Cuffie River Nature Retreat

Intimate 10-room Nature Retreat in rainforest location (listing)
B G Adams

Cuffie River Nature Retreat

Post by B G Adams »

I recently returned from a fabulous birding trip to Trinidad and Tobago. For the Tobago leg of the trip our group opted to stay at the Cuffie River Nature Retreat in lieu of the traditional Blue Waters Inn. We all agree that it was and inspired decision. What a perfect place for birders. Birds were up close and personal, and a few even zipped through the lobby. The quiet and serenity of this jungle location is attractive to the birds, the birders, and those who just want to relax. Unfortunately, due to the days we were there, we were unable to experience a walk with Desmond, the resident guide and this was a major disappointment. However the grounds were a joy to explore on our own. As someone mentioned in one of their reviews it perhaps is not the cheapest place on the island, but it is far from the most expensive. And it is certainly comfortable and quiet. We were a group of 12 and were the only guests for the 3 nights we were there. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean and the staff friendly and accommodating. We found the lack of air conditioning was not a problem with a fan and our open windows. Being there just on the edge of the green season, there was certainly heat and humidity during the day, but the inn was comfortable even during the heat of the day. Bugs were, surprisingly, not a problem either here or in Trinidad. The food was supurb. Fish was served as the main dish more frequently than I, a non fish eater, would have liked, but the soups and vegetables were delicious and certainly sufficient. I can not blame the inn for my tastes in food, but now know to make note of my preferances on a future visit, and I'm sure Regina will accommodate the preferance. Others in the group who like fish, were thrilled. The soups and vegetables prepared in traditional island fashion were tasty and we appreciated the fact that we were able to sample the local flavor and were not served up french fries or overcooked broccoli. Regina has shared her Callaloo recipe with me so I can enjoy a taste of the islands here at home and savor the memories of Cuffie River meals.
We thoroughly enjoyed visiting with Regina when she could take a break from her duties seeing that the inn runs smootly. She is a lovely, spunky lady with a vision. Treat yourself to a visit to this very special lodge which tucks itself as unobtursively as possible into the surrounding rainforest.
I do hope to return to Tobago some day and I hope the the Cuffie River Nature Retreat is still there to welcome me.

Return to “Cuffie River Nature Retreat”