Worrying Times in Tobago

Your questions on medical and security issues
Marcus Hartnell

Worrying Times in Tobago

Post by Marcus Hartnell »

I have been travelling to Tobago for many years now and i really consider it a home from home.
In the last 15 years I have witnessed many changes all for the better but on my last trip was very disturbed about a new bar on the island named Shade the activities currently going on there can only be described as disgraceful and will cause detriment to this wonderful Island the sad thing is nothing seems to being done about it.
Without intervention the activities will spiral out of control and the island will become a place to be feared and not enjoyed. :(
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Marcus

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Yes, you are so right. In fact only yesterday I posted warnings on our listings for The Shade in the Restaurants and Barys & Nightlife sections. It is rapidly getting a VERY bad reputation and I strongly advise normal visitors to avoid it, particularly on a Friday evening.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

This is a big concern for all people in Tobago not only visitors as I believe the first murder of the year took place there last week and should not be considered safe by anyone.
Marcus Hartnell

Worrying times in Tobago

Dear Paul&Steve
Thankyou for your replies to post as stated yesterday it is of course of great concern to Tobagonians as they are such lovely people and it is a shame that a few people wish to ruin a wonderfully cultured island.
Yes it is true that a young man of only 26 years of age lost his life just two weeks ago a young man who had not ever been in any sort of trouble but was just in the wrong place at the wrong time leaving his family totally devastated it is sad that these things are happening and we can no longer take it for granted the situation will not esculate and hence ruin a beautiful island.
Mike Derham

Shade

Post by Mike Derham »

A customer was murdered in The Shade 3 weeks ago
Marcus Hartnell

worrying time in tobago

Dear Mike
Thanks for your reply i have been reading your comments in another topic and can only 100% agree with you it is a sad indication that levels of crime are spilling out into tobago and unless people stand up then tobago will become like other countries.
Whilst we still feel that we would not ever stop coming to Tobago our second home we must not become complacent and just be aware that there are some not such nice people and to bear this in mind in not becoming over friendly with people maybe you have just met also not to put yourself in a vulnerable position at any time unfortunately until things are taking control of i.e police,army,governments we have these worrying times in my wifes 18 years of travelling to Tobago she has some true tobagonian friends who,s friendship she treasures so to close just be careful and you will have fun still.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Mike,

Perhaps you should sell your place in Tobago if you feel so threatened?
It doesn't sound like you're a big fan of the island anymore.

Just some food for your thoughts.......
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Bryn

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Dear Bryn, I would just like You to consider how Your message might be interpreted by Mike, Marcus or others on this site, namely " we do not want to hear if bad things happen to Tobago and if You do not like it-leave the island". I do sincerely hope that this wasn´t Your intention. Sadly enough, I have found other examples of argumentations in the same vein which has led others to complain that MyTobago puts a lid on troubles and sticks its head in the sand. Surely that is not what we all want? Marcus seems to have visited the Island for 18 years which, in my eyes, show him to be a diehard supporter of this Isle and with a right of opinion. My personal opinion is that there is a rise of unfortunate incidents on the Island, and, even if they may be considered minor, need to be discussed. I do not believe that "leave!" promotes discussion.
Mike Derham

worying times

Post by Mike Derham »

Dear Bryn
I obviously havent got my message across. I love Tobago and nothing will stop me going there. But I wont let my children go there at the moment because they are of an age when they would want to go to The Shade and I'm not risking that. I have been going to Tobago on a regular basis for 10 years. I have friends there who I consider to be family and Tobago it truly my second home (if not my first ) . Most of the people you meet in Tobago are very friendly and trustworthy like most people elsewhere. I have never been attacked, my house has not been raided but I do know lots of people who have been gravely affected by a certain element in Tobago who now think Villas are ripe for raiding in a particularly vicious manner.
Visitors need to be warned of this upsurge in violence and be wary of it. And the Government of T &T need to do something about it (they wont)
You cannot ignore it. I'm sure its happening elsewhere in the Caribbean as well. Barbados does a vey good job of covering things up.
We cant just keep telling newcomers that everything is beautiful and the people are lovely
Mariann G.

Post by Mariann G. »

I am just back from lovely Tobago and can tell you that I did go to Shade about 3 or 4 times during my visit despite having heard of what happened there. They searched everybody at the door with metal detectors and looked in handbags - so at least some minimum security had been introduced. Also, on the two Friday nights when I was there the place was not too crowded and had a pleasant vibe. I did not feel threatened at all (despite being a young woman).

Caution is of course always advisable, but for those of you who want to have a bit of a nightlife in Tobago I do encourage you to check the place out.

Enjoy,

Mariann

Return to “Health & Security”