Back Bay

What to see, what to do, where to go
Chris B

Back Bay

Post by Chris B »

Has anyone been to this beach recently?
Can someone tell me what I might expect to find here? With regards to the number of people, local vs tourist. And ever so important, safety.

Thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Chris

There are several Back Bays around Tobago. The only one shown on any maps is Plymouth Back Bay - which is not particularly appealing. If you have heard the name mentioned, it is almost certainly in reference to the Back Bay at the extreme south-western tip of Stonehaven Bay.

This Back Bay is one of the most beautiful bays on the island. It is true picture-postacard "Robinson Crusoe".

I visit Back Bay on just about every trip. I have seldom seen anybody there other than the odd local boy rock fishing from the rocks at the southern tip (where it joins Mt.Irvine Bay).

You will find nothing there but lots of golden sand, sometimes turbulent waters and peace.

Back Bay has a bad name from a security point of view. Access to the beach is down several hundreds of metres of unmade track across shrub and secondary bush. This makes it easy for those with criminal intent to sneak up to the beach, grab your bags and things while you are swimming, and dissapear back into the bush. The THA have levelled a lot of the bush in the area to make this harder and I haven't heard of any robberies in recent years, but nevertheless it is just the sort of place where this can so easily happen.

The best general advice I can offer is to NEVER take anything of value there and ideally only go in larger groups of 4-6 people.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
The Back Bay I mention is the one this website has info about. The photo look stunning; I have to experience this place for myself. From what I gather it is someplace AFTER Mount Irvine Beach Facilities.
As for security, maybe I should skip this beach because I would be going with my wife, sister, mother and two babies. I'd hate for anything to happen.
And that's the problem really, so much potential in Tobago but these stories of crime keep people away from places; at least those places off the beaten path. I've grown accustomed to off the beaten path places from the Seychelles.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Chris

Yes, the only Back Bay that we mention in detail and show a photograph of is the Mount Irvine Back Bay. It is easy to find. Drive north along the Caribbean coast. Pass Mount Irvine Beach and the Mount Irvine Bay Beach Facilities (where the fishermen sell the fish beside the road). The road then takes a right-hand bend up a slight hill before levelling out onto a long straight which takes you to Pleasant Prospect and then Le Grand Courland and Grafton hotels. Anyway, halfway along this straight, turn left onto an unmade road. It is directly opposite Gleneagles drive, the only turn along that road. Just follow the track to the end.

Its difficult to quantify the stories of these robberies. One incident can be repeated so often that it becomes a crime epidemic. The honest truth is I just don't know. All I can say is that I regularly visit that beach and have seldom even seen anyone, much less had any trouble.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Collins K

Post by Collins K »

Just a point to note, I was at Back Bay recently. Do not try to go to this bay with a car or any low vehicle or else you will get stuck in the mud since the road is not paved and there are some really deep holes filled with water. A jeep is the ideal means of transport to get in there these days.
It is however a "must see" beach just be safe and travel with a group like Steve said.
I have been there numerous times and the only people I have seen are normally the odd fisherman on the rocks towards Mt Irvine.
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Thanks for your reply as well.
When you went to Back Bay, where there many people about?
And did you feel safe?
Collins K

Post by Collins K »

Well I felt safe up to a point I must say but if you are going there take precautions like I did. I went there to fish and therefore my cousin and myself always have our knives with us anyway so we were not bothered too much. I believe it is safer than the places we visit in Trinidad on the east and northern coastlines. I saw one fisherman on one of the mornings and that was it and he greeted us in a friendly manner. The thing with this bay is that it is far from the main road and you have a nice little hill to walk down to get to the beach so it is really isolated. Seeing that you are the only guy in the group that will be going with you I might have considered skipping this beach especially since there are babies involved.

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”