Rex Turtle Beach to...

Transport-related questions and comment
Marc Jones

Rex Turtle Beach to...

Post by Marc Jones »

How near by hire car or taxi are the following?

Bucco Bay

Crown Point

Scarborough.

I'm thinking mainly for evening meals/breakfast here.

Trying to work out when to use a hired car or a taxi in terms of being able to take in a few rum punches after dinner ;-)

Also, and steers (excuse the pun!) on driving said distances at night (taking into account I am a confident driver but unaware how the roads are between said destinations!).

many thanks for anyone replying/able to help.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Marc

You will reach any of the three destinations within 15 mins, come rain or shine, hail or snow, day or night, taxi or rental car.

Methinks that your web-designer computer precision brain will be sorely disappointed at Tobago's ability to shatter the best laid plans and turn them all on their head, so my tip is to wait and see how you get on - there is no shortage of hire cars or taxis outside of easter/xmas etc so you shan't go without. You will quickly find that any detailed campaign plans go to seed when faced with the laid back nature of people/life, the tiring sun and your body clock telling you that it is 4 hours later in the day and demanding that you sleep!

Sometimes I wake up with a whole list of things to do - I deem the day a success if I achieved half of them. Back in the UK I was the ultimate in anal retentiveness, but have slipped into a more relaxed pace now - as visitors should as quickly as possible to enjoy the island to the max.
I know from our posts that this is a long-awaited holiday, so understand your wish to cram as much in as possible - you will do, just plan a little, not a lot, is my recommended course of action.
Feeling sleepy now - siesta is calling...tomorrow is another day 8)
Glyn Kirpalani
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

I do a very good "blimey is that the time" as it happens ;-)

In fact, amongst friends I'm known to be so late some think I'm dead (in that everyone describes me as late!).

I just don't want to get to Tobago, hit one beach and bum out for 14 days. What I want to do is hit a different beach each day and bum out :-)

I frequently work until 4am here (self employed) so look forward to being on time for once! In fact, maybe that's it - my body clock is so excited it's already running on Tobago time!

The only reason I ask re Crown Point etc is that I'll need to decide whether to drive out for a meal myself or let someone else (ie a taxi) have the pleasure of driving. Being a rum man I can't say it would upset to me get cabs out for dinner :lol:
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Marc

Very sensible to avoid drink-driving - lots of visitors get sucked into lowering their guard when on holiday here, and boozing before driving home, but don't let distance/time of the journey affect your decision - accidents can happen on the shortest of journeys if rummed-up :cry:

To assist you I am going to give you the telephone number of a very honest, punctual and reliable (licensed) taxi driver who lives over the Turtle Beach side and agrees modest return fares for winers and diners - Mr Watson 6860604. His son and wife also drive taxis if he is tied up.

Enjoy - you will find fares cheap by UK standards.
Glyn Kirpalani
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

You're not joking, I live in London and recently paid £40 for 4 of us to travel 6 (count em) miles.

Thanks for the number, I'll be sure to use it!
Sue Galloway

Re: Rex Turtle Beach to...

Post by Sue Galloway »

Glyn sorry to be a nuisance,new to the boards and will be new to Tobago next year! Will be travelling with my sister and was wondering if you could help us out with any reliable and safe taxi drivers? Steve says the taxis at the hotels charge a lot! And obviously the number you gave out before is years old.Any help would be great.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Rex Turtle Beach to...

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Sue

No problem. In our last couple of years in Tobago before we departed (early 09) we used to use Beardy for our own and guest needs: 868 6207449.

He is reliable, olde worlde gentle in manner, nice big a/c car, and has a deep booming voice which makes on feel as if you are being lectured by a King, during the island tours etc. Say hi from Glyn of Bacolet if you use him. Be sure to book him ahead of time as he has his regulars who use him a lot. You can also watch out for him amongst his fellow airport taxi rank drivers as you exit arrivals, if he has not already been booked he will be wearing a white shirt, tall, with - you guessed it - a large beard.

Enjoy your visit
Glyn

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”