Weather in August

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Mandy Earnshaw

Weather in August

Post by Mandy Earnshaw »

I am planning on visiting Tobago in August, but I hear there will be a lot of storms then. Will we get sun during the day and tropical storms in the afternoon? Or is it likely to be cloudy all of the time?

I am really looking forward to visiting Tobago - it looks a fantastic place!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Mandy

You might want to have a look at our Weather page for general advice on the weather and rainfall/sunshine averages across the year. This page also gives you current weather conditions on the island plus links to various weather forecasting services.

It’s obviously impossible to say what the weather is going to be like this August. The ‘winter’ just finished was a record dry season resulting in water shortages and rationing. During the past few weeks it’s done nothing but rain. You could almost be in Britain from the changeability of the weather! However, I don’t notice anyone posting messages in the forum complaining about poor weather spoiling their holiday.

It’s always dangerous to generalise, but the normal pattern is short, sharp storms. It's very seldom that it rains all day. Most of the rain falls during the night, when the temperature drops, so you wake up to the lovely fresh smells and it keeps the island wonderfully green.

Have a great time and try not to worry about the weather – I am confident that you will have a great time.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
SCox

rain oh no!!!!

Post by SCox »

hi i am also going in august and whilst i knew it was the rainy season, your comments of 2 weeks solid rain worry me . i was expecting at least 4-5 hours of sun in the day otherwise my wife will not be impressed as i chose this destination. Please reassure me that this is the case currently as all the weather sites are showing thunder clouds every day

steve cox
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi there

There is good news and bad news - the good news is that you can always change a wife, the bad is that you can't change the weather! Just kidding. Worry not - before I cam to live here I made several trips in various rainy seasons and only once encountered rain which lasted most of seven days solid. Because of the lower prices and quiet of the wet season my wife and chose it for an outdoor wedding - with no regrets. Steve W is right - short sharp showers, mostly at night, or if in the day which will cool you a little, then out pops the sun again. Relax and enjoy the holiday and the occasional adventure of tropical rain - this must be experienced at least once in every European's lifetime, unforgettable and often exciting. All the best, Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Sue Mills

Post by Sue Mills »

fear not! Having just returned I can confirm rain falls either at night or in short very heavy downpours –even the rain is warm! swiftly followed by sunshine, steaming ground and the smell of damp earth, with everything dry again in about the time it takes to down a cocktail………
On so called ‘cloudy days’ the suns rays are very potent and you will tan even sitting in the shade all day………

Ps – Glyn would be very interested in your experiences of ‘moving to Tobago….’
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Sue

I see that yet another British lady has become hooked on Tobago life, or at least the thought of it! Dare I ask what his name was, ha ha, or was it the weather?
I would be happy to advise based on my limited knowledge of the rules and regs. (Or was it my boring life story you were interested in? I doubt it), so fire away with any queries, privately or otherwise, but please don't get too excited as the rules are strict, whilst the loopholes (legal) take some commitment and effort...

Regards
Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani

Return to “Weather”