Island Extreme Sports Skateboarders and Bikers

What to see, what to do, where to go
Rowena Lipfriend

Island Extreme Sports Skateboarders and Bikers

Post by Rowena Lipfriend »

On the whats on page there is mention of an extreme sports festival in July. Does anyone know if it is happening and where I can find details.

Rowena
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

I think the most extreme thing I have done whilst in Tobago is to stroll up Northside Road in Castara following a fish supper washed down with a Carib or two.

Tony
Rowena Lipfriend

You are a lucky man Tony that's what I would be choosing to do unfortuately I have a skateboard mad 14year old who is hoping to meet all his extreme sports heros as well as chilling on Tobago!

Rowena
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Rowena,I have never seen a skateboard in Tobago--anywhere!!Or inline(razor)blades.I could hazard a guess that as the road surfaces are barely conducive to motor vehicles it could be very difficult 'boarding!
David :D
ps perhaps you should take him to Bude next year,for the Downhill Classic(TERRIFFYING) and slaloms-both are international comps,
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Rowena
I totally agree with David, the roads in Tobago isn´t made for skateboard, a lot of potholes are quite "normally". Some roads are OK but the traffic isn´t safe for use of a skadeboard! I´ve never seen any using a skate board or inlines in Tobago.

Even the use of a bicycle can put one in danger on the roads, mostly roads doesn´t have a sidewalk, they are also quite narrow and very often with a deep gutter (if that´s the wright word?) VERY close to the traffic.

The only big flat area I know in the south is the big car park outside Store Bay Beach, local boys use to play basket ball there.

Ronald
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Rowena

I would guess that either Sean De Freitas of Mountain biking Tobago, or Gervais Alkins of Slow Leak Tours would know about the event.

You could try emailing them through the links in the Out and About section at the top of the page - select Activities , then Mountain Biking.

Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Rowena Lipfriend

Thanks Steve I'll try that and if it isn't happening the previous comments about roads etc will enable me to persuade said son to leave his skate board in the UK.

Rowena
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Rowena

Leave the skateboard at home :shock:
A 14 year-old on holiday without his cool dude, life-style statement?

Did you ever watch the Kevin and Perry sketches?

One thing I haven't seen around Tobago are the ubiquitus NO SKATE BOARDING signs that decorate our shopping precincts and parks back home.

Your lad will be in heaven!
Rowena Lipfriend

Yep we're from Brsitol too so I know exactly what you mean! They are supposed to putting skateboarding the 2012 Olympics but there is nowhere to practice so how are we ever going to get a team together!

I bet Tobago gets one though.

Rowena
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Rowena

If you need proof of Ronald's description of the typical Tobago road, have a look here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAg0Xe-k ... ed&search=

The journey starts on the main Milford Rd at Cannan - just before PennySavers supermarket, then along the Claude Noel Highway, by the Lowlands mall (notice the overtaking on the hatched lines, which is normal driving stylee).

On past Lambeau, then at Scarborough (2 mins 45) turns left off the main highway and heads up the Windward Rd, through Providence and Moriah heading for Castara. This is fairly typical of Tobago's country roads.

Not exactly condusive to safe boarding I'm afraid, but there are some quiet side roads and car parks around, although if you're staying around the Crown Point, Bon Accord or Lowlands areas there aren't too many hills. If you're staying in Patience Hill, Prospect or Bethel, then that's a different story altogether.

I'm in Stoke Gifford and you can find my phone number in the local directory.

If you need any last minute info. don't hesitate to give me a call.

Cheers
Steve
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Steve

Thank´s for the link, it really shows the roads of Tobago, even if the ride is bumpy!

As far I could see the trip start nearly opposite the Shade direction Canaan. I stay inside in Bon Accord, opposite Melford Court, by a local family (right hand side direction Scarborough) on a small street in parallell with the main road.

I´m going down next week Wednesday 11 for a six week vacation. hope that I don´t a lot of tropical storms this year. For meeting friends, relaxing, swimming, liming and some long walks this year too.

Ronald
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Ronald

You're quite right about it starting around the 'Shade' area.
Did you notice the steel plate over the pothole on the junction.

I'll never forget that one, after hitting at 45kph on our first visit.

Have a good trip (no pun intended!)

Steve
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

And that was on the Claude Noel Highway ,and some of the major roads on the island!!!!!!(it is also a lot bumpier than the camera showed)
David :D
Rowena Lipfriend

I e.mailed Sean and he has found out that the extreme sports festival is postponed until the end of August but is still happening but too late for us but now we are going biking with Sean instead - Result!

Rowena

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”