Visiting the rainforest

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Marc Jones

Visiting the rainforest

Post by Marc Jones »

Would like to get to the rainforest (sure won't be seeing another in a hurry!) but will have my 8 year old with me. Little worries it might be too much for the wee man, anyone taken kids on the trip?

Is there a "rainforest-lite" available?

Thanks for any help.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Marc,perhaps the walk up to Argylle waterfall could be suitable or drive to Hillsborough Dam.
Have fun,David. :lol:
Stella Porteous

rainforest walk

Post by Stella Porteous »

I know that opinions will differ,but having done a rainforest trip myself, albeit without a child for company i can only say that it depends on your son's likes and dislikes and his capabilities. My youngest grandson aged just 9 would, i know leap at the chance and really enjoy it,uphill,downhill, muddy bits, the lot --but--the eldest grandson aged 12 would think about it and probably opt to give it a miss[he calls himself an 'indoor boy'.] I imagine that there's bound to be someone reading your query who has been in your situation and can give more suitable advice. Stella.
Ian Drury

Post by Ian Drury »

Went with Toby my 8 year old and Elliot my 11 year on a guided walk along part of the Gilpin Trail with William Trim. Both children thoroughly enjoyed the walk and had no problems. William provided a nicely paced walk with plenty of stops to point out wildlife and plant life.

We hired wellington boots at the entrance to the rainforest. Make sure you have plenty of water and insect repellant and I'm sure you and your 8 year old will enjoy it and find it very informative.
Katie

Post by Katie »

i wish i knew you can rent boots as me and my family wanted to go in the rainforest but didn't pack suitable footwear :(
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Rainforest

Post by James Blackshaw »

Suggest light trip for rainforest is to go to Little Tobago on a half day tour.

There were young kids, who coped fine. It is not over strenuous, but plenty to see. Also involves some brief snorkelling over wonderful reef for those that can. Glass bottom boat is clear and great for the kids.

You also get to eat lunch at Gemmas Kitchen, which is great.

Suggest you contact Yes Tourism, who gave us a great day out

Regards
James
KittyWalker

rain forest with kids

Post by KittyWalker »

We went to the Argyll water fall with 4 kids ages 13 down to 5 including an 8 year old . They all thought it was great. Tips.. bring swimming togs so that they can have a dip but share a few towels so they dont whine about carrying them. Take cold water and insect repellent. We wore trainers and rinsed them out at the hotel . We had a very good guide from the forest staff who showed interesting plants eg coffee and cocoa and wildlife. Do not worry.. kid will love it and the way back is downhill ! The trees provide some relief from the sun

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”