo, but an ecology student can let off a whiff when startled, believe me.

I've sent a photo to Steve, in the hope that he can post it here.

[Editor] Sorry, photo lost on publication of new forum

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

I've been meaning to dig this photo out for a few days, at risk of scaring people.

I don't know what sort of spider this is, but it measures about 10cm (4 inches) across. I came across one while walking the nature trail at Mount Hay Retreat. I ducked down to pass under a small 'tunnel' of overhanging banana palm leaves and nearly walked into the giagantic web across the entire trail. A beast like this was literally only six inches from my face before I saw it. Somebody said they are "banana spiders" and non poisonous, although I imagine they could give you a nip if they wanted.

I hasten to add that in the 45 years that I have been visiting Tobago, this is the first large spider that I have seen.

Last edited by Steve Wooler on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

I'm sure that something that size could manage a whole banana - no problem.

Shown slightly larger that life-size, I'm sure that it gave you a surprise Steve.

By the way; is there any truth in the rumour that you are the undisputed holder of the Mount Hay Retreat 100 metre uphill dash record?

Clean pair of underpants for Mr Wooler.

Steve
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

You're not kidding. I was just damned glad that I was on my own and nobody saw my reaction. Thank heavens for the long stakes that they provide for hiking the trail, becuase I was able to use that to clear the web and get through, but it really gave me a turn.
Steve Wooler
Piia

Post by Piia »

Boy, am I glad I didn't see those pictures before our trip!!!

But we didn't see any spiders either. Just CUTE lizards, big and small (though I would've liked to see more iguanas), some "beetles" (don't know if they were cockroaches or something else) and lots of pretty birds and fish. Oh, and a small dead boa ran over by a car on a road to Castara.

But still I think the nastiest creatures Tobago has are sandflies! :evil:
D. Gould
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

spiders, snakes, manicous, etc.

Post by D. Gould »

i just love this site, i read one post and i am drawn to read every single reply.

i am sitting at work reading this and was itching about the saucer-sized spider. it must have been a tarantula, i have heard about them in trinidad, but have luckily just missed them. i arrived after the critter was disposed of.

i am laughing about the manicou (which is a delicacy in t&t amongst "wild meat" eaters). i have only seen one that was "road kill" in trinidad.

i cringed when i read cornelia's post about a boa, that would floor me. i am petrified of snakes. i love the lizards and iguanas in t&t, but the snakes i ain't able with!

i am so afraid of scorpions that even in new york, i shake my closed shoes out before sliding my foot in them, a custom that is practiced in trinidad for fear that you meet a scorpion or centipede or other biting critter inside.

i love trinidad and tobago, but it seems that everything is alive and moving. and i agree, the sandflies are the worst.
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

spiders

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Hi everyone, I would add my voice to the chorus and state unequivocally that, yes, there are tarantulas on Tobago. I encountered one happily scuttling away under a pair of palm leaves after having force-marched my kind and beautiful fiancee through the bamboo? forest down to the beach between Castara and Parlatuvier which has no access except for a trail. If I remember correctly the trail starts to the left of the deserted plantation ruin on the seaside. My fiancee isn´t too happy about spiders, but it is amazing what a quick holler of "dolphins! look!" can do for a diversion...

Anyway, unless You actually want to cuddle a tarantula against its will, I seriously doubt it would want to take a nibble from You. I´d be far more worried if it started to rain on the beach and the only shelter would be the leaves of the manchineel...
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stefan

Sorry its taken me so long to comment, but your post intrigued me so I decided to contact William Trim, who is undoubtedly the most qualified and experienced expert on these matters. William replies
Indeed there are tarantulas in Tobago, particularly in Mason Hall-Castara forests. However, there are no record of any poisonous snake in Tobago.
Steve Wooler
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

spiders

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Hi Steve, I am relieved. I knew what I saw, but all those weeks living on fish and super-strength rum can make anyone unsure...

Return to “Health & Security”