FIRST TIMER

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Richard Jennings

FIRST TIMER

Post by Richard Jennings »

Hi
I am hoping to visit Tobago early 2006.
I LOVE to snorkel, and HATE noise and air conditioning.

Can anyone give me some clues as to
a). Best areas to stay for easy access to safe and easy snorkelling.
b). Specific recommendations for accommodations?
Myself and my girlfriend will be travelling on a minimum budget, staying for several weeks, so we are seeking cheap, not flash - very much prefer self- contained/self-catering, though all options considered!

Ideally we want to be within walking distance of nice water, but contrarily would consider something away from the sea if its very quiet and green!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Richard

Welcome aboard! :lol:

For the best snorkelling, you will want to consider the Caribbean coast. So, anywhere from Buccoo to Charlotteville. Avoid the Atlantic coast.

It all largely depends upon what you mean by "minimum" budget. The only place that springs immediately to mind is Birdie's Nest in Black Rock.

All you can do is wade through our accommodation listings and hope they give you some thoughts.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Hello Richard

I'm sure you will have noticed that Castara is popular with a lot of posters on this forum. It has a wide range of accommodation in price and quality, and Little Bay is great for snorkelling. I'm not sure what you call 'budget' but there are properties to rent for around £200-£250/week (suggest you look at the website associated with Young's House, that has 4 privately owned houses for rent). Or, if you see Gisela (aka Shorty) on the forum, ask her for details of the guesthouse where she stays - her apartment was great and very reasonably priced, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure you will get plenty of other interesting suggestions too.

Jo x
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Richard, hi Jo,

if you decide to go to Castara (what you really shoud do, because for me it is the nicest place) and look for a self contained guesthouse I think McKnights Golden Palace should be the right place for you. Mrs. Joycy McKnight, a nice old lady, has three rooms (last year I payed 30 US$/day). Two big rooms upstairs and one smaler room downstairs. All well equiped and with a nice view from the balkony into the rain forest. Definitely no air condition. You will not find it in the local tourist information. It was a restaurant before but after Mr. McKnights dead Mrs. Joycy is ruling the guesthouse by herself.
Unfortunately I lost my mobile phone and with it all my phone numbers but if you are going early 2006 I think I can find out before to tell you. Castara - like Jo mentioned already - is a good place for a smal budget ( I know what you mean) - you have nice beaches and a beautiful spot for snorkeling right in front of the beach. You con go by bus or by feet to other beaches like Englishmans Bay and you are very close to the rain forest.

Just let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello Richard,Castara is the place for you!How about Sea Level guest house.Its close to the beach,bars and eating houses.It is listed in accommodation.I shall be Castara during Jan/Feb 06 so look me up and we'll crack a Carib or two :wink: !
David(19 days togo)
Richard Jennings

Thanks for the guidance

Dear Steve, Jo. Shorty and David.
Thanks to you all for your input.
Casastra seems a popular choice for low budget folk like ourselves - my concern is that it might be a bit loud? (music and celebrationly)
Black Rock sounds good - I wonder how the water clarity compares to Casastra, and whether its proximity to Plymouth makes it noisier/busier?
(I know that in the Caribbean being the second biggest town on the island may well amount to very little hassle!)

All the best
Richard
Richard Jennings

I can't spell

Whoops
I meant to say Castara!!
R
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Richard

One must accept that Tobagonians love their music and if you're staying in a village, there's always the chance of hearing reggae and socca playing from a neighbouring property. With everyone's windows and doors open all the time, sound carries and you can't get away from it.

If this was happening here in sleepy Suffolk, it would drive me to distraction. It has NEVER bothered me in Tobago. It somehow just adds to the vibe. Some of my happiest moments in Tobago have been sitting on the deck, bashing my laptop writing our reviews, while listening to a steel band practising in a nearby building or yard, or a church choir qiving it their all.

So, you're going to get 'noise' in any village, whether it be Black Rock or Castara. Forget about proximity to Plymouth - it might be Tobago's second largest community but it is an incredibly quiet community giving the appearance of being a fraction of its real size.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Richard

I don't know anything about Black Rock, but we live in a very rural location in England, so don't like noise either. However, we were pleasantly surprised at how peaceful Castara was, despite staying within yards of Little Bay. I think the only time we were remotely annoyed by noise was the day the street cleaners came down at about 6am, shouting at each other very loudly, but that was one morning in two weeks. Other than that, as Steve says, any music we could hear from the house was not intrusive and just added to the ambience.

But I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up.

Jo x

Return to “General Accommodation”