prescriptions

Your questions on medical and security issues
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

prescriptions

Post by Paul Makin »

anyone know the situation regarding long term 'scripts being filled on tobago?

can uk scripts be used or would we need a gp on island to write one etc etc.

regards
paul
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Paul,I go out for three months each winter and my doc gives me a script for four months made up in UK.I then leave my renewal at the pharmacy and they arrange for script to be made up for my return.I fear you may have to pay full charges for a script written or filled on the island as I don't that there is a reciprocal agreement.
David(9days to go \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ )

ps.I think the maximum you can have script for is 6months supplies-but again I'm not sure.Any NHS admin out there?
Torsten S.

Post by Torsten S. »

I am a GP in Linconshire. NHS presciptions cannot be dispensed outside the NHS. The best advise is to speak either to your Dr. or the practice receptionist what their policy is with regard to longer prescriptions for holidays. Our practice runs a policy of maximum 3 months, but depends on which medication we are talking about. Some medications for example need regulary bloodscreening or regulary face to face checkups. Drs take with their signature the responsibilty for that prescription. However, there are practices, which dependent on the circumstances, might be prepared to give a larger supply. In either case it would be best to first discuss the policy with the receptionist and thereafter if required with your Dr.
Hope this helps,
Torsten
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

just bog stock stuff required here. were down in jan for 10 wks which wont be a problem but we expect to be back shortly after the end of april for as long as possible so thought id get things organised asap !!

erm, nhs admin? - yep, that was us !!! :lol:

paul
Sharon E

Post by Sharon E »

Depending on what medication you require a lot of drugs out here are available without scripts that arent available in the UK. Antibiotics etc dont not require you to see a doctor. Saying that I went to the doctor with a bad ear infection and including two lots of antibiotics 1 lot of antihistamines and 1 ear drops came to less the £20. The uk for a script for 4 items would have been far more. Further more I can get my asthma inhaler out here for under £3 without seeing a doctor less than half the price of the UK. It depends what you need, contact once of the pharmacies out here and ask them in advance you could be very suprised. West End Pharmacy at Canaan is one and there is a big one is Scarborough.

Return to “Health & Security”