Safest place for solo woman to stay - prefer Castara?

Your questions on medical and security issues
Monica S.

Safest place for solo woman to stay - prefer Castara?

Post by Monica S. »

Hello Tobago Gurus

The recent crimes and rapes in Tobago are especially worrying for me, as I am considering going there on my own. I really just want to chill out on the beach in peace, read, paint and eat some nice food, not into tonnes of sightseeing (as I've done a bit of that in Tobago already). I would prefer a simple guesthouse/self-catering where the manager lives on the premises.

Any recommendations? I would be especially interested in the experiences of other solo women travellers.

Thanks for you input.
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Dear Monica,

Our single friend stayed in her own apartment at the Naturalist Beach (we were in another room). I know she felt very safe. The owner, Ancle, lives upstairs. The location, being right on the beach, is perfect. You can cook your own meals or do what we did, which is to eat breakfast at the Cafe Delight ( right on the premises), do lunch in, and go to one of the village restaurants for dinner. I saw several women alone in the village and they never seemed to be bothered by anyone.

Joanne Green
Monica S.

Post by Monica S. »

Thanks for the useful info Joanne.

The recent rapes at Englishman's Bay were distressing. Does anyone know if these people were caught? Would anyone have any other precautions aside from not going there alone (I believe that the woman who was raped was not alone).

Thanks again.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Monica

As far as I am aware the Englishman's Bay incident was an isolated incident in terms of it's existence and in terms of it's type.

You should feel safe in Castara ... in fact you should feel as safe (or safer) there as you would anywhere else.

There are many good hosts in Castara that will make you feel welcome and watch over you if you feel unsure.

Look forward to it ...

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
R Shah

Post by R Shah »

While I'm not female, but I'm travelling on my own to Casatra, I'll be staying at Porridges place.

The guy (and his wife) get consistent good reviews here and I understand the accomodation they rent out is an extension of their house / car rental business.
Helen W

Post by Helen W »

Hi Monica,

I've just come back from Castara - I was with my sister. We stayed at Sandcastles, which is self-catering, and above the owners apartment. I would highly recommend it because the owners (Ria & Adam) are really friendly and will give you advice about outings etc.

I don't think you'll get any hassle - the locals are really friendly and we just chilled on the beach with no problem at all (apart from having a steel-drum lesson from Kenny - but that was our choice!).
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Monica,

sure Castara is a perfect desision for a single travelling woman. I did it eleven times now and the last 9 times to Castara. If you like to be close to the beach The Naturalist is nice and definately Ali Baba's Seebreeze but there is another nice appartement owned by a friend of mine called Green Valley Appartement. It is placed downstairs of the owners house and very pretty, clean and well equiped (if you want to cook your own food). Gaston and his wife offers breakfast if you want.

This guesthouse is still not on this side but we are preparing. I have some nice photos if you want to see and can give you his phone number.

Whatever you decide you will love Castara
Enjoy your trip
Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de

Return to “Health & Security”